A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Sopranos"-inspired Guess Who game!  (Read 3212 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 09, 2008 07:27:01 PM »

I finished a Christmas gift for a friend tonight that I am SO EXCITED ABOUT!  I converted a Guess Who game that I picked up from a thrift shop for two bucks into a Sopranos edition of the game!  (I realize that these products are copyrighted and all, but it's not for profit.)  I'm super proud not only because I think it looks sweet, but because it was one of those things where I bought the game months ago with this idea, and in the back of my mind I didn't really believe I'd ever get around to it.  But it's done!

Here is the whole game laid out:

I interneted the character photographs and resized them all to the size of the little flippy things on the game boards.  This was a huge pain for me, as I'm not very computer-savvy and had to do each one manually.  I'm sure there was an easier way, but I didn't know it.  Then I took the files to a print shop to have them printed on cardstock, since I don't have a printer myself.  I painstakingly cut each one out and wrote the name of the character on it.  Then, because I'm too cheap for lamination, I PAINSTAKINGLY covered each one in a layer of packing tape to protect them from Sally's grubby fingers. 

In retrospect, I wrote some of the names too low to the bottom of the face cards, so some of them are kind of hidden behind the little white frames.  But if you don't know the names of these dudes, your license to play is REVOKED.

I also printed an extra copy of each character photo for the cards, and covered the cards with tape, as well.  Another retrospective thought - I wish I had not used a Sharpie marker to write the character names on the cards, as it kind of bled through the cardstock, and if you really wanted to cheat, you could probably at least see the length of the name on your opponent's card.  If I get a chance, I might add an extra layer of cardstock, and then, I GUESS, have them laminated. 

The box is pretty much my favourite part of the whole craft.  I'm SURE most folks would know how to download a free font, but I definitely couldn't.  So instead I found a "mobster" font, went to the alphabet page, took a screen capture of the page, and manually enlarged the letters I needed in Photo House.  This made them all pixelated, but I just manually traced around the edges, and carefully handcut all the letters (check out that tiny gun "R" - it took forever!)  I freehanded the big gun (SNORT) based on the gun in the font, and covered that S.O.B. with silver glitter.  And seriously, folks, I am not generally a fan of gun motifs in crafting, but I am super proud of the way that one turned out.  Also, it's The Sopranos... a gun is necessary, obvz. 

The only addition I am hoping to make to the game is to find tiny little toy guns to use as score markers instead of the Battleship-type pegs that come with the game.  Score markers aren't necessary, but wouldn't that be fun?  The "barrel" of the gun would have to be super tiny in diameter, so I'm not holding my breath. 

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008 07:33:43 PM by grammardog » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008 07:35:19 PM »

Oh wow! That is SO clever!!! Your friend is very lucky!!!  Grin

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008 07:39:52 PM »

I've never watched an episode of The Sopranos but this totally makes me want to! This totally rocks, and I love that the large gun is in glitter. Something about it being a mobster show with glitter on the box totally make my day.

mashley forever

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008 07:40:47 PM »

this is THE best idea I've seen in a long time. I think you did an awesome job.

Boyfriend and I have spent the last year watching the entire series one netflix disk at a time. We're finally on the second part of the last season. It's been a while since we've seen Svetlana and Grandma...UGH I couldn't stand the Grandma!

I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008 07:51:14 PM »

Wow, this is so great!
I can't believe hoe much effort you put in, it must have taken you aaages!

I have never watched the sopranos, so now I am thinking of other TV shows to make my own version of!
Not that I'd ever have the patience of course.

Great work!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008 07:53:10 PM »

Thanks, everybody!

FlashleyAshley - Livia was totally one of my favourite characters.  "I wish God would just take me, already."  Ha ha ha!

There's a really weird scene with her in it, I think in the beginning of the third season?  Can't remember.  Anyway, it was so bizarre in tone that I googled it and found out the actress had died in real life, and they had to put the scene together with pre-filmed dialogue and shots.  Apparently there was supposed to be a whole major storyline in season 3 where Livia was set to testify in court against Tony.

Enjoy the last season!  It is so incredibly amazing.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008 08:32:04 PM »

Well done! I've wanted to do something like this for friends but never got round to it.

Yours looks great, good luck finding little guns ... maybe ones designed for action figures?

I would love to know the kind of questions would be asked to determine who the person is!

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008 08:47:07 PM »

Fabulous! I was laughing because I just started doing one of these for my friend with the exception of it being a Family Guy version. I'm hoping mine comes out as well as yours!
Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008 01:59:27 AM »

Never watched an episode of the show, but I think this is a superb gift! And you have a very nice handwriting Wink

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008 08:08:09 AM »

Okay, so I'm not cool and I do not have a liscence to play because I have never watched the Soprano's, but I can still admire your work. This thing rocks hard core, I am with you on the crafting gun motifs, but your right it is required here! This is fabulous. I am now waiting for the Grey's anatomy, star wars, and star trek versions. I'm sure they will come fast and thick. Way to go you old school or not your methods payed off!

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Cool Bomber Jacket
The Suitsy Lets You Wear A Onesie To The Office
Rebel Wilson Launches Clothing Line
Ellen DeGeneres Launches Lifestyle Line
Luxury Brands Embrace Off-Season Runway Shows
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...