A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: it's been awhile...1st dress in about a year or so?? work in progress  (Read 1934 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , plaid , party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kritenkrit
« on: December 03, 2008 07:56:25 PM »

This is a work in progress, just need some advise...
So, I haven't been making clothing for awhile, but now I'm attempting to make a christmas party dress.  I was going to just go with green top and black bottom, but I saw this shiny plaid taffeta type fabric, so I just thought why not? 

But now, I'm afraid I may look like a giant dressed-up leprechaun in it!  I do have red hair...hence the leprechaun reference. 

basic question..do you the dress looks too cheesy or leprechaun-y?  Should I just make the bottom black?

thanks!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008 07:57:00 PM by kritenkrit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Speak what you think now in hard words and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it may contradict everything you said today...To be great is to be misunderstood.
HootHootHope
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 08:10:19 PM »

i think it's cute! but i get what you're saying with the leprechaun-y-ness. I like it, but you wouldn't want to feel uncomfortable. I don't think you'd look like a leprechaun. Maybe you could add some red, maybe a big red flower pin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 08:21:00 PM »

Honestly, i think it is a bit busy. LOVE the top and LOVE the bottom, but maybe solid black on the bottom would be best. Or solid black on the top! Cute! Make two, and switch halfway through the night. Brilliant!  Cheesy

But if you decide to nix the bottom bit, it would make a gorgeous high-waisted skirt all on its lonesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
panda_angel99
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008 08:21:18 PM »

I think it looks cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like pandas!!<p> Soon to be New Mommy<p> UCI Allumni<p>
Uniqueworn
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008 08:37:40 PM »

I love it! I think with a black cardigan it will be perfect.

I also love you painted velvet unicorn in the back ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
brigidamor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008 08:57:03 PM »

The dress is hot but I do agree with the busy comment. I think the problem is the (gorgeous) fabric on top has a subtle pattern to it that doesn't work 100& with the plaid and the green in the top and bottom are sliiiiiightly different. However, I do think it would probably work with a black shrug as well since it would detract from the pattern on the top. As far as the leprechaun thing goes- there's no way. The green will make your hair look amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kritenkrit
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008 09:07:17 PM »

Thanks so much for the input!  It's helped...I think I will just make the bottom black and maybe do something else with the plaid fabric...maybe a variation on the dress with plaid top?  anywho, thanks everyone for your opinion, i really appreciate it!

thanks uniqueworn for noticing my awesome art in the background...it's an old christmas present from a good friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Speak what you think now in hard words and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it may contradict everything you said today...To be great is to be misunderstood.
gouge
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008 09:29:29 PM »

I like it the way it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherry_blossom55
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008 11:27:57 AM »

I think the plaid is cute with the plain top, but my concern would be that the greens don't exactly match, and hence don't really look like they should go together. (ie: the you-obviously-made-that-yourself syndrome.) I don't think it's too busy, but the colour discrepancy makes me lean toward using a black skirt.

if you DO use a black skirt, just think of the things you could do with that plaid skirt on its own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicole Pearl, The Beauty Girl; At-Home Hair Color Review
Pony Tail Hair Extensions Backstage at the Herve Leger Fall 2012
Exploding Curls at Badgley Mischka Fall 2012
How to Style Hollywood Inspired Waves
5 Stylist Tips For Your Next Hair Cut
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...