A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please...Help me find Book with specifics stitch counts ????  (Read 390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dona Leonor
« on: December 05, 2008 12:50:52 PM »

Hi y'all !  Wink

I'm trying to improve my crocheting skills and I'm currently looking
for a book that will give me specific stitch counts...
What I'm referring to is like when you are going to make some kind of decorative pattern or edging the book will tell you how many stitches you need in order for the stitch pattern to look nice, even and complete... Do I make sense ? I don't know how to explaining .
I crochet a baby hat and did a shell edging all around but the last shell didn't fit well because I didn't have the right number of stitches so I just wing it , but it didn't really look well.
Any help will be greatly appreciated !!!!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008 04:51:17 PM »

What you need is a crochet stitch dictionary - they have multiple stitches and their counts.  Try googling that term or checking e-bay, I know there are lots available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joonsang
Reira_Valentine

Let's Make Biscuts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008 01:35:26 AM »

There was a book I saw, it had different crochet patterns and stuff.

Kinda like cards in a box, now that I think about it. Or that dictionary or even the crochet answer book may help...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only those who Dream, are worthy of creating ideas.
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008 04:29:59 AM »

Thumb through them before you buy them - some are better than others.  I have several of them and I am always looking for more - here is one that has 500 stitches in it..
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Crochet-Stitch-Designs/dp/1579909159/ref=pd_sim_b_5
I don't have that one yet but I am going to Wink
I don't care for Donna Kohler's stitch dictionary.  It is all fluff and not so much stitches.  That is one I have rarely used.  It is nice that it has charts in it though - since some of the stitches are written out poorly or wrong.
If you can get one that has written out directions and charts as well that's a bonus!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008 03:24:10 AM »

All of them will give you multiples for stitch counts.  Every one that I have does.
The next on my list is the Complete Book of Crochet Stitches - but I am going to have one of the local bookstores order it so I can thumb through it first... it has mixed reviews on Amazon.  Some say it is fantastic.. others say it is visually boring.. well.  It's a stitch dictionary for godsakes!  It isn't going to be a book filled with fun and exciting patterns... it is a dictionary.... so I want to see that one.
The ones I have are mostly out of print older ones.  I have a few that I love like Blackwell's.  I do like that one a lot - in fact I have two copies of it for some reason.  I must have picked one copy up at the library bookstore...
http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Crochet-Patterns-Blackwell/dp/0684163209/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228821343&sr=1-3

Later on today - after the kids all wake up and I can actually make some noise - I will see if I can link you to some of the ones I like and use a lot.  It's funny but some I like more than others so I'll only list the ones I like.  One of the books I have shows everything crocheted with thread instead of yarn and the stitches are all so loose and loopy that nothing in that book wants me to crochet.  It might be the same stitches from other books (every book will have like 80% repeats from other books sadly - they don't put so many original ones in there) but it just is unappealing all around.
One of the books I have is falling apart.  I really need to look in to getting a new copy of that one. The binding is just shot and the pages are falling out but I do like that book a lot.  It is well written and the pictures are accurate.... One of the books I have I have done stitches out of and the results look nothing like some of the pictures.. go figure!

But yeah, they all will list the multiples that are needed to do repeats.... that's what they are suppose to do.  If you find one that does not then it isn't worth it at all.
There is also a book on ripple stitch designs which looks pretty cool but I don't do ripples enough to invest in it.  I tend to just create my own ripples.

My library has this one - and I love it.  I keep saying I am going to buy it but I just borrow it when I need to.
http://www.amazon.com/Vogue-Dictionary-Crochet-Stitches-Matthews/dp/071539357X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228821709&sr=8-1

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get Fuller Looking Lips
The Perfect 60s Cat-Eye in 30 Seconds
Makeup & Go: Weekend Getaway
Learn to Create the Perfect Retro Cat-Eye from Glamour’s 1965 Cover
Kim Kardashian Gorgeous in Five Steps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...