A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,185
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My hat died today  (Read 639 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shadowstealer
« on: December 08, 2008 12:54:57 AM »

I don't know what to do with this, but i just need to vent this out.

I finished my first project that i was actually willing to wear a while ago and its since become my favorite (and only) hat.
It was nothing overtly special just a grey hat with a crochet brim and a little slouchy, but it was the first thing i did with no pattern and i was quite proud of it ( proud enough i traveled for an hour on public transit to get it back from a friend where i left it once)
It's been kind of warm here lately and i haven't been wearing it, I just located my hat in the last place i would ever want to find it.
My mum washed it, and it felted.
So now i have this dull stiff grey mini hat that doesn't fit, and even if it did it just wouldn't feel right.
I told my mum she'd felted my hat (shes been doing the laundry lately) and she doesn't even seem to care.
I don't know if its just the fact that this was the first thing i made (and was extremely proud of) or if the fact my mum doesn't seem to care she ruined something i loved that's bugging me.
I feel guilty for even being this sad over a hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theknitphomaniac
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008 02:14:01 PM »

Awe! That sucks terribly! *hugs* And the fact that your mom doesn't seem to care just adds insult to injury!

Maybe you could still give the hat a good home. Do you have any cousins or nieces or friends with kids who like dolls and might like a lovely felt hat for their favorite doll or stuffed animal? At least then, it would still be loved and used. Smiley

Or hey, you could even knit a stuffed animal to wear the hat then you'd have a cute way to display your first hat or a really cute gift!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008 02:16:14 PM by theknitphomaniac » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Genesis1:1
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008 08:34:43 PM »

Oh, my heart sank when I read this. i am sorry about your hat.  Does this inspire you to make another?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008 09:05:27 PM »

I'm so sorry.  That totally sucks.  I know how you feel about your mom being unsympathetic.  When I was in high school, my mom once used my favorite ($30) art paint brush to paint the trim in our house.  It ruined the brush and I was absolutely livid.  I talked to her about it and she apologized and bought me a new one.

Maybe if you explained to her that it was your favorite hat and meant a lot to you since it was your first wearable knit, she'd apologize and it would help you feel better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waiting4beckett
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008 11:46:13 AM »

Aw.  Sad

I like theknitphomaniac's suggestions of making or finding a doll that can wear it.

I hope you'll make another one that you love just as much. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadowstealer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008 02:29:14 PM »

Thankyou for all your encourgement,
 I went to her and explained, and she said shes going to buy me a new ball of yarn to make a new one!
I found a new home for my old hat too, It fits my little brother!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to High Light Features Through Lighting
How to Provoke an Emotional Reaction with an Image
Comparison Between Literal Rhythm and Reflected Rhythm
How to Create Personal Distance with our Images
How to Create Good Black and White Tone
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...