A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: faux-hawk **Now with Tutorial**  (Read 31373 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancindharma
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008 02:50:21 PM »

Fantastic idea!!  This will certainly be a big hit!  I've never seen a hat like that before...it will definitely stand out!  So fun!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenn Smiley

My friend, Emily, is giving away free lesson on how to make a boutique girls hair bow.  Get your free hairbow lesson at http://www.LearnHowToMakeBows.com

Submit Your Craft Video and Win $300.00
http://www.CraftsContest.weebly.com
marmalade_skies
I could make that for you, but I won't.

<(-_-)> (>-_-)> (>-_-<) <(-_-<) <(-_-)>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008 08:31:41 AM »

That is fantastic!  I can't crochet a hat to save my life, but I will knit one.  So awesome! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008 09:34:29 AM »

Words cannot express how much this hat rocks! Ive seen some pics of them online and they're always sooo expensive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neosynthesis
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008 12:00:55 PM »

Words cannot express how much this hat rocks! Ive seen some pics of them online and they're always sooo expensive!

You should totally make one!  It's really easy (there are tutorials on youtube that show you how to make beanies) and cheap... all together this cost less than $7, the most expensive part of it being the wool yarn for the hawk part... it takes a bit of time to make, especially if you're new to knitting or crocheting.  This one took me 2 days to make.  One day to make the hat, and one day to attach the "hair" and felt it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008 02:27:28 PM »

Haha, I think you talked me into it! Ive been crocheting for quite awhile now, so I've got that step down. It'll just be conquering the felting! But your directions were terrific so Im sure I'll be able to get it with only some moderate grumbling.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smrfchic
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008 06:28:32 PM »

Do you have a link to the pattern you used? I love the ear flaps and straps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
neosynthesis
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008 12:02:28 AM »

I didn't use a pattern, but I will try to explain what I did what I did:

1. I started out with a magic circle with 6 sc.
2. 2sc in each stitch (total = 12 sc)
3. 1 sc in first stitch, 2 sc in the next, repeat (18 sc)
4. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in the next 2 stitches, repeat (24 sc)
5. 1 sc in first 3 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (30 sc)
6. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in the next 4 stitches (36 sc)
7. 1 sc in first 5 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (42 sc)
8. 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in the next 6 stitches (48 sc)  -- if making for a child, skip to step 15
9. 1 sc in the first 7 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (54 sc)
10. 2 sc in the first stitch, 1 sc in the next 8 stitches, repeat (60 sc)
11. 1 sc in the first 9 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (66 sc) -- if making for a woman, skip to step 15
12. 2 sc in the first stitch, 1 sc in the next 10 stitches, repeat (72 sc)
13. 1 sc in the first 11 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch, repeat (78 sc)
14. 2 sc in the first stitch, 1 sc in the next 12 stitches, repeat (84 sc) -- Men's size
15. 1 sc in every stitch, repeat until hat is long enough to go down to the person's eyebrows.

After the hat is long enough to cover their head, it's time to make the ear flaps. 
The easy way to do it is to cut the yarn here with a tail to weave in later then start at one earflap 1/6 of the total stitches from the center of the hat (you can kind of see the hat broken into 6ths from the top of the hat, if not then totalNumberOfStitch es/6 = x, find the front-center, count x stitches out and start from there.
What I did (because I for some reason don't like tails) I left the last stitch that I made hanging, left enough slack of yarn to go to where I was starting the earflap and started crocheting, when I got back to the stitch I left hanging, I sc in that stitch and continued on.

To make the earflaps I no longer crochet around, but back and forth obviously.  To make the earflaps I SC in every stitch for 4/6ths of the hat in the first 2 rows.
In the next row, I decreased one stitch on each end by picking up 2 stitches and sc them together (I hope this makes sense because I don't really know proper terms as I kinda learned how to crochet on my own). -- do this in every other row.
In the next row, SC in every stitch.
repeat until the hat is long enough to cover the back of the person's head or however long you want it to go.

I finished it off making the cord off one of the ear flaps by chaining 50 stitches, then go back and sc in every stitch until you get back to the earflap, sc 1 into the ear flap then sc back to the end of the cord and back to the ear flap again,then joined the edges of the cord together with chain stitches.  Repeat to make the cord for the other earflap.

I hope this makes sense to you... let me know if you have any questions and I will try to clarify... sorry, I don't know how to write a pattern...

I don't know if this matters or not, but I used an I size crochet hook.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008 09:16:01 AM by neosynthesis » THIS ROCKS   Logged
abssinth
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008 04:16:04 AM »

Neosynthesis - The project came out awesome!  I haven't seen them before, but then again I live in a little podunk town.   Tongue   I'm absolutely going to have to make one!!!  I'm sure it will turn heads!  And I have three nephews that would love these!

As for the tut:  Props for the explanation, and your terminology is very very close to a technical pattern!  Terrific job!!!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dirne
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008 01:27:01 PM »

that's too clever. i never would have thought of that.
great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calliel

Oh fudgemuffins.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008 07:58:51 PM »

Amazing! I totally want one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not doing personal swaps right now, but if you're interested, go ahead and PM me anyway--maybe we can work it out for later. Smiley

Check out my mineral makeup on Etsy!

Blog: http://omgkate.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/Calliel
Etsy: http://luire.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Host a Caroling Party
Arm Knitting: A Scarf in 30 Minutes?
Tips from a Real Dad: Easy DIY Superhero Capes For Kids
How to Make a Coffee-Filter Tree
Indoor Holiday Branch Tree
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...