A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's your dream wheel?  (Read 1540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 06, 2008 05:11:55 PM »

I've been spinning on an Ashford Elizabeth everyday for about 6 weeks, and I'm now considering buying my very own wheel.
There are a number of different wheels I've got my eye on.
I'm curious what everyone's dream wheel is, and why.

I know there are heaps of different variables (if you like to travel, beginner or pro, tension, posture, etc) so for you, personally, what's your favorite?
My fave seems to change every few days  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008 06:45:56 AM »

I've had my eye on a Kromski Sonata for a while. I love the fairy-tale look of Kromskis, and this one incorporates that lovely modern quality of portability. My parents have hinted that one may be a graduation present, so only a year and a half!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008 07:17:15 AM »

i bought a kromski sonata at the moment and its a good spinning wheel, but the wheel that i really like is the majacraft of the other types, mainly because its smaller and the portablility and how large the oriface is comapred to the kromski sonata is on my wheel, that way i can spin things with felted beads or stuff without needing to bypass onto the hole that is on the top part; but the kromski sonata is good enough for now i guess, it gets the job done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misfitknits
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008 06:02:13 PM »

my first wheel was an ashford traveller. i loved it and spun on it for a while, constantly lusting for other wheels!! then, i decided to take the plunge and buy a majacraft little gem II. WOW!!! what a difference, i never considered treadling my traveller to be difficult....  until i tried my little gem. what a difference! majacraft bobbins have a higher capacity and the two "flanges" at the end are equal in length, making the bobbins easier to fill to ABSOLUTE capacity!! it comes pre-finished so you don't have to worry about that, or worse, have to WAIT to spin on it until you can finish it and let it dry!! the orifice on the standard plastic bobbin will fit almost any type of yarn *find a pic on the net, it's a hard-to-explain triangle shape* and it's as easy to use as the wild flyer i bought to go with it!!

like most people, though, it's hard to make such a big decision for something so expensive and personal and if you're anything like me, you'll still lust after other types of wheels!!

and, i'm ashamed to say that i've only spun once or twice on my ashford traveller since i purchased my maja wheel. it feels terrible to admit that to other people!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008 08:04:55 PM »

i think you ment the delta orifice misfitknits, and i am extremly jealous, if i had the money or somehow gotten a majacraft, i would be amazed, my kromski sonata is ok now :p.."for now"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

askthebellwether
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008 10:31:19 AM »

Right now I'm totally enthralled with my Majacraft Suzie Alpaca wheel ... right down to the cute little alpaca logo. It does everything I need, and I'm loving it.  If I had room, I'd probably spring for a Reeves-Schacht or Lendrum Production wheel; the accelerator head on the Majacraft gives me speed, but takes a harder treadling than the full size production wheels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchies
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008 03:59:21 PM »

My dream wheel is the Majacraft Suzie. It will be forever until I can afford it, but I think it will be my final wheel, so it's worth saving and waiting for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008 10:36:24 PM »

Honestly, I have never spun on any wheel except my Elizabeth.  I love her to pieces.  Spinning with it is exactly how I imagined.  I do, however, really want something more portable.  Something like a Hitchhiker or something that folds.  It is going to be ages before I can afford another wheel. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
adriennec
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008 12:28:38 PM »

My dream wheel is the Majacraft Rose.  I own a Louet Victoria right now, but am planning to sell it to finance my dream Smiley  My Victoria is great, it's smooth and easy to use.  But the Rose, it was love at first spin.  I always suspected it was the wheel I wanted, but wasn't able to try it until recently.

But honestly?  Just try as many wheels as you can!  I was lucky enough to try a few different wheels before buying my Victoria, and it was very good that I did!  I had such strong negative reactions to MOST of the wheels (I hated everything but the Victoria!)  that I would have been out of luck if I'd just bought something without trying it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knkurz
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008 04:57:41 PM »

I like the looks of the Kromski Symphony.  Although the bobbin is small, I learned on a traditional-style wheel, and there is the option of switching from Scotch tensioning to double drive.  My Ashford Kiwi works just fine for now, so maybe one day in the distant future, I'll get another wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Classic Banana Split Recipe
How to Make Ice-Cream Out of a Tin Can!
The Chocolate Fanatic Shares Tips For Perfect Truffles
Pop Tart Ice Cream Sandwich Now Being Offered
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...