A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diaper Cover  (Read 1464 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Samanthavv
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009 12:55:30 AM »

Heh...

It is hulk green! I have three of the covers made up! So, now we just use the covers and put the prefolds in them. It's going pretty good so far! He's been in cloth diapers a little over a week now! Cheesy

I've made all in ones before. It was a couple years ago and they turned out terrible! I was horrible at sewing back then... but I've gotten MUCH better since then!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mommy to a boy, girl and angel. Married to Dan. Pre-med. Birth doula. Pro-life, breastfeeding advocate.
My blog: http://www.anotherteenmom.com
My shop: http://www.boutique.bebebreeze.com
hello.kiddo
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009 11:43:38 PM »

This looks great - good job! And congrats for using cloth. As a po' mama myself, I don't know how someone could afford to NOT use cloth! Sposies are insanely expensive AND so bad for Mama Earth. I actually learned to sew because I was too poor to buy retail cloth diapers, like yourself! When I saw they were $20 a pop and I would need at least 12, I was like, hell! Might as well buy a sewing machine and do it myself.

As one who has been sewing cloth diapers for over 2 years I just have to say that using the table cloth materials is going to cost you more in the long run than if you spent the little bit extra and bought some high quality PUL (polyurethane lines polyester) which is what diapers like FuzziBunz use. It usually runs $7/yd and I can cut 6 mediums diapers out of a little less than a yard (I buy by the inch so I get just the amount I need). I've been using those diapers for well over a year now and they are still standing the test of time and hundreds of washes. The thing with the tablecloth vinyl is that is was not meant to be washed very often. Multiple washes will start to take their toll and soon enough you will have to replace them which will cost you more money and they will most likely have to be thrown away which is what you are trying to avoid in the first place! When I first started CDing I hoped to find a good cover fabric in local fabric shops but you just can't. Buying the PUL that will last years as opposed to months is well worth the investment!

I like to use Kids in the Garden because it is run by a stay at home mom just looking to make ends meet. She's also super sweet :) I actually have 3 yards of PUL (melon, citron, and white) and 3 yards of organic hemp sitting on my kitchen table just itching to get cut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello.kiddo
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009 11:47:30 PM »

Oh, and if you can't get your hands on some PUL, try a using a fleece blanket for the outside! Polyester fleece repels moisture so it's makes for a great cover :)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009 08:37:35 AM »

Oh, and if you can't get your hands on some PUL, try a using a fleece blanket for the outside! Polyester fleece repels moisture so it's makes for a great cover Smiley

Finding polyester fleece blankets at Garage Sales and thrift stores can help cut your costs down too.............
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Samanthavv
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009 04:52:17 PM »

Heh... I live in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of alaska. Our thrift stores kind of suck here. lol As do our yard sales. Tongue

Long run, I'm hoping to get some PUL. I'm just so stinking broke right now. And I can't seem to find anywhere I can get a good deal on PUL. I'm not picky about colors, as long as I'm not putting my boy in pink and purple!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mommy to a boy, girl and angel. Married to Dan. Pre-med. Birth doula. Pro-life, breastfeeding advocate.
My blog: http://www.anotherteenmom.com
My shop: http://www.boutique.bebebreeze.com
ilovesnails

Slugs are just homeless snails.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009 06:48:38 PM »

You can also use wool as a cover. Just takes a bit of work when it comes to wash day as it's all done by hand. I make a lot ove my covers out of old sweaters I get from the thrift store.  They can be used a bonch of times before you have to wash them as long as poop dosen't get on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

riverside knitter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009 08:10:05 AM »

Yep, wool and polyester fleece are great diaper covers!  Plus, you can make pants that double as diaper covers.  Old sweaters are great to recycle into covers, and the arms can be used to make pants/longies.  Here are a couple of links with free patterns: http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/ (there is a column on the right of the page with pattern links)  and http://marthasworld76.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-make-wool-soaker-from-recycled.html.  You can make diapers out of just about any cotton material.  Flannel is fabulous, as are old t-shirts.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Limoncello Ice Cream Float Recipe
Watermelon Soda Floats Recipe
High-Tech Ice Cream
Never Burn Your Muffins or Cupcakes Again!
Fudgy Rocky Road Bars Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...