A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,500
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red Duct Tape Wallet-ish Thing (tute incl)  (Read 5189 times)
Tags for this thread: duct_tape_crafts , duct_tape , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tad1uk
« on: December 10, 2008 10:00:59 PM »

So all the managers at work (5 including me) are getting together this Saturday to exchange gifts and have fun. Well I decided I wanted to make everyone stuff. I was just gonna bunch all of them together and do one post but I havent finished the other stuff yet and I wanted to get this out there haha.
For this particular manager I didnt know what to get her so ended up buying her a pair of crazy socks but still had to make something. So I made her this so she can use it when she goes to the bar for her ID, credit card, cash, car key, etc. and not have to take her whole wallet in.
Ok so I also took tutorial photos just cuz I do that just for Craftster! haha

TUTE:
So I decided I wanted to use red duct tape and found an odd playing card that had a red decoration. I wanted either ace or queen of hearts but didnt wanna use one from a full deck. So covered that with clear tape and then the edges and back with red tape.

Then cut some clear vinyl tablecloth stuff a little larger than the card but I ended up trimming it smaller later. This was all sorta figure it out as I went!

Also cut some cardstock alittle larger than card...also trimmed later. Gift card is to show size. And then covered cardstock with tape. Im sure I could have done a better job but it was my first time.

Ok heres where I trimmed the vinyl but didnt take pics. I trimmed it just a tiny tiny bit bigger than an ID card. The lined the top with a small strip of tape and then taped it around the edges minus the top to the cardstock.

Then with both parts (cardstock with vinyl on top and card with design on top) face up, I cut a strip of duct tape in half and taped the two panels together. This way there will be a little room inside for money. Then turned it over and taped the inside with the other half of tape and then trimmed edges.

So one side is actually larger than the other but will be compensated with tape. Ok now this part was tricky (for me). I cut another length of tape in half for the edges of the wallet. Then stuck it so the sticky was facing out and was also holding the two panels together. You want it to bulge out some so you have a bit of room. Then just put another bit of tape over it to cover sticky. The smaller pic is a front view of it. Here you can see where the front is smaller than the back and the next step is where you fix it.

Here I just took some more tape and pretty much filled in the void so it matched the height of the back.

Stick some velcro in there and viola! (I was gonna sew the velcro for extra strength but it was holding well with the sticky part and i didnt wanna have to hand sew today Cheesy)

Let me know whatcha think and if my tute sucks! haha  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 03:06:39 PM »

Very cute! I will have to try my hand at this Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009 08:38:26 PM »

What a great idea! I am going to have to try it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
a97annol
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009 01:55:50 AM »

That is such a neat idea - I hope she liked it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Stand Up Paddleboarding
Styling the Perfect Holiday Party Look
3 Reasons Why Pencil Skirts Are the New Mini
Need to Know: Oversized Sweaters, Google Flight Finder, and Fab Slippers
Cara Delevingne and Taylor Swift Rock Runway Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...