A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted Hair Snood  (Read 2194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2008 07:27:02 PM »

I made this snood with eyelash yarn and didn't realize how difficult it would be.  Fortunately, it was an extremely easy pattern to follow.  I spent several hours looking for a free pattern to use.  It only took about an hour to make and that was me having to start over several times.  I had a hard time seeing my stitches.  LOL  I tried putting elastic thru but it just fell out of my hair too easy.  So I threaded a ribbon and that worked pretty good.  I am giving it to my new daughter-in-law who has nice thick pretty hair.  We are so poor this year and I couldn't afford to buy anyone anything so I am giving handmade gifts only.  I also had to make everything from what I already had on-hand and that was a real challenge.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 07:42:34 PM »

Eyelash yarn IS a pain, but that came out great! And props to you for making all your presents! I'm making like 90% of mine, too (though I did buy supplies for a bunch of them). Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 08:19:04 PM »

Well, last year I didn't get anyone anything and I felt like a heel even though everyone was understanding.  I was kinda depressed and feeling sorry for us and our situation.  Even though a lot of other people are in the same situation it just doesn't make you feel any better.  So, having to figure out what I could make with what I had on-hand was not only a challenge but it raised my spirits, too.  It won't matter that I won't get anything either.  It's the giving that I like.  Thanks for the complement, it helps too.  I had to give up most of my scrapbooking stuff and I used the eyelash yarn for that but I just couldn't give it up.  I also use it for the hair for the Dotee dolls I like to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008 11:49:55 AM »

I like your hair snood.  You did a great job!  And, I totally understand the whole making gifts because of not any extra money.  Pretty much all the gifts we are giving people this year are all handmade by me because money is super tight with us as well.  Thats alright though, as Im sure a warm beanie or scarf will be greatly appreciated being its cold out now.  Have you considered making tawashi too?  Ive made a bunch of them as well, they dont use much yarn and theres sooo many different types to fit anyones personality.   Grin   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008 08:29:20 PM »

I totally understand about the making-gifts-from-stuff-on-hand thing! This is wonderful! Any way you could share which free pattern you used?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008 07:33:25 PM »

I totally understand about the making-gifts-from-stuff-on-hand thing! This is wonderful! Any way you could share which free pattern you used?

Sure, the pattern is really easy and you can get it here:  http://www.fjsmjs.com/Mary/basicbun.htm
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008 07:35:05 PM by agrafikartist - Reason: messed up the url » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008 08:40:22 PM »

I haven't seen a snood in ages!  My sister loved wearing them when her hair was long.  This one would be so pretty against light colored hair.  And never be ashamed of making presents!  Half of my extended family (coincidentally, the wealthier ones who think they have "too much junk already") isn't even giving gifts this year because it had turned into a giant gift card swap.  I think the problem is that they are so far removed from the fun and forethought that makes gift giving so much fun.  Keep on rocking!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008 05:25:10 PM »

Well, I like the fact that I can make things.  Luckily my kids are old enough to understand the situation.  And I have had quite a bit of fun figuring out what to make for them.  Thