A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hat Blocking question  (Read 891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trio
« on: March 07, 2005 06:25:19 AM »

Hi - just completed Hot Head from Sn'B and it turned out pretty good for only my second knitting project!

It fits me quite well, but I'd like it to be a little more snug, as right now it "embraces" my head rather than "hugs" it! I'm afraid that in a strong wind it'll fly away, or at the very least I'll be paranoid about it and it'll annoy me.

I've sewn it all up and now I'm wondering....how does one block hats? Should I just do as Debbie S. says and handwash it and lay it on towels? Or do I have to construct some blocking shape out of wire etc. (please God no!). I've Googled and Googled and the closest mention I found to blocking hats was some lady who uses old plastic ice cream tubs as a block, but I'm afraid that'll distort the shape.

Also I'm concerned that blocking it will make it stretch as opposed to reducing it slightly. By the way, it's a cotton/wool mix.

THANKS!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005 06:59:53 AM »

You can block it flat. Wet it, squeeze out the excess water in a towel and coax it lengthwise to make it a bit narrower. If you can pin it to a firm cusion or a piece of styrofoam, even better.

The thing about blocking is that what you lose in width you gain in length, and vice versa. So you'll end up with a "taller" hat.

Blocking over a form is more useful when you're trying to make it a bit wider.

By the way, if you were getting the right gauge with the yarn you used, your hat probably ended up a bit loose because cotton is much more 'lax' than wool. In fact, you may find that your hat stretches back out with wear, because cotton also lacks wool's 'memory'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trio
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005 07:36:42 AM »

Thanks so much for such a quick response!   Kiss

I'll do as you say and pin it to my big sofa arm. I guess it makes common sense to put a plastic bag underneath, or something.

I don't mind it being "taller" because Hot Head isn't a particularly deep hat anyway - just covers the top 1/3 of the ears. I swear, when I got gauge, I was so proud! Got all excited and was showing my b.f. and he was just  Huh ".....that's.......uh.....grea t?......"

So cotton tends to stretch with time, eh? Wow, so many little details to learn.......!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005 08:48:39 AM »

Depending on your "target" size and shape, you can block on a stack of small plates or a bowl, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betsyjean79
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005 04:10:09 AM »

I have a couple of styrofoam heads I use for blocking. They are the required head shape, and I can stick pins in it. I bought them at a beauty supply store for 2.99 each. The heads are a bit smaller than my biscuit head, so I sometimes pad them with a towel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisascenic
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005 07:13:13 AM »

I would be careful if steam blocking a hat on a foam head!  With my luck, I would melt the foam...

I really like steam blocking for hats.  You can see your stitches even-ing out as you "puff" your hat with steam from your iron.  Obviously, you need to take care not to scorch your fingers!

Those heads always strike me as sad and creepy.  Probably because nobody can resist drawing woeful facial features on them.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005 07:15:52 AM by lisascenic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chris Parkinson Performs His Poem "Men of Straw"
How to Write a Research Paper
Barbara Arrowsmith-Young on The Woman Who Changed Her Brain
The Painted Bridge Book Trailer
The Changeling Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...