A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bad poodle  (Read 10570 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

QueenOfIndiana
The Queen Returns to Indiana

Someone had to be Queen of this state....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2004 09:05:19 AM »

I must be visiting punk stores in my sleep, because except for a few visits to Hot Topic with my son, i have never ever seen those design elements (crossed eyes, tongue out, "bad" name) together.

What's funny (or not) is that before I dared to even post these to the world via my website and this site, I searched on all the terms i could think of to make sure somebody hadn't already done something like this and was selling it already. I wouldn't have shared it as MY OWN idea, if I would have known. I would've given credit and not sold it without permission.

The idea FOR ME for the x-ed eyes came from a font by fontalicious(fontalicious.com skipop kids I think) with cross eyed kids. The tongue was an afterthought because it needed something else. It reminded me of cartoon characters. Cartoons are on a lot around my house....but I cannot say which cartoon character, if any, this reminds me of!

Yes, I agree you get ideas from people who SHARE here. I expect that -- especially for those who are making this for themselves. You take bits and pieces from them and make them your own. Take a tongue, take an eye, take the name (or don't), but not all three!!!!

SHS made it TO SELL right after I posted it. She gave me credit in this thread, but on her website, she only gave credit to Jordy for the bag tutorial design. I probably would have been softer if she actually gave me credit for giving her the idea, but she didn't. Not only did she go selling it pretty darn quick after I posted my bags (could have waited a little bit), but she named it with the same naming scheme as my bags. "Naughty Poodle" at least would be trying for something different (still obvious..LOL). If she put it on a pillow or a scarf, it wouldl hurt less, too. But a bag, with those eyes,the tongue, the name  BEING SOLD without credit to me immediately after I posted mine...well, ugh! The SELLING is the biggest problem I have.

I'm 33 years old, with 3 kids -- one 13 and entering high school next year(gasp). I don't visit punk sites or go to punk concerts ( but, I am a DJ who plays cheesy music at weddings and K-5 sock hops).   I've never seen this "bad" face concept before. I try to be a hip mom and designer and the last think I wanted to put on these bags was a CUTE cat or bunny. I wanted something edgy.

But I accept Judi's apologiy. I guess I will just share with a disclaimer from now on! Smiley

I also apologize for stirring the crap in public.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004 09:09:16 AM by QueenOfIndiana » THIS ROCKS   Logged

@beanblossom on Twitter
diabla62
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2004 09:23:29 AM »

shs had posted the poodle bag here first.....i contacted her about it cause it was super cute and wanted it for my shop!
i check her site almost every day and it was just recently added.
shs is the sweetest gal and i dont believe that she would intentionally not give you "credit"
i think we all run the "risk" of having our ideas poached if we share them here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissRoo
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2004 09:33:27 AM »

i think we all run the "risk" of having our ideas poached if we share them here

Yup, and I guess don't understand the point of sharing ideas here if you don't want people to 'copy' them - unless you're advertising your own merchandise, which is perfectly fine if done in the right place.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2004 09:39:22 AM by MissRoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
diabla62
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2004 09:52:03 AM »

thats so funny,beeosh!
i have the dead kitty bag!!!!!
SMALL WORLD ain't it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

comfits
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2004 10:30:19 AM »

just thought i'd put in my two cents & say i agree completely w/ my fellow hunny bunnies--beeosh & missroo.  what you post here is up for grabs.  i post my own ideas here that i sell on my website.  i do this because as beeosh points out, there ain't nothing new in this world.  i'm all about being creative & sharing it w/ others--so play nice crafters!  this board is ALL about the crafts!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamabunnycat
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2004 10:56:59 AM »

thats so funny,beeosh!
i have the dead kitty bag!!!!!
SMALL WORLD ain't it!!

oh man ive been wanting the toaster bag so bad.  its adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2004 01:02:56 PM »

I think this is a great discussion.  Gives much insight.  But it is slightly worrisome.  I totally agree that this site is all about taking inspiration from each other.  And perhaps I'm interpreting some comments wrongly.  I could be off base, but I guess it's important to know that.  What I get from all this is that designs posted on this forum are considered up for grabs?  I think that methods, patterns, etc and even some graphic elements are probably up for grabs.   (There are, after all, only so many ways to make a purse, for instance, and plenty of people could reasonably arrive at the same method without copying each other.)  But would it be a different case if, rather than taking the idea to her own design, SHS had copied exactly the "Bad Kitty" design?  

