A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turn an old entertainment center into an end-of-the-bed bench  (Read 8014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phoenixfiredesigns
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 03, 2008 09:38:28 PM »

Whoo hoo! This was my first time doing a "recon" on furniture and I'm terribly proud of how it came out. About a year and a half ago (maybe even two years now), we bought a new entertainment center. Our old one didn't fit our tv anymore (we got a newer one that was slightly larger when the old died on us) and we had to make a ghetto modification to it and take out the shelves and glass door just to fit the tv. It made the whole thing unstable and rather ugly. So the new furniture came in - nice, espresso colored set - and the old one went out on our balcony. We're in an apartment on the 3rd floor and originally put the old piece out there "just until we got it downstairs." Shocked Yeah, well, like I said, a year and a half or more now it's been sitting out there.

So I had an idea. Why not cut the top off, make a cushion for it and turn it into a bench for the end of the bed - like a foot board bench. This way, Love can put his shoes on in the morning and have a place to sit.

So here's the before:

Oh yes. Sad state. Like I said - at least a year and a half it's been sitting out there collecting dust, holding our dead plant pots and any other junk we'd tossed out on the balcony for "the time being." (One of my cats, Mika, was very interested in "helping" us clear it off and prep it for cutting as evidenced by her tail in the shot.)

This is my friend cutting off one of the sides with the circular saw. I was hiding inside the apartment, safely behind the glass for this cut. Of course, for the second, he needed me to come out and actually HOLD the other side so it would be stable as he cut it. Eep! Scary. (Ok, I mean not really. It was just because hello? Flesh cuts easier than particle board but I was a good two feet away from the saw blade.)

Meanwhile...a couple weeks ago, I went to Joann's and bought 1.5 yards of fabric and 1.5 yards of a foam material designed for outdoor furniture cushions. I didn't need it to be the outdoor stuff specifically but it was on sale for $8.99/yd instead of the green foam which was like $30/yd. Made huge sense to me to use it instead. Wink

So I sewed a basic "pillow case" cushion for it. (Which, let me tell you, I was very proud. I'm such a newbie sewer, this was the biggest project I've made so far.)

And here it is with the foam. I had to cut the foam down in width and I had to do it with dull house scissors because it was all I had on hand. I HIGHLY recommend that one NOT use dull house scissors when cutting foam as it's really, really hard. A box cutter would have been ideal but I was impatient after sewing the cover to make it work.

Here is my other cat, Gracie, "helping" me stuff the cushion. Thanks a lot for your help! Roll Eyes Cheesy

I used hook-and-loop (velcro) to close the one end so it's removable in case I need to clean or change the cover. Stuffed it in, moved the newly cleaned now bench into the bedroom and voila! I've got a foot board bench!

Love put his shoes on the center shelves for easy access. This also means they won't just be sitting on the floor next to the bed for me to trip over in the middle of the night.

The old "cubbies" are holding spare throw pillows at the moment and a blanket.

All-in-all, while a simple recon, I'm damned proud of how it came out. And I'm proud that I took a piece of furniture that otherwise would have been trash and turned it into something useful. For about $25 in fabric and foam, a friend's borrowed saw, a quickie sewing project and about an hour in elbow grease, I think we did pretty good. Grin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009 08:23:16 AM by phoenixfiredesigns » THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
whyme81687
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 09:46:22 PM »

This is pretty awesome and so useful. Sometimes the simplest changes make the biggest differences.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 10:00:47 PM »

Good job! Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008 11:19:47 PM »

great re-con!!  i love when others think outside the box!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
Avian Flight
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008 11:22:26 PM »

awesome! we have reconned furniture as well though it's usually my dad who does it. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
mrsatama
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008 11:54:10 PM »

what a great idea!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluttermuffin
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 04:35:03 AM »

Very cool idea... wish I would have thought about doing that before we took our old ET center to the dump this summer. great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YoungMom

My honey and I

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008 06:14:05 AM »

Oh wow! That is a great idea!! You did a fantastic job on it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Amy~~

My Wist!!  http://www.wists.com/?action=login_form

The Goddess is the Universal Mother, Earth Mother, The Lady. She is the source of fertility, endless wisdom and caresses. She is represented by the Moon.....
phoenixfiredesigns

~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008 07:29:11 AM »

Thanks guys! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008 09:41:02 PM »

Great recon!  What a nifty way to keep something out of the landfill, save some money and give Love some help in the morning! 

Helpful hint: use a bread knife (serrated blade) to saw foam instead of scissors or a blade.  It's gives you a much cleaner cut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NEX-C3 Hands-on
Studio Visit With Marilyn Minter
What Makes a Great Photograph
Samsung NX100 Hands-on Video at Photokina 2010
Canon Multipurpose 4k Camera Concept
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...