A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stacked coins - my first quilt!  (Read 1681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kahlan
« on: December 04, 2008 12:30:55 AM »

My friend and I were in a wedding in September. We got this brilliant idea to make the bride and groom a quilt! We based it off the Stacked Coins pattern in Joelle Holverson's Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts but modified it to be a queen-size quilt. We chose fabrics to match their wedding colors (and the bedding on their gift registry!).

It looks a bit wonky in the photo, but there was no large enough place to hang it up! If it's any consolation, I'm the shorter one on the left, and I'm 5'10" for perspective.

We wanted to make sure it would fit on their bed, so we took it for a test run:

Most of it was machine quilted, but we hand-quilted around the brown "coins" - no photo of the back =( My friend's beagle loves hand-quilting time, though! You can see a peek of the unbleached muslin backing and a better view of the fabric choices.

In retrospect, we might have chosen a less-fluffy batting, but it's good to know it will keep them warm on chilly Colorado nights. Here are the newlyweds (this was taken the day after their wedding) appreciating their new quilt!

I'm excited to make one for myself next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://littlebluehen.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notahipster/

Better to fail at something you love than succeed at something you hate. - George Burns
pipkin2020
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008 01:16:21 AM »

Your first quilt?  Did you say, your *first* quilt?  Wow, that's so amazing, it looks like you've been quilting for years and years. 

What an awesome quilt - I adore the colours.  And what an awesome present Smiley That kind of thing becomes an heirloom.  You should feel obscenely proud of yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
Padester
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008 03:50:27 AM »

Wow - that's great!  I've thought about making one like that . . . after I'm done with my stack of already-planned projects I might have a go at this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachingjonah
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008 06:23:15 AM »

That is really beautiful.  I love the colors you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008 08:11:17 AM »

It's very lovely.  That's a great wedding gift to receive.

Do you recall what size the rectangle coins are?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
quirkyparsnip
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008 08:24:48 AM »

Muahahaa Mrs. Cookie! Its a nice quilt. I would suggest doing more quilting on the border next time though, you don't want to leave such large spaces unquilted or the batting will shift a lot. The colors are really nice, I love the stacked coin pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kahlan
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 10:09:18 AM »

Do you recall what size the rectangle coins are?

I believe they are 5 inches across, finished (so 5.5 with 1/4 inch seam allowance). The widths vary from 1-5 inches. =)

Muahahaa Mrs. Cookie! Its a nice quilt. I would suggest doing more quilting on the border next time though, you don't want to leave such large spaces unquilted or the batting will shift a lot. The colors are really nice, I love the stacked coin pattern.

Oh dear, worlds collide. She met "Mr. Cookie" at my wedding, so I had her first  Wink I also made her blue wedding wraps for all the bridesmaids!
The book recommended a diamond pattern, but we didn't love it. My friend who made it with me has used the same batting with some un-quilted areas and hasn't had any problems, so we aren't too worried. We also finished it the day before we left for Denver (shh!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://littlebluehen.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notahipster/

Better to fail at something you love than succeed at something you hate. - George Burns
quirkyparsnip
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008 01:27:19 PM »

Yeah I've never not quilted the whole thing, but thats what my mom always tells me when I'm tired of quilting and just want to leave the thick borders be.

Oh the wraps were gorgeous. The whole wedding was. Hah the day before you left is way better than the day after you got back. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SillySlippers
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008 09:16:17 PM »

i think you did a good job. I had the thought about the large unquilted areas too, if it becomes a problem they can add some new stitching of their own design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
Wendellina

CMF since '75 \../ >.< \../

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008 06:19:43 AM »

I think that is gorgeous!  I have seen a pattern like this before and I think it is modernly-delicious.  GREAT job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Oil Painting of a Tree
How to Mix Colours to Form Green Paint
How to Pick Calligrphy Tools
How to Apply Calligraphy Tools
How to Draw a Manga Character
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...