I have taken in everything I've seen here.  Gotten ideas of my own, taken inspiration, learned new methods, etc., but I simply do not feel comfortable using the graphic designs of others on this forum, especially not for profit, and it would be important to me to know the particulars of what everyone else feels about this subject.  It may make a difference in what I feel comfortable posting in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2004 01:19:26 PM »

I have to agree it sucks when you find out your design isn't as original as you thought, or its being copied for resale. I love the "bad kitty" bags, but its not a new concept. Tongue lolling and all, I had a few "dead" kitty and bunny and doggie bags JUST like that in the 80's. I think its at least nice that there were credits for design inspiration and bag construction. I'm a big fan of the plushie dead purses too Smiley

All in all, if you are worried about your designs, you should copyright them legally. Its a pain in the butt, but if you feel that strongly about them, its worth doing the reseach to at least do that. Craftster is a place for inspiration and sharing great stuff. The bad bags are really cute and are a really great asset to this community. If it was posted "please do not copy", maybe that would help, but I doubt it. I get a lot of inspiriation here from the projects, and while I don't sell my inspired items, it doesn't mean I wouldn't if the offer came along.

Since I work at a company that has many copyrights that are copied every day, I know how it is. Its very frustrating, but there's not much you can do without legal help, and its not worth it 90% of the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004 01:19:54 PM »

shs's design might be inspired by the other bad bunny (or whatever) bag, but the two designs really don't share that much, design-wise.  They look totally different.  Real-world multi-million dollar designers frequently are "inspired by" other designs and other designers.  It's part of art to riff on an idea.

When I posted the Domokun hat & scarf here on Craftster, someone on Livejournal stole my pic the same day and immediately started advertising that they were selling these items.  (I just happened to see it because she posted it on a community I am subscribed to.)  This bothered me for a few reasons.

One:  Domokun is the design of a company in Japan (I made that hat & scarf as gifts for my husband, not for sale)

Two:  I made the hat & scarf, I took the picture, this person blatantly stole my picture.  MY picture was not representative of her product and there was no proof that she could reproduce the items exactly as they were shown in MY picture (I'm pretty sure her items would vary somewhat!)

Three:  If it had been an original design, I would have been devastated and angry, but it wasn't.  However, that event in my life has made me think twice about posting pictures here at Craftster, especially with all this growth the website has been experiencing.

If I ever post a pic here again (and I am fairly sure I will), I will be sure to incorporate a watermark of some sort that can't be cropped or edited easily out of my picture (I like how divasteph does her pics).

I guess that most of this post is kind of a tangent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissRoo
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2004 01:31:27 PM »

I agree this is a great discussion, Lothruin!

What I get from all this is that designs posted on this forum are considered up for grabs?  I think that methods, patterns, etc and even some graphic elements are probably up for grabs.  

I am not saying that everything on here is 'up for grabs.' My opinion is if you post something on the internet, in a DIY forum (especially a great one like this where you're including pictures and tutorials), people will imitate it. Heck, I consider that a good thing if people 'copy' my projects and I don't really care if they sell the finished products or not.

We've had a few discussions about copyrights and the rights of artists who's work has been imitated before. I agree with Xanthia and I think if you're in the business of making money from your projects, you go should through the legal procedures of copyrighting your designs.

Ack - sorry someone stole your pics, yardenxanthe!

Maybe we should move this discussion to one of the copyright threads? (so as not to detract from shs's lovely poodle bag)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004 01:33:19 PM by MissRoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brian DeLeeuw Talks About In This Way I Was Saved
Meet Author Brad Thor
Julie Morgenstern Talks About SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life
Full Dark, No Stars Book Trailer
Karen Katz Talks About Beddy-Bye, Baby
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...