A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
805 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Three more bird-based coats (insane number of pics)  (Read 6099 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KitschyCoo
« on: December 04, 2008 08:33:00 AM »

I appear to have a slight obsession with bird print fabric these days!  After the black double breasted coat with birds a couple of weeks ago, I've made three more bird-theme coats.   All of them are all reversible, and I had a really hard time with them because of the thickness and weight of the fabrics.  And I had to pretty much do the button holes manually / by hand.

The first one is double breasted and made of orange heavy weight cotton with black birds and branches on the front, with orange and cream dots on the reverse.  There is also a layer in between of what I was told was goretex fleece when I bought it... someone posted on my blog 'FYI there is no such thing as goretex fleece' and then disappeared again so I'm not sure what to believe.  Tongue  Does anyone know?  I bought it on ebay and seller is well-established and clearly stated several times that it's made by Goretex...

Anyway, my machine could totally not cope with putting the three layers together, so the sleeves were given double fold cuffs and then hand stitched.  Buttons on front are black and white polkadot, buttons on back plain orange.  I wanted to do something else but gave up...  I tried it on ds and I thought it looked really nice but husband does not agree...  'Garish' was mentioned.  Do you think this style is suitable for a boy?

Second one is single breasted and has seagull-type silhouettes in black with bluey accents on a white background, some of the beaks are red.  The reverse is blue and white polkadots, and there is also a 'goretex fleece' layer in the middle.  Again, machine could not cope so sleeve edges and back hem are slip-stitched.  Although machine grudgingly let me topstitch the orange coat, it would not let me topstitch this one.   Angry  I do actually like the 'cleaner' lines without topstitching though, what do other people think?  Both sides have red polka dot buttons.   

Last one is the same green velveteen as I used for the elf coat, also double breasted, but with four buttons instead of six, no inner fleece layer and with a hood.  I modified the elf hood to more of a pixie hood  Grin, slightly more fitted so it's not as dangerous!  The reverse is Aviary fabric.  Both sides have pink and white polkadot buttons.  I was struggling with the layers shifting all about so I had to unpick and redo some bits... figured out that my machine didn't like when the velveteen was down on the feed.  So it took a lot longer than it should have!  The pics came out badly, the the colours are a lot more muted than in real life.  Sad

Feedback always appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008 08:34:09 AM by KitschyCoo - Reason: warning about number of pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008 08:39:30 AM »

Those are all beautiful! Cheesy  The fabric choices are awesome!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008 08:41:29 AM »

someone posted on my blog 'FYI there is no such thing as goretex fleece' and then disappeared again so I'm not sure what to believe.  Tongue 

Is too such a thing as goretex fleece'! My sister worked at the Gore plant in Delaware, and bought miles of it home to her loving family.

Cute coats Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
KitschyCoo
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008 08:43:53 AM »

Thanks so much for clearing that up, confirms to me that the lady was just being mean!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doyouloveanapple
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008 08:47:29 AM »

Man, I wish I was your child! I love the coats. So beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.et sy.com
thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008 09:00:36 AM »

Oh I love anything reversible!  Grin  Those are beautiful - and I love the hood too!  I never would have known you were wrestling with your machine through all this!
  As for whether or not this style is suitable for a boy....I think that call is strictly up to the parent.  I think they definitely have a feminine quality to them - but that's just me.  I remember when my cousins were little boys, they wore coats in a similar style a la Christopher Robin. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
Giraffecat
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 09:02:02 AM »

I LOVE these coats!  I think you may have said before, but is this Vegbee's Fairweater pattern?  My favorite is the blue and white dots.  Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008 09:09:57 AM »

I LOVE these coats!  I think you may have said before, but is this Vegbee's Fairweater pattern?  My favorite is the blue and white dots.  Awesome!

Nope, this one is my own pattern!  I have posted a coat made with vegbee's pattern though !  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VeggieJess
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008 09:12:18 AM »

very nice!  I love all your fabrics!  Do you mind disclosing where you get the lovely bird fabs, I can never find any!  (I especially like the orange!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change!

My Lov.li
http://lov.li/users/4607
Rae-mazing

But it's better if you do.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008 09:30:53 AM »

I wish those were in my size!!! They're wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I always need fabric, findings/notions, and cute handmade things!

www.wastedwishes.et sy.com

www.wastedwishes.bl ogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Last Minute Cat Makeup for Halloween
Best New Beauty Products for November
November 2013 NewBeauty TestTube Is Shipping Soon
The Monday Makeover - The Perfect Pink Lip
The Monday Makeover - Perfect Lashes
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...