A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Belly Dance Tops!  (Read 3723 times)
Tags for this thread: belly_dancing , top , bellydance  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

duckiedarling
« on: December 06, 2008 01:24:56 PM »

I've been lurking on here for years, getting ideas for christmas gifts and more recently, belly dance costumes. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be many bellydancers on here. Bellydancing costumes are usually around $250 and up, so diy is often the only option. Here's my past few costumes.

This one was my second bra top for our big recital. It was a tribal-y, techno-y thing where we all got a different bright color. I ended up being orange, and though I tried to make it less halloween, it was still perfect for my roommate's first viewing of Rocky Horror. I used a black bra base and added the lace (very quickly), beading, and orange material.

Here it is again for another show. I just cinched a bell-sleeved shirt over it to suit my dance.

I used part of the infinity dress tute to make this one. I used a jersey knit to sew on the two panels, then added some beads at the bottom to jazz it up a bit, then tied it in as many ways as I could come up with. It doesn't look like much compared to my friend's professional cabaret bra, but mine was a zillion times cheaper and hers doesn't come with pride.

That's it for now. I couldn't find many good pictures (I'm not so great at taking them), but when I get some more I'll add the rest of my costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008 01:58:15 PM »

They look amazing. I love the black and orange combo, and it doesn't look halloweeny which is great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
klippyklip
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008 03:12:35 PM »

I love your tops!  Belly dancing is one of my side hobbies.  Although I don't have the guts to wear a top like that, I can definitely appreciate it on you.  You have such a cute little body too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jemmyfuzzle
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008 05:48:55 PM »

Hi! I belly dance too Smiley nice to see another on here Smiley

I really like your black/orange design, it's not halloweeny!!  I've been making a few of my own costumes which aren't quite done yet, but I'm planning on posting them soon.  I love your idea of altering the infinity dress Smiley It really suits you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life flies when you're on Prozac.  But enough about you, let's talk about me" Bette Midler.
StarryFerrari
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008 10:50:02 AM »

They look great!! I'm only starting to learn belly dancing but I am going to sew my own costumes too, even on ebay they are mega expensive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
duckiedarling
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008 12:37:31 PM »

I'm glad there are so many bellydancers! I was uncomfortable showing off so much skin at first (especially my belly), but after more practices and a group performance I was more confident. I love my body a lot more since I've started dancing, even when I gain that extra bit in the winter.

I'd love to see the costumes you come up with StarryFerrari! Don't forget to post them!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008 12:38:16 PM by duckiedarling » THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008 03:19:10 PM »

yay for belly dancing ! .. I wanna learn how .. your costumes look great .. and I like your top better than your friends
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiewiet
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008 02:38:27 AM »

Nice tops! I love the orange peeking outof the black -definitely eyecatching! The last one is my favourite - I use that style all the time from an old 1970s pattern haltertop. I will now go ald look at the infinity to play around with as it looks so nice.
Been Bellydancing about 12 years now -still love it even though Ive had to take time out because of broken ribs Angry
Those coin bras are cute too but can wreck your other fabrics. I prefer using a base and covering it then sewing on coins or beads - much more secure and they don't hook in veils(try unhooking a veil from your bra while spinning! Shocked)
Anyway, using a base and then embellishing it also allows you to....ahem....pad it out a bit if you are like me- two fried eggs on an ironing board Wink
I hope you keep on showing what you are doing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilchicklet
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008 01:37:47 PM »

Yeah, most dance costumes are just too overpriced!!  You've done a nice job here, converting an old bra is a great way to make a top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lil Dead Girl
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008 01:53:42 PM »

Hello!!
YEAH!! other belly dancers!!
The tops look great!! 
As I do love craftsters... but I have joined Tribe.net  as there are soooo many belly dancers on there (its worth taking a look!!)!!
(and belly dance forums just for the DIY belly dancers!!)
BUT I STILL LOVE YOU CRAFTSTER!!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Benson from Regular Show
The Link Between Video Games and Classic Art
How to Create a Player-World Dynamics in Video Games
The Art of Glitch
How to Draw Brian Griffin
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...