A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrift store leather pants to reversable underbust corset.  (Read 7094 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2008 11:32:16 AM »

Thrift stores are a fantastic resource for leather scraps. I had some tie-dyed leather scraps left over from a discharge dyeing project back in university (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=204603.msg2183140#msg2183140) that I have basically been hanging on to forever because I couldn't think of what to do with them and didn't want to waste them. Also in my scrap bin were a pair of leather pants snagged from goodwill.

Then, a flash of inspiration struck and I came up with this. What's more rock and roll than leather pants? A leather corset!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/henabebe/December2008071b.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/henabebe/December2008063.jpg
I was also, of course inspired to have a silly photo shoot.

This is my first time working with leather and my second corset. All things considered I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I used Roethke's amazing tutorial and managed to finish the whole thing in an evening.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/henabebe/December2008016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/henabebe/December2008025.jpg
Annnd close ups.
I'm kind of poverty stricken right now and can't afford a grommet kit; so I ziggered holes for the addition of grommets in the future.

I've already worn it out to several drag shows and gotten some pretty fierce compliments. What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013 10:27:08 AM by rackycoo - Reason: changed non-working images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008 12:06:34 PM »

Gorgeous!  I can't decide which side I like best. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

punka
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008 02:35:34 PM »

I read your title and thought 'woo hoo - leather corset' but I have to say I actually find the print side really striking. On the third photo the lines in the pattern on the front echo/exaggerate the curve of the corset - no idea if this was purposely placed or just serendipidy but it's a great effect nonetheless.

As to the boob issue, believe me, they are looking mighty fine from here  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AllieAnalogue
Analogue girl in a digital world.

Stylist and designer with a subversive streak.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008 02:57:22 PM »

This is friggin awesome!  Your boobs look awesome! 
I love the outfit and your expression in the photos-- it looks like you are going to where this to your job as a secretary, and just be like "what? oh, this old thing?..." when people's jaws drop.
I rocked this-- great job, both sides look fabulous, even without grommets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Allie
Stylist and designer, a fashionista with a subversive streak. I believe that fashion should be fun and fortifying, not mean or oppressive.

My blog: www.AnalogueChic.co m
My shop: AllieAnalogue.Etsy. com
CafePress: www.CafePress.com/AnalogueChic
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008 04:47:39 PM »

I read your title and thought 'woo hoo - leather corset' but I have to say I actually find the print side really striking. On the third photo the lines in the pattern on the front echo/exaggerate the curve of the corset - no idea if this was purposely placed or just serendipidy but it's a great effect nonetheless.

As to the boob issue, believe me, they are looking mighty fine from here  Tongue

The placement of the print was half intentional and half not. When I dyed the leather, it was part of a class project so I was experimenting with different shibori techniques for each piece. I ended up with a bunch of small weirdly shaped pieces, all with a different pattern. I pretty much had to just cut out the pattern however it fit and hope for the best (the seam allowances are interesting to say the least). I did try to mirror similar techniques on corresponding panels but any vertical/horizontal placement is pretty much a happy accident.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punka
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008 07:19:28 AM »

The placement of the print was half intentional and half not. When I dyed the leather, it was part of a class project so I was experimenting with different shibori techniques for each piece...

damn, that's dyed leather?! ...sorry I jumped through from your posting under the corset tute so completely missed your full description. Well then mad props and I love it even more  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merlina
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008 09:48:58 AM »

That looks fantastic. Seriously, the tie-dyed leather is amazing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
japananne
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008 01:42:43 PM »

I.......want......o ne (jealous jealous jealous)

It's ace!  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hulahae Brown

Funky fresh, dressed to impress, ready to party...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008 01:44:50 AM »

Fabulous! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008 03:12:59 AM »

looks awesome!!
nice work Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating a Pressed Flower Frame-Over Photo
Preparing Flowers for the Press
Drying Pressed Flowers
Microwave Flower Pressing
Selecting Flowers to Press
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...