A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Danger Time Bomb - A Susan Kare MacOS triptych  (Read 910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

benjibot
« on: December 09, 2008 10:01:56 AM »

I recently put the finishing touches on a couple of stitches I'd had laying around for a year or longer. I made a bunch of MacOS (as in the very first one) icons when I had some free time and fabric scraps on my hand. Then I put them in a box, meaning to do something about them and never getting around to it. Now I have three more gifts to pass out this xmas.

Because I'm so terrible at thinking of what some people would like as a gift I think I'll just wrap a bunch of things like this (got a couple more in the finishing stages) and have folks grab one out of a sack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008 11:04:57 AM »

Ha! I've totally been following your Happy Mac chart for a Christmas present. I'm so glad to see you've made more - keep 'em coming!

P. S. Please tell me there's a dogcow in the works!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008 11:06:15 AM by Orrkid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
pink tarantula
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008 11:32:06 AM »

So neat! Very good idea for presents, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008 11:35:26 AM »

I love those!  I like using symbols and icons from popular culture in art. Cheesy  

If your Happy Mac chart is free, I'll be adding a Happy Mac to my techy boyfriend's Christmas present.  Where would I find it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008 12:03:47 PM »

If your Happy Mac chart is free, I'll be adding a Happy Mac to my techy boyfriend's Christmas present.  Where would I find it?
This is where I found it:
http://flickr.com/photos/suzy-cat/2967108442/

Just pay close attention to the color of the face if you print the chart - the face looks the same color as the computer body on my printout, but it's not!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
benjibot
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008 02:20:55 PM »

Oh, I've got a better chart than the photo on flickr. Throught the painstaking process of typing each symbol out, then using find and replace to wrap every symbol in a span with the correct class for that color, I made an actual chart for this one because so many folks had requested it.

http://sorrytown.us/xstitch/mac_face_chart.html

There's a PDF file for download on that page as well. Incredibly, the page looks just find in IE 6.0 which I am now testing for the first time at work.

I haven't looked at this in a while. I would suggest stitching the white beneath the screen and below the disk drive (but not the four corners of the Mac). Also, 321 is not Christmas Red.

I'll have to remember to make the dogcow soon. I do have the old trash icon but I ran out of black frames.

One of these days I'm going to make some Windows icons. The same designer created the icons for Windows 3.1 too. She also designed the cards and card backs for the original Windows solitaire.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008 02:25:08 PM by benjibot - Reason: Added some notes concerning changes I would make to the chart if I were to recreate it, which I am not. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008 06:59:57 PM »

The bomb is great. Mighty fine stitching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008 08:04:05 AM »

Oh, I've got a better chart than the photo on flickr. Throught the painstaking process of typing each symbol out, then using find and replace to wrap every symbol in a span with the correct class for that color, I made an actual chart for this one because so many folks had requested it.

http://sorrytown.us/xstitch/mac_face_chart.html

There's a PDF file for download on that page as well. Incredibly, the page looks just find in IE 6.0 which I am now testing for the first time at work.

Oops - you can get to the chart from there, I just forgot to include instructions how to get there. Tongue

One of these days I'm going to make some Windows icons.

Equal opportunity, eh? Wink

The same designer created the icons for Windows 3.1 too. She also designed the cards and card backs for the original Windows solitaire.

I did an internet search yesterday for Susan Kare - her portfolio is amazing. I sure would like to know more about the Digital Chocolate icons - looks like a fun game, and by fun, I mean I could waste hours at it. >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilyvanilli
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008 08:44:34 AM »

Lol, these are awesome! I love the bomb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beefranck

You know what? You know what? Yeah.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008 05:04:16 PM »

These are awesome! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adding some awesome to www.mrxstitch.com since February 8th, 2009
Buy my patterns here - http://www.etsy.com/shop/MrXStitch
Come join us at the Phat Quarter! http://www.flickr.com/groups/phatquarter/
My podcast! - www.emergency-pants.net
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High School Students Invent Popular Spice Mix
Firehouse Chef Makes Guacamole Chipotle Chicken Wraps
How to Make Gruyere Grilled Cheese
How to Make Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...