A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: faux-hawk **Now with Tutorial**  (Read 32199 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

neosynthesis
« on: December 03, 2008 11:59:21 PM »

My co-worker's son goes to a school that has strict rules about attire and hair... so I made him this hat that I am giving to him for Christmas... because he's a little punk  Wink

I got the idea from the pictures of the mohawk hat at http://www.knit-head.com/ it's chrocheted because I can't knit anything other than potholders and scarfs (or anything else rectangular).  This is a very basic hat because I'm not very good at crocheting; I started not too long ago.  Basically I only know 2 stitches, single crochet and slip stitch.  This is my 6th crochet project and the first time I've ever felted anything... so if anyone has any suggestions on how I could improve this project if I were to make it again, they would be much appreciated.  Thanks for looking!

How to make the earflap hat:
DISCLAIMER: I didn't use a pattern, but I will try to explain what I did.  Again, I've not been crocheting for very long (only about 6 months) and I learned on my own, so I hope this makes sense.  If not, please ask me questions and I will try to explain and update the instructions below.

I don't know if this matters or not, but I used an I size crochet hook.  The hat was made out of acrylic yarn so it wouldn't shrink when the mohawk was felted.

1. I started out with a magic circle with 6 sc.
2. 2sc in each stitch (total = 12 sc)
3. 1 sc in first stitch, 2 sc in the next, repeat (18 sc)
4. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in the next 2 stitches, repeat (24 sc)
5. 1 sc in first 3 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (30 sc)
6. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in the next 4 stitches (36 sc)
7. 1 sc in first 5 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (42 sc)
8. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in the next 6 stitches (48 sc)  -- if making for a child, skip to step 15
9. 1 sc in the first 7 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (54 sc)
10. 2 sc in the first stitch, 1 sc in the next 8 stitches, repeat (60 sc)
11. 1 sc in the first 9 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (66 sc) -- if making for a woman, skip to step 15
12. 2 sc in the first stitch, 1 sc in the next 10 stitches, repeat (72 sc)
13. 1 sc in the first 11 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (78 sc)
14. 2 sc in the first stitch, 1 sc in the next 12 stitches, repeat (84 sc) -- Men's size
15. 1 sc in every stitch, repeat until hat is long enough to go down to the person's eyebrows.

After the hat is long enough to cover their head, it's time to make the ear flaps. 
The easy way to do it is to cut the yarn here with a tail to weave in later then start at one earflap 1/6 of the total stitches from the center of the hat (you can kind of see the hat broken into 6ths from the top of the hat, if not then totalNumberOfStitch es/6 = x, find the front-center, count x stitches out and start from there.
What I did (because I for some reason don't like tails) I left the last stitch that I made hanging, left enough slack of yarn to go to where I was starting the earflap and started crocheting, when I got back to the loop I left hanging, I sc in that stitch and continued on.

To make the earflaps I no longer crochet around, but back and forth obviously.  To make the earflaps I SC in every stitch for 4/6ths of the hat in the first 2 rows.
In the next row, I decreased one stitch on each end by picking up 2 stitches and sc them together (I hope this makes sense because I don't really know proper terms as I kinda learned how to crochet on my own). -- do this in every other row.
In the next row, SC in every stitch.
repeat until the hat is long enough to cover the back of the person's head or however long you want it to go.

I finished it off making the cord off one of the ear flaps by chaining 50 stitches, then go back and sc in every stitch until you get back to the earflap, sc 1 into the ear flap then sc back to the end of the cord and back to the ear flap again,then joined the edges of the cord together with chain stitches.  Repeat to make the cord for the other earflap.

How to make the mohawk:

The mohawk is made up of several 4" strips of wool yarn that is felted after it is attached to the hat.  The easiest way to do this is to cut a piece of cardboard up so that it's 2" wide, wrap the yarn around the cardboard, then tape across the wrapped yarn, then cut across.  These strips are then attached kinda like ruffles/tassles at the edge of a rug.  Fold the yarn in half, pull the loop through a stitch in the hat, then pull the ends through that loop, I hope this makes sense.  After you make your mohawk, the hat is then felted.

How to felt your project:
Before this project I had no idea how to felt anything.  In case you don't know either, you put your project in a pillowcase and tie the end (this is important because if you don't you could damage your washing machine).  You then place the pillowcase with your project into the washer and wash your project in hot water.  The hot water and the agitator will felt your project.  Note that acrylic or synthetic yarn will not felt.  I washed my hat for 5 minutes.  Do not let your washer go into the spin cycle while your project is in it.  After you remove your hat from the washer, rinse it in the sink if you used detergent to wash it.  Then gently squeeze out excess water, then roll your project in a towel then lay out to dry.  For this hat I let it dry on the styrofoam head, but I have heard that bowls will work well for drying hats if you don't have a styrofoam head.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008 04:50:11 PM by neosynthesis » THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008 12:15:22 AM »

I have a mo-hawk and I would wear this!  This is awesome!  You should be really proud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008 01:13:32 AM »

great work!! I love how it looks like zebra print...my fave!
If I ever actually learn a pattern, this will be the first thing I learn lol...I only know how to knit scarves and crochet a couple things as well. I still can't believe you crocheted this hat! Looks awesome =^.^=
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008 01:14:20 AM by BonEsInspired » THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008 04:04:13 AM »

I love it!  I added to my favs.  And clicked the 'this rocks' button.  I must make one for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
smrfchic
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008 08:06:14 AM »

I love it! How do you do the hawk part, to get it to stick up like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
Sunnychoppers
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008 08:23:02 AM »

This is soooo cool!!!
I had to click "this rocks" on this one!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
neosynthesis
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 08:32:51 AM »

Thanks!

I love it! How do you do the hawk part, to get it to stick up like that?

The mohawk is made up of several 4" strips of wool yarn that is felted after it is attached to the hat.  The strips are attached kinda like ruffles/tassles at the edge of a rug.  Fold the yarn in half, pull the loop through a stitch in the hat, then pull the ends through that loop, I hope this makes sense.  After you make your mohawk, the hat is then felted. 

Before this project I had no idea how to felt anything.  In case you don't know either, you put your project in a pillowcase and tie the end (this is important because if you don't you could damage your washing machine).  You then place the pillowcase with your project into the washer and wash your project in hot water.  The hot water and the agitator will felt your project.  Note that acrylic or synthetic yarn will not felt.  I washed my hat for 5 minutes.  Do not let your washer go into the spin cycle while your project is in it.  After you remove your hat from the washer, rinse it in the sink if you used detergent to wash it.  Then gently squeeze out excess water, then roll your project in a towel then lay out to dry.  For this hat I let it dry on the styrofoam head, but I have heard that bowls will work well if you don't have a styrofoam head.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008 09:36:29 AM by neosynthesis » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buns
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008 11:42:03 AM »

This turned out awesome!  I'm sure he is going to love it!  Smiley  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teargardenparty
The Hostess of the Teargarden Party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008 11:53:44 AM »

this is awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R-D-H
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008 12:00:19 PM »

Way to go on getting around a school code... I understand the dress code, but never could understand why hair styles had to be coded too! 

It turned out awesome!  I can't believe you say your not very good at crocheting... that's just not true Tongue 
I love the colors you chose too, I'm sure he'll love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting Pet Peeve #9:  Finding one of my stray hairs worked into one of my projects... Yes I love having a piece of me in everything I craft but I don't mean it literally Tongue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Wear the Patterned Suit Trend
How to Wear Winter White
5 Celebrity Looks for Less
How to Make Sequin Tights
Naughty Makeovers for Nice Girls
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...