A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Death in the family... need sentimental gift ideas!!!  (Read 11258 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

devonrhunt
« on: December 07, 2008 07:53:35 AM »

Ok, this is sort of complicated, I guess, but my cousin, who is also my best friend, her dad (my uncle) passed away in October.  She told me that she would like a scrapbook of him for Christmas, which would be the PERFECT gift if it were not for the fact that I'm totally NOT a scrapbooker.  Those things are brilliant but they take TONS of time to get them to be as special as I would like and as a full time student and mother of 2, I simply don't have the resources to make a project like that happen in time.  I really want to give her something that would be meaningful and I usually can come up with something pretty good, but this year my brain is burnt out.  PLEASE HELP ME!

I'll tell you a bit about them and you can do the mental footwork for me, ok?  hehe.

His name was Paul.  He was a sort of jack of all trades.  He loved garage sales.  He had the biggest heart of anyone I've ever known.  He loved scratch off lotto tickets, travel and liquor.  Smiley 

Our family has a pretty good sense of humor, but pretty sentimental, so something that would make her sob uncontrollably would be ideal.  Wink 

Thanks for reading and I hope someone has some ideas they are willing to let me steal.  Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help stop plate tectonics!

I talk to myself because I like to associate with a better class of people..
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008 08:08:02 AM »

The Chirstmas gift my daughter is making for her daddy is something that is definitely something you could get done in time.  It's a framed picture titled Daddy's Words with a 4x6 pic of them smack in the center of the 8x10.  All around in different fonts/sizes are the things he says all the time.  Goofy sayings "It'll put hair on your chest," his off since of humor "Pull my finger," to "Clean your room."  All dad's have a ton of them.  It would be especially nice since she won't get the chance to hear them from him anymore.  Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  Good luck and my condolances to your family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
scrappygirl085
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008 08:47:54 AM »

You could ask family members/friends to each make a page about him.  Provide the cardstock -- to fit the size of the pre-made album that you want to put together -- and some simple instructions: to please put a picture of him and a few sentences about him or a funny story about him on their page.  Ask that they return their pages to you by a certain date so you have time to assemble the book. Each person will have a different memory of your uncle that will be heartwarming to the whole family.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
devonrhunt
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008 10:58:59 AM »

oh my gosh, I had that same idea which is so weird, but I guess I forgot an important bit if information; I live about 3 hours from the family so a collaborative effort is a lot harder.  I was going to make journal of sorts where everyone would write their favorite story about him in it and I'd paste photos and stuff in there but the idea received lukewarm responses from my DH and my mom.  I guess since they know it would be an undertaking to do it from this far away and plus everyone has their own stuff to do/make for Xmas.  It really is a good idea... maybe I see if anyone wants to assist me... If it doesn't pan out though, I'd still like to have a backup idea, you know?  Thanks for the help though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devonrhunt
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008 11:03:53 AM »

The Chirstmas gift my daughter is making for her daddy is something that is definitely something you could get done in time.  It's a framed picture titled Daddy's Words with a 4x6 pic of them smack in the center of the 8x10.  All around in different fonts/sizes are the things he says all the time.  Goofy sayings "It'll put hair on your chest," his off since of humor "Pull my finger," to "Clean your room."  All dad's have a ton of them.  It would be especially nice since she won't get the chance to hear them from him anymore.  Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  Good luck and my condolances to your family.

This is a perfect idea!  I am getting a little weepy thinking about this, too!  We talked about all of his funny "Paul-isms" all the time and she will truely love this, I think.  Our favorite is "Do you know what they say in Russia about that?  Tough shitskis".  Wink  Thank you so much for this idea too!  Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnicula
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008 01:33:11 PM »

It sounds like you've already found an idea that you like, but I thought that I would mention that a number of places allow you to make a photobook: a bound book of photos and captions that you design and order online using pre-made themes and layouts. For example: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoBookOverview.jsp?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
joyxiii
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008 05:42:44 PM »

I like the ideas that have already been posted for you.  I thought I would mention a gift that I received that means a lot to me.  After my dad and bumpa died, one of my aunts took two dress shirts (one was a pastor, the other a principal so they wore them a lot) and made pillows.  The neck is still intact on the top and the buttons go down the front.  I also kept a tie that was frequently worn with each shirt that I can put on the pillow.  If there is a particular shirt that would remind her of him (maybe a flannel shirt that he always wore when doing work around the house or a favorite shirt from travels), that would work.  Anyway, just another idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
devonrhunt
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008 07:02:00 PM »

Oh, wow, those are good ones!  I never thought of a photo book!  I like the pillow one too... If I could get my grubby little hands on one of his shirts before Xmas I could make one of those too!  Thanks, guys.  I these are really great ideas.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blungoldangel
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008 11:46:33 AM »

My grandfather passed away last spring and my grandma knows he was really important to me so she gave me a "in our hearts forever" christmas tree ornament.  Hers wasn't handmade but it was thoughtful.  You could do one with his picture so that he can still help decorate the tree every year. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tubamaniac
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009 06:13:53 PM »

My Mom gives these to family members after every funeral she goes too.  She works at the local senior center so she goes to many of them.  She will make a nice little booklet and put it in the photo pouch in front.  Sometimes she will include some sort of keepsake in the pouch but mostly she leaves that up to the receiver.

The children appreciate them.

There is a loop so it can be hung from a Christmas Tree as a memory ornament.

Here is a link  http://www.sunshinejoy.com/angel_bear.asp?Item=60001&Name=Angel_Bears
Peace
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Bobo Haha from Generator Rex
How to Draw Botasky from Apocalypse Meow
How to Draw Generator Rex
Post-Childhood Prodigies
Post-Childhood Prodigies - What Happens to Them When They Grow Up?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...