Whoo hoo! This was my first time doing a "recon" on furniture and I'm terribly proud of how it came out. About a year and a half ago (maybe even two years now), we bought a new entertainment center. Our old one didn't fit our tv anymore (we got a newer one that was slightly larger when the old died on us) and we had to make a ghetto modification to it and take out the shelves and glass door just to fit the tv. It made the whole thing unstable and rather ugly. So the new furniture came in - nice, espresso colored set - and the old one went out on our balcony. We're in an apartment on the 3rd floor and originally put the old piece out there "just until we got it downstairs."
Yeah, well, like I said, a year and a half or more now it's been sitting out there.
So I had an idea. Why not cut the top off, make a cushion for it and turn it into a bench for the end of the bed - like a foot board bench. This way, Love can put his shoes on in the morning and have a place to sit.
So here's the before:
Oh yes. Sad state. Like I said - at least
a year and a half it's been sitting out there collecting dust, holding our dead plant pots and any other junk we'd tossed out on the balcony for "the time being." (One of my cats, Mika, was very interested in "helping" us clear it off and prep it for cutting as evidenced by her tail in the shot.)
This is my friend cutting off one of the sides with the circular saw. I was hiding inside the apartment, safely behind the glass for this cut. Of course, for the second, he needed me to come out and actually HOLD the other side so it would be stable as he cut it. Eep! Scary. (Ok, I mean not really. It was just because hello? Flesh cuts easier than particle board but I was a good two feet away from the saw blade.)
Meanwhile...a couple weeks ago, I went to Joann's and bought 1.5 yards of fabric and 1.5 yards of a foam material designed for outdoor furniture cushions. I didn't need it to be the outdoor stuff specifically but it was on sale for $8.99/yd instead of the green foam which was like $30/yd. Made huge sense to me to use it instead.
So I sewed a basic "pillow case" cushion for it. (Which, let me tell you, I was very proud. I'm such a newbie sewer, this was the biggest project I've made so far.)
And here it is with the foam. I had to cut the foam down in width and I had to do it with dull house scissors because it was all I had on hand. I HIGHLY recommend that one NOT use dull house scissors when cutting foam as it's really, really hard. A box cutter would have been ideal but I was impatient after sewing the cover to make it work.
Here is my other cat, Gracie, "helping" me stuff the cushion. Thanks a lot for your help!
I used hook-and-loop (velcro) to close the one end so it's removable in case I need to clean or change the cover. Stuffed it in, moved the newly cleaned now bench into the bedroom and voila! I've got a foot board bench!
Love put his shoes on the center shelves for easy access. This also means they won't just be sitting on the floor next to the bed for me to trip over in the middle of the night.
The old "cubbies" are holding spare throw pillows at the moment and a blanket.
All-in-all, while a simple recon, I'm damned proud of how it came out. And I'm proud that I took a piece of furniture that otherwise would have been trash and turned it into something useful. For about $25 in fabric and foam, a friend's borrowed saw, a quickie sewing project and about an hour in elbow grease, I think we did pretty good.