A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: laptop sleeve. any ideas?  (Read 2705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dymphie
« on: February 16, 2004 02:52:49 PM »

i am considering making a laptop sleeve. any ideas about what i should make it out of? i am stumped as to what to use for the padding. batting doesn't seem like enough. any ideas or better yet have you done this already?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004 05:36:06 PM »

Are you going to be carrying the laptop in another case, or is this the only case it's going to be in? That makes a difference in terms of padding. If it's the only case for it, I say get some foam padding, preferably the stiffer kind (it looks almost like styrofoam, but is still flexible) in order to protect it. You could cover it both inside and out, and then sew it together to make a sleeve. I know someone who knit a cool iBook sleeve w/handles - it was felted, and so cute, but it was going to be traveling in another case, so padding was not an issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
dymphie
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004 06:27:20 PM »

thanks for the suggestion...i was thinking the sleeve would go in other bags. i'd be interested info about the knit sleeve if you've got it- sounds really cool - thank again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004 08:58:28 PM »

I'll see if I can get a picture of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
scandibird
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004 01:39:46 AM »

Here's a crochet one I stumbled across the other day.
http://www.monochrom.at/crochetication/ordereng.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aryn
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004 02:28:19 PM »

Martha Stewart had one in her magazine once that was made out of neoprene. You know, like, wetsuit material.

You don't really sew it though. It was one piece, with flaps on all four sides, that folded around and were secured by velcro. I don't think you had to finish the edges. You might be able to find a pattern on her website.

Am I allowed to mention Martha Stewart on Craftster?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 02:49:44 PM »

I made one out of fun foam once.  And then wrapped it in black satin and closed it with ribbon ties.  I'm not sure how protective it was, but it sure was cute!  Of course it's long gone now, so I can't even show you a picture Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvercrank
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004 10:19:21 AM »

two words:
faux fur!!!

(big hairy purple or lime green.) measure the two sides and make it almose like a pillowcase for each part (the screen, the keyboard/hard drive) but give yourself enough extra fabric so that you can  sew elastic into the hem and also have enough to slip it onto it/open and close the laptop without opening it 270 degrees!!

i'd say structure the fabric the way you'd make a book cover (but don't use paper bags, hahaha!!!!)
use super strechy elastic all along the edges to hem and them add a handle somehow...thats the tricky pat, cuz you dont want the fabric to rip under the weight of the 'puter...

happy hunting!
silvercrank
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seapj
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004 08:56:39 PM »

I made one out of 2 really cute placemats (they were the perfect size for my laptop, and were already "lined").  Sewed them together with a rectangular piece that served as sides and bottom.  For the padding, I figured only the bottom needed to be padded.  Just like you might put a piece of plastic in a regular tote bag for support, I put in a thick piece of foam rubber - kind of like the neoprene foam stuff that people use as keyboard wrist supports for desktop computers.  I didn't sew it into the bag, just used velcro to affix it.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joey
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004 06:44:43 AM »

Martha Stewart had one in her magazine once that was made out of neoprene. You know, like, wetsuit material.

You don't really sew it though. It was one piece, with flaps on all four sides, that folded around and were secured by velcro. I don't think you had to finish the edges. You might be able to find a pattern on her website.

Am I allowed to mention Martha Stewart on Craftster?

I think neoprene would work really well, very padded, plus, I've seen neoprene laptop cases for sale before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Carpet Beauty Secrets Revealed
The Bubble Fantasy Nail You Can Do at Home
Tips For Fall Nails, Makeup and Fashion
Christie Brinkley Shares Her Beauty Secret
How to Pull Off This Fall’s Makeup Trends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...