A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: faux-hawk **Now with Tutorial**  (Read 35674 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jutybo
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008 05:35:34 PM »

Great hat!  Great explanation!  Thank you!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TwistedTruth
Craft Addict

Riddle me this...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008 06:05:57 PM »

*gasp* I LOVE IT!
This is the first thing I'm going to do!.. After I finish the Christmas craft!

But honestly, this is amazing! And the tutorial makes sense! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafty Business Blog WARNING! <Probable> Spoilers | My Pinterest
MissFlynn
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008 12:54:54 PM »

Awesome pattern. My brother who was walking past looked at it and said "I WANT ONE. I'd so wear that!". Since he's 18 and you got his finicky approval, you absolutely hit the mark. I started two of these for Christmas gifts for the two brothers immediately and have just about finished the base hats. My only question is... For the wool yarn used in the hawk: Do you use the ww wool felting yarn or the thick/bulky wool felting yarn? Being that its so expensive and I'm using 4 different colors between the two boys, I'd hate to get the wrong thing and have it come out...not as good. XD

Also, for everyone else, I was brainstorming while working, and since I absolutely did not want to figure out the requirements for a fully felted hat base, I was thinking to get that fuzzy solid look... do you think putting short wool tails over the whole hat before (or while) working on the hawk and *mildly* felting (possibly by hand so that I could get what I'm looking for) would achieve the look or just become a disaster? Granted this will take alot of short yarn pieces.

I didn't want to tackle the full felt and have it come out too small, too big, or mis-shapen. But I still want to make it warmer and thicker, and to give it more of a solid/ hair look so I'm going out on a limb here. I'd really like to give them something amazing and I figure after using acrylic yarn for the base I'd get the perfect size shape to work with. What do you guys think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 MissFlynn

Hello, Monster on Etsy - Ferociously Cute Crochet
The Monster Blog
TwistedTruth
Craft Addict

Riddle me this...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008 07:53:54 PM »

I have a question, as I think about it. How many strands wide if your mohawk? It looks the perfect size and not overwhelming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafty Business Blog WARNING! <Probable> Spoilers | My Pinterest
Raychul22
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008 06:24:04 AM »

What a fab way of getting around those school rules!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neosynthesis
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008 09:26:40 AM »

OK, my attempt at answering your questions... some I cannot answer as I do not have enough experience crocheting or felting.

MissFlynn:
I used Lion Wool (100% Wool yarn) - http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/lionWool.html
As for the felting of the entire hat... I don't know because this is my first felting project, hopefully someone else can answer your question.  If you want to make it warmer, you could use fleece to line the hat and attach it with a blanket stitch.  That is what I was thinking about doing for a different hat, for someone who lives in Colorado.  The kid that's receiving this one lives in Cali, so he doesn't need a really warm hat.

TwistedTruth:
I attached the felting yarn in 4 horizontal, 5 vertical per row of stitches.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008 07:19:52 PM by neosynthesis » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabbit_ears
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008 04:54:49 PM »

great hat and tutorial! i just finished putting in the "hair" on my attempt and getting ready to felt. will post pix ASAP. Happy New Year! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"even Mona Lisa musta had the Highway Blues, you can tell by the way she smiles"
sweetnightmare
SweetNightmare

"Chic? I could never be chic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009 08:24:18 PM »

I am right now working on this (a modified version) for my 2 month old baby girl. Everyone will be so jealous. I am putting the hair on right now. I may or may not felt it though. Depends what it looks like when I am done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sincerely,
Liana
AKA: Alana's Mom <3
neosynthesis
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009 11:45:25 PM »

it looks pretty good even when it's not felted, but when it's felted... it looks amazing!  That's my opinion anyway.  Post pictures when you're done!  I'd love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Birdythemighty
Distracted by shiney

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009 11:42:03 PM »

this is going to be the perfect hat for my mom's boyfriend, since 09 is my year for home-made gifts. Thanks a ton for solving that problem for me. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lok-Tar Ogar!

Birdy's Blog: http://birdythemighty.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham Salad and Sandwich Recipe
Coney Island Barbecued Hot Dogs Recipe
Homemade Egg McMuffin Recipe
Country Fried Potatoes with Onions Recipe
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...