A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,439
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Etched glass project - TMNT drinking glass  (Read 2365 times)
Tags for this thread: etched_glass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 08, 2008 08:25:30 AM »

I wanted to post because I was so excited.  As my first glass etching project I wasn't sure how it would go.  I etched a TMNT design into a drinking glass as part of my husbands Christmas present.  The pictures aren't the best, but I wanted to post before I had to leave for work.  I'll try to post better pictures later.

and here is the stencil I used

I'm not sure how well you can see but the stencil was meant to be more complex, with the other turtles, but after staring at the thing and attacking it with an exacto knife for sometime, with no idea how it would turn out I decided to simplify to only the center turtle.

I used a stencil I found online, and printed it onto contact paper I had laying around... this sort of worked.  I had to wait for the contact paper to dry (it's a clear plastic kind), and then when I went to start cutting the pieces out the ink started to smear...  Does anyone know a better way to do this? Is there a better kind of contact paper I should buy? Any tips on how to photograph with better results?

Comments/Criticisms welcome!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008 08:30:46 AM by stevensnevets » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop: http://www.cuddleslug.etsy.com/
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

live aloha

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008 09:27:51 AM »

How fabulous!!  I've seen people here use paint as a resist with some impressive results.

It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008 10:49:24 PM »

I've done a lot of glass etching and this looks GREAT for your first project!  Especially with an exacto knife!  Try photographing in a darker room with the flash on, it helps pick up on the design.  As for the contact paper, I can't help you, I've never tried it.  I use painters tape and either draw on a design, freehand, or tape a printout over it.  Or use stickers  Cheesy  But either way, I'd go with a simple design for glass etching otherwise your hand will hurt from the knife  Undecided  It looks great though, keep it up!

Ohh! I'm gonna make that next!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008 11:57:34 PM »

When I did my etching with contact paper I printed out my design on regular paper, taped it to my contact paper and cut through both at the same time. It worked out well for me. Yours turned out great too though! Nice job Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sporty Super Bowl Makeup Tutorial
The Secret to Getting Red-Carpet-Worthy Skin Like Jennifer Aniston
SECOND LOOK: Monique Lhuillier Spring/Summer 2015 - New York Fashion Week
Winter Beauty Myths and Tricks
Facetime Is a Good Time
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...