A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: acrylics on unstretched canvas- curling corners?  (Read 889 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2008 01:28:32 PM »

Hi all,
I am looking for adive about how to keep unstretched canvas from curling at the edges. I have done a couple of paintings on unstretched canvas- a name sign for my son, another for a friend's daughter, and an abstract for my home. I enjoy working with unstretched canvas and would like to do a few things for christmas gifts, but I am reluctant to do so when the corners and edges curl.

When I did my paintings I didn't have any gesso, but I used a good quality acrylic primer and a roller. I know that house paint (even the really good stuff) has a higher water content than gesso, so I am wondering if this may perhaps be the culprit... I have also wondered if my canvas is a little thicker than it shouldbe for this.

Anyway, any suggestions or comments would be welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
spareGus
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008 04:06:46 PM »

you could always cut your canvas larger than what you want, and then 'stretch' it by taping it down to a board to paint.  When you're done and it is completely dry, you can cut off the excess.  That has always helped curling for me.  Or you could also try pre-primed canvas but I don't know how much that would curl cause I've never used it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookie7704

note the trees because the dirt is temporary

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 08:26:53 PM »

I have never worked with unstretched canvas before but I would probably do what I do with watercolor paper. Get a board bigger then the canvas and tape all around the edges. The blue painters tape works really well. Since it isn't paper you won't have to worry about the paper ripping or the layers separating, so you could probably get away with any type of masking tape. Let the paint dry completely before you take the tape off. You may even want to stretch the canvas a little bit and tape it to the back of the board. That way you would have the unpainted edges around your work if that is what you are going for. Hope that helps and that I am in time for your project for the holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Rhubarb-Raspberry Crumble
How to Make Lemon Curd Shortbread
Classic Cherry Lime Vanilla Glacier Recipe
Low-Cal Cheesy Cherry Danish Recipe
How to Make No Bake Oatmeal and Raw Honey Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...