A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with dresser/besdside table painting.  (Read 2198 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyRiot
« on: November 24, 2008 08:56:02 PM »

I have no idea what to do with these! I had them at my last apartment and never got around to doing anything to them but now that I'm moved into a new place that doesn't have carpet everywhere [meaning I can paint inside] I want them to look like they belong. That and I haaaate blonde wood, it's tacky and looks horrible with white walls. The main issue I'm having with ideas is what to do with the face of the drawers and surfaces [the sides, space around drawers, and handles will be black]. And what kind of paint would you suggest? Because I live in Canada and it's late November, it's snowing so I can't do it outside meaning fumey paints are a baaaad idea. Any ideas? I'm leaning towards more of a "punk" style, I guess kinda thing.

Sorry the pictures suck. I can't find my camera battery or charger so I had to use my webcam. And yeah, my room is a disaster though you can't see much of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008 09:11:34 PM »

Oh I hate blonde wood too! This is just one idea and it depends on if you like a collage-y look or not but what about decoupage?
You could find some cook punk-y looking scrapbook paper, wrapping paper etc... and use Mod Podge to cover it.
That's just one idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
southern flower
Better the Devil that you know...

I'm not arrogant, I'm just right

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008 09:54:08 PM »

Oh I hate blonde wood too! This is just one idea and it depends on if you like a collage-y look or not but what about decoupage?
You could find some cook punk-y looking scrapbook paper, wrapping paper etc... and use Mod Podge to cover it.
That's just one idea Smiley

I agree!  I've seen some really cool furniture decopaged.  Or there is an "indoor" spraypaint - it's called Aqua something and it's water based so it low fume.  But I did it indoors and went kind of all over in the air - so definetly lay a LARGE tarp down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CayceeMae
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008 09:57:09 PM »

Mod podge with handbills (you know the posters that bands tape up on telephone poles)If you add enough layers, it will look just like a telephone pole, esp. if they're already a little worn looking. (But don't wrap over the edges of the drawers or they'll get stuck!

Oh and just saw someones else's dresser thats worth checking out
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=268789.0
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008 10:28:39 PM by CayceeMae » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ulcdmj
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008 10:54:28 PM »

I 2nd that CayceeMae! (The link added for the Sid and Nancy dresser) All the drawers are flush with each other and would be perfect for that type of project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008 11:11:23 PM »

I like the previous ideas. I wouldn't use spray paint inside.
To get good adhesion of paint or decoupage, light rough sanding is a good idea. If the odor bothers you open a window and put a fan in it or at least use an exhaust fan in the kitchen to help draw the fumes out. Ask the folks at the paint/hardware store for recommendations.
Hope you post the finished project here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008 07:50:35 AM »

I think decoupage would be super cool, but if you want to paint, just make sure you follow these steps if you want it to last:

1. Prepare the surface by removing any grease or wax and then by lightly sanding to give it some tooth - use a fine grit like 220.  Then make sure you get all the dust off.

2. Use a good quality, high-adhesion primer - you can find them in water-based versions that are non-toxic and  aren't as stinky, but it will smell a little.

3. Then a couple of thin coats of acrylic (not latex) house paint with about 8 hours between coats and another couple days before you reassemble the dresser and you should be fine.  Most acrylic paints have a final cure time of 30 days, so it while it will feel dry the chemical process of drying won't necessarily be complete until then.  If you can stand it, wait until after that to set stuff on the top and when you do make heavier things have those felt pads on the bottom. 

This sounds like overkill, I'm sure, but it's what I recommend when I repaint kitchen cabinets for clients and it hasn't failed.  When I see home make-over shows on TV I always wonder just how long before the homeowner realized that their lamp is stuck to their end table and pulling off a ring of paint when they get it loose, etc.

Oh! And if you can avoid painting surfaces that will rub against each other (the sides of the drawers, the back of the drawer face, etc. you'll have better luck.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008 08:01:19 AM by TheMistressT - Reason: typos, likely not all of them and more info. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 11
LadyRiot
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008 09:15:57 AM »

Thanks for the ideas guys!

TheMistressT - Sounds like a good idea, but I'm on a super beyond low budget and I have a dog who likes to chew so everything has to be kept off the floor, and a cat who pretty much owns the place so dry time is incredibly limited.

CayceeMae - I'd so go for the handbills thing, but I only have about 5 flyers that are printed out and don't own a printer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CayceeMae
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008 09:45:55 PM »

Try asking at the local bars if you're old enough - the ones here usually have them up and might have more there. or just steal err take down off of telephones poles or whereever they get stuck on. and bring something to cut tape with...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charm-city-coop
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008 08:08:38 PM »

The dresser has potential... Have you checked out this post?  Hot pink molding over black would be really cute and punk-esque.  The decoupage sounds really neat too... or you could try stamps or stencils... those would just require acrylics, which aren't bad at all on fumes.  Stencils in particular require the initial pain-in-the-butt of cutting them out, but they're super thrifty and you can make just about any image or pattern you want.  Good luck, I can't wait to see the finished work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Prawn Wantan Noodle Soup
90 Second Thai Basil Chicken Wrap Recipe
How to Make Cashew Shrimp
How to Make Orange Chicken
Easy Beef and Black Bean Ho Fun Noodle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...