A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,179
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Conundrum.  (Read 546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rincaro
« on: March 10, 2005 05:32:19 AM »

I'm a newbie knitter and I have a few questions about yarn. Let me start off by saying that I'm a very strict vegetarian (almost vegan) so using animal fibers is not something I'm so sure about. But I certainly can't make everything I knit out of cotton or linen. And then there's acrylic = petroleum = ecological nightmare.... *sigh*

So tell me about yarns. 
Are there animal fiber yarns that could be considered "animal-friendly"?
For plant fibers - what brands/types are good, bad, or just plain ugly?

I'm knitting a baby blanket in a very soft acrylic blend right now. It's my first project and I already did a hat in the same yarn. But then everywhere I go I see "acrylic is teh suck!". Who knew knitting would cause such a moral/ethical dilemna for me? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005 06:24:16 AM »

This topic has been discussed extensively in this thread:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=13227.0

If you are interested in avoiding animal fibre altogether, there are interesting (but costly) yarns made from soy protein (soy silk) and corn. There's also Tencel/Lyocell, a softwood-cellulose based fibre like rayon that is produced using a non-polluting process. It's a good alternative to cotton, which can be an environmental disaster.

There's also a big difference in the ways that industrial and artisanal producers treat (and think about) their animals. You might feel more comfortable buying yarn from a small producer, or a fair-trade source.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005 06:32:43 AM »

Hmm, I'm going to have to add something about fiber qualities to the knitting FAQ.
Anyway, there's a huge thread about ethical dillemas and yarn choices here.  Long story short: only you can decide where the line lies, and every mass produced yarn has it's downside (animal fibers are from animals, plant fibers usually involve lots of pesticides, synthetics are petroleum products).  I personally think your best bet to be an ethical yarn buyer is to think small producers.  You can get organic cotton yarn, or wool from small farms and/or local spinners (some small yarn producers even list the name of the sheep on the skein of yarn.
Here are some general thoughts about fibers:
Wool: really the ideal knitting fiber.  It's got some natural resilience/bounce, it's warm, even when wet (wool can actually hold 30% of its weight in water without feeling wet), it blocks well, and it's feltable.  Also, there are tons of choices (sheep breeds) to choose from for different qualities (hard wearing vs softness for example).(cons: comes from an animal, can be itchy, some people are allergic)
Other animal fibers have some or all of these qualities.

Plant fibers (cotton, linen, hemp, etc) tend to be very inelastic (so no bounce to the yarn, so cables don't show up well and ribbing won't be as stretchy), they can make great summer things, but are actually heavier than wool for the same volume.  Tend to stretch out/get heavy when wet.  

Synthetic fibers (acrylic, nylon, etc) can be spun to have any number of different properties in terms of weight and texture.  Some are scratchy, some are soft.  The really finely spun, soft fluffy ones, however, tend to get pilly after a while.  And synthetics in general are subject to melting (if they get ironed or something on accident).  They also don't insulate as well as wool.  That said, you can get some really neat effects with synthetics.  And a bit of synthetic added to wool adds stability and strength, so your piece won't wear out as fast .  (Which is why sock yarn almost always has some nylon in it).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rincaro
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005 06:40:27 AM »

Thank you both so much for the link. I did some searching but must have missed that thread. Off for reading! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a Shadow Effect in Photoshop CS3
How to Insert and Modify a Text in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Design the Flash Messaging Area in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Navigation Bar in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Header in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...