A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hippo and frog twirly christmas dress  (Read 1948 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KitschyCoo
« on: December 10, 2008 02:27:56 AM »

I had a picture in my head for twirly christmas dresses for dd and dn using the red and green fabrics I have.  Frogs and hippos aren't very Christmassy but the colours fit and I don't generally do what's expected  Cheesy

Anyway, it imagined it with a spotty bodice and four tiers so very twirly.  I ignored the fact I hate gathering and calcuated all the tiers.  First three I gathered with clear elastic, then I ran out (final tier was ore than four yards wide) and did dental floss / zig zag.  Right near the end of gathering the final tier (and at 2AM) the floss snapped.  Then I snapped.  And I more or less just gathered with my fingers and pinned a lot.  Tongue

It's a toss up as to who dislikes it more, me or dd.  She's not into the twirl and it got in her way when she was playing on the floor. So in the spirit of Christmas, I'm giving it away.  There's nothing wrong with it (I'm actually pretty pleased with my first constructed twirl dress), we just don't like it.  It a generous 2T.

To enter, see the details on my blog: http://kitschycoo.blogspot.com/2008/12/free-giveaway-of-this-hippo-frog-twirl.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vwluvervw
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008 04:35:26 AM »

I love the fabrics... great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Munora
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008 04:40:47 AM »

I love it. I hate to gather also. The string always breaks errrrr.....  You did a nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
Denelle
Denelle's Stuff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008 05:45:23 AM »

OOOOOOO, I love it! Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Denelle
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008 11:26:37 AM »

Adorable as usual!!  I feel you on the gathering...  I hate to gather things!  I've heard a ruffler foot is a wondrous thing, but I don't have one... yet.   Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kymy
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008 12:45:11 PM »

I think it turned out great!  I can say I have never had dental floss snap on me.  Thin ribbon also works too.  Depending on what type of machine you have a ruffler may be worth investing in.  I got one for my newer Bernina & HATE it I prefer gathering on my serger.  But I got an awesome 1951 Singer 201-A in perfect working condition this summer with its original ruffler & I LOVE it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
michellesangel
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008 05:07:08 AM »

I really like it, and I am not one who usually likes bold anything!!

A tip I picked up in the kids clothing discussions is to do gathers (or ruffles) without any special accessories. Set your tension AND stitch length to max on a regular straight stitch. run your fabric through the machine. The first 20cm or so didn't look like anything special but by the time I'd finished my length I could definately see it gathered it up all by itself! No annoying tugging on bobbin threads, and I am useless at sewing in elastic (more of a casings gal!). And best of all, nothing snapped. I tore a strip of fabric from one selvedge to the other and it gathered a LOT! I never thought to measure and calculate the difference as I was so busy trying to finish a gift, but it's worth trying out. I was truly and pleasantly surprised with the results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008 01:47:19 AM »

I really like it, and I am not one who usually likes bold anything!!

A tip I picked up in the kids clothing discussions is to do gathers (or ruffles) without any special accessories. Set your tension AND stitch length to max on a regular straight stitch. run your fabric through the machine. The first 20cm or so didn't look like anything special but by the time I'd finished my length I could definately see it gathered it up all by itself! No annoying tugging on bobbin threads, and I am useless at sewing in elastic (more of a casings gal!). And best of all, nothing snapped. I tore a strip of fabric from one selvedge to the other and it gathered a LOT! I never thought to measure and calculate the difference as I was so busy trying to finish a gift, but it's worth trying out. I was truly and pleasantly surprised with the results.

I really like your fabric choices. 
I gather the same way.  To make up for the lack of preciseness in length, I leave a bunch of thread at the beginning and the end of my gathers.  That way I can un-gather however much I need to if necessary.  I made a patchwork skirt that way.  So much quicker!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
J_Kieviet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008 08:00:33 PM »

Haven't you heard the song that made Hippo's the other famous Christmas animal.  Love the dress and the colours look great together, and since it's non traditional can be worn more often - take the sleeves off for the summer and I bet they will fit great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008 10:54:07 PM »

Haven't you heard the song that made Hippo's the other famous Christmas animal.  Love the dress and the colours look great together, and since it's non traditional can be worn more often - take the sleeves off for the summer and I bet they will fit great.

My daughter loves that song!  She thinks it's the silliest thing she's ever heard.  We laughed about it all last Dec and Jan. 
"Do you want a hippopotamus for Christmas?  I don't want a hippo for Christmas."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Aniston: Style Royalty
Style Battle: Beyoncé Vs Rihanna
Stylish Celebrity Sisters
Kate Middleton: Style Evolution
Teen Choice Red-Carpet Hits and Misses
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...