A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: World AIDS day quilt  (Read 940 times)
Tags for this thread: african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhythmgrl
« on: December 06, 2008 01:22:05 PM »

So I was charged with the task of making a quilt for World AIDS day with our patients and a group co facilitator.  We had one month and only met as a group once a week.  An inter generational group came to the nursing home and helped decorate squares that we incorporated into the log cabin pieces... I was hoping to get a little political with some of the fabric choices, which is why I chose some camouflage and the red fabric, i thought was reminiscent of blood/platelets; I also bought an African print... although, I'm more about bringing awareness to the fact that AIDS is on the rise in America in certain neighborhoods and demographics, which is a shame.  And now, off my soapbox and onto the pictures

and the quilt, finished with grommets and secured in the lobby of the nursing home.  It's around 8' wide by 6' tall

The center panel is the shape of the building/the logo for the facility.  I only had my camera phone so I don't have a great pic or closeups of any of the squares... but it was an interesting project and well received, so I'm happy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillvedge
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008 02:27:07 PM »

Wow, it's beautiful!

On another note, your avatar reminds me of the same rainbow brite costume my mom made for my sister probably 20 years ago! I know we have a picture of it laying around somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
3toedsloth

shellfish allergy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008 08:21:07 PM »

great project! it's beautiful and I love the group collaboration aspect of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguinade
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008 05:28:43 PM »

RhythmGirl,

Love your quilt--it obviously means a lot to you.  Can you tell us more about people's reactions to it?  What do some of the panels say (are they rememberance pieces or prayers?).  What does the center part symbolize, and why the choice of the log cabin block?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://penguinade.tumblr.com/
Saving the world, one dancing penguin at a time
rhythmgrl
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008 04:32:19 AM »

RhythmGirl,

Love your quilt--it obviously means a lot to you.  Can you tell us more about people's reactions to it?  What do some of the panels say (are they rememberance pieces or prayers?).  What does the center part symbolize, and why the choice of the log cabin block?

Thanks.  The whole project was a curious phenomenon.  I'm a social worker at a nursing home for people living with AIDS and I cofacilitate a weekly sewing group.  We were given about a month to do the project and meeting once a week for 1.5 hours with people with multiple disabilities posed interesting obstacles. 

I chose log cabin because it would be the easiest for me to coordinate and do the math for.  So every resident who came to the group could choose up to three dark colors and up to four light colors.  The center square for every log cabin piece is the same red as in the center panel.

The denim squares with the sayings are each different.  The residents and staff who didn't want to go to the sewing group came to a decorating group with an intergenerational program and were given free reign over what they wanted to put on the squares.  Some are messages to friends, some are reminders to themselves, some convey messages of hope, etc.

The center panel is the facade of the nursing home, which is also the logo. That piece I put together.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to complete the project as I wanted; we have a panel for the back which has the names of all the residents who have died in 2008 in our facility.  My goal is to add to that piece every year. It may have to be a stand-alone piece.

I apologize for being verbose.  It's a long story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing Items for Sale
Photography News
How to Buy Lenses for a DSLR Camera
How to Buy a Compact Camera
Digital Technologies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...