A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 307,971
Currently Running With Scissors:
344 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My hat died today  (Read 703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shadowstealer
« on: December 08, 2008 12:54:57 AM »

I don't know what to do with this, but i just need to vent this out.

I finished my first project that i was actually willing to wear a while ago and its since become my favorite (and only) hat.
It was nothing overtly special just a grey hat with a crochet brim and a little slouchy, but it was the first thing i did with no pattern and i was quite proud of it ( proud enough i traveled for an hour on public transit to get it back from a friend where i left it once)
It's been kind of warm here lately and i haven't been wearing it, I just located my hat in the last place i would ever want to find it.
My mum washed it, and it felted.
So now i have this dull stiff grey mini hat that doesn't fit, and even if it did it just wouldn't feel right.
I told my mum she'd felted my hat (shes been doing the laundry lately) and she doesn't even seem to care.
I don't know if its just the fact that this was the first thing i made (and was extremely proud of) or if the fact my mum doesn't seem to care she ruined something i loved that's bugging me.
I feel guilty for even being this sad over a hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theknitphomaniac
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008 02:14:01 PM »

Awe! That sucks terribly! *hugs* And the fact that your mom doesn't seem to care just adds insult to injury!

Maybe you could still give the hat a good home. Do you have any cousins or nieces or friends with kids who like dolls and might like a lovely felt hat for their favorite doll or stuffed animal? At least then, it would still be loved and used. Smiley

Or hey, you could even knit a stuffed animal to wear the hat then you'd have a cute way to display your first hat or a really cute gift!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008 02:16:14 PM by theknitphomaniac » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Genesis1:1
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008 08:34:43 PM »

Oh, my heart sank when I read this. i am sorry about your hat.  Does this inspire you to make another?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008 09:05:27 PM »

I'm so sorry.  That totally sucks.  I know how you feel about your mom being unsympathetic.  When I was in high school, my mom once used my favorite ($30) art paint brush to paint the trim in our house.  It ruined the brush and I was absolutely livid.  I talked to her about it and she apologized and bought me a new one.

Maybe if you explained to her that it was your favorite hat and meant a lot to you since it was your first wearable knit, she'd apologize and it would help you feel better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waiting4beckett
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008 11:46:13 AM »

Aw.  Sad

I like theknitphomaniac's suggestions of making or finding a doll that can wear it.

I hope you'll make another one that you love just as much. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadowstealer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008 02:29:14 PM »

Thankyou for all your encourgement,
 I went to her and explained, and she said shes going to buy me a new ball of yarn to make a new one!
I found a new home for my old hat too, It fits my little brother!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...