A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL ADDED: Clever Japanese Pattern=Sweet Little Purses  (Read 145837 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

muchachaK
« on: March 09, 2005 10:00:26 PM »

Okay, here's the tutorial at last, I apologize ahead of time for the fact that my photos are a little fuzzy.  This is for the bag I posted previously that was based on a Japanese bag my coworker showed me.  It is basically a lined zipper pouch with a lapped zipper pocket added on one side, and a "handwarmer" pocket on the other side...here are the pieces you start with:

The pieces are grouped together...the top right hand side is the main zipper and bag lining, the lower right side is the handwarmer pocket pieces, and the left side ones are for the lapped zipper pocket(that's just the zipper laying across it!).  Start with the bag lining and main zipper...

The first step is to attach the right side of the fabric to the wrong side of the zipper:

This is how it should look...zipper wrong side up and fabric right side showing.

Then you begin piecing together the pockets.  Handwarmer pocket first.  Take the outside and inside of the outer part of the pocket...face the wrong sides together so the "good" side of the fab. shows out on both sides.  Topstitch along the diagonal edge to attach them to each other.  Then attach this piece to the pocket lining by stitching along the top, within the seam allowance:

Next, work on the lapped zipper pocket.  Cut room for the zipper in the outside piece and the backing for the outside piece--and iron the seams back:

Attach the zipper...you can do this with or without lapping the zipper, just make sure to leave enough fabric for lapping if you go that route....  The outside of the pocket will attach to the front of the zipper and the backing will attach to the back of the zipper.  Sew that zipper on.  

Place this piece on top of the pocket back and sew across the top as with the previous pocket, within the seam allowance, to hold them together.

You now have three pieces:

Iron seams across the tops of the pocket pieces.  Pin the tops of the pocket pieces onto the zipper:

Then fold the pocket pieces back on each other, so that they lay inside out on one side of the zipper, and the lining of the bag lays on the other side:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/14890Sew_around_the_outside.jpg

Sew around the outside of the pocket pieces.  Sew down the sides of the lining also...but DO NOT SEW THE BOTTOM OF THE LINING YET!!!  

Turn it all right side out.  You should have something resembling a purse at this point, with pins going around the top.  Stick the handle in under the pins (I had this handle left from another project, sorry no construction photo!):

Sew around the top!  Ironing or hammering the seam all the way around may help if your machine doesn't want to sew through all those layers (take it from someone who broke a machine by not doing that...) .

Then you gotta pull the lining out and close it.  I like to iron the seams under and just sew along the bottom, as close as I can get it to the edge:

Finished product:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013 03:25:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
kpeters1

Crafty? Maybe. I guess I like to make my own stuff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005 10:29:18 PM »

Hey. Those are awesome. Smiley I don't want to burden you by asking for a tutorial.... but could you give some idea on  how you made the pattern? Also, was it very difficult?

Kathleen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Name me a handful that's ridiculous, Dannie Richmond.
Faubus, Rockefeller, Eisenhower
Why are they so sick and ridiculous?"
jessaska
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005 10:35:00 PM »

okay yeah that is a sweet bag. Its cute and functional and seems pretty versatile.

Any chance of us getting a hint at the pattern or even a vague tutorial? I would love it if you did,

i really like the silk one. and strangely enough I have some material similar that I have been saving for the perfert project....could this be it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muchachaK
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005 11:12:35 PM »

Actually it'll be good for me to write this down so I can remember what I did...let's seeeee...

For starters, it was important to remember with this bag to make sure the sides you want people to actually see are the ones that are facing out...I also left about a 5/8 inch seam allowance on all sides of all the pieces I cut out...that said:

*You need two zippers the same length.

1) I cut out 4 same sized rectangles for the inner lining and the "outside" of the bag (which is actually the lining for the two pockets.  The width of these should be the same as the length of the zippers.  Set these aside.

2) Handwarmer Pocket:
Then I cut out two rectangles, exactly the same size as the first four, for the handwarmer pocket.  Then I cut the corner out of them.  I finished off the edges of the corner-cutout (cut wedges into the curves so it would fold in correctly, pressed the edges with an iron, in, toward each other, topstitched the corner on the outside)  IMPORTANT:  are you left or right handed?  Think about which side of the bag you want the handwarmer on BEFORE YOU CUT THE CORNER!!! Hahaha...I accidentally made one of my bags "lefty"...THEN, lightly stitch the top of this piece together, within the seam allowance, just to hold them in place for later...

3) Lapped Zipper Pocket:
Two rectangles are cut for this, the same width as the previous rectangles, but one to one and a half inch taller, so you have enough to lap the zipper.  Cut these two pieces in half where you'd like the zipper to go.  Iron all the seam allowances, and then pin the zipper in...sew it in...this is better is photos...I'll post one next week Wink  Again, sew lightly across top, within the seeam allowance, to hold the top together.

4) I then attached the lining of the bag to the zipper for the top...take care to note that you sew the lining to the bottom of the zipper...

5)  Attach/sew the "outsides" of the bag (among the first four rectangles you cut--the ones that will actually end up being pocket linings) within the seam allowance, to the backs of the two pocket pieces you set aside. 

6)  Cut two pieces out for the strap, press your seam allowances in, attach them to each other, and topstich on each side.

7)  Pin the two big chunks you've assembled, AND THE STRAP, to the zipper, but don't sew it yet.  Get the two chunks inside out, and sew around them around the edges, back to back.  DO the same with the lining, but DON'T SEW THE BOTTOM of the lining shut...that's the last step.

Cool Turn it all right side out, pin the straps in with the zipper and topstich around the outside to install the zipper and straps.

9)  then you can pull the lining back out of the top and sew it shut at the bottom...

10)  So you start with 6 rectangles all the same size, and two slightly taller ones.  Two zippers.  The rest is a matter of figuring out what you want to show on what sides, and which side you want the handwarmer on...!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
Bee_U_Tiffle
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005 12:12:02 AM »

Nice, I like the colours you used, the stripy one is neat.  I do like the pocket shape, might have to try one of these Smiley
Bee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schi118
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005 01:34:54 AM »

the silk one is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005 04:50:38 AM »

Great job, the silk is oh so yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennybean
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005 08:41:02 AM »

no joke, that is a really clever design. yours look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skirt
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005 09:16:34 AM »

oh, those are so cute! i love the lapped zipper on the backs
good job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroplane blonde

handmade clothing & accessories!
cimba
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005 03:15:20 PM »

Lovely design, and your realizations seem really well made Smiley
I don't know if I saw it somewhere or it's in my imagination (heheh you know, those ideas that you have sometimes and then forgot about it till something reminds you about), but one can make a bag similar to these using the half waist of a pair of jeans or any pair of pants with pockets...yes, I'm lazy like that to have the handwarmer pocket ready yet!   Wink Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ciao! Cimba // Homemade happy goodies, made in Italy with a smile!
http://www.ciaocimba.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seduction Sculpture by Suprina
The Pregnancy Series by Suprina
Control Freak Sculpture by Suprina
Artist Profile: Suprina
Angry Guru Sculpture by Suprina
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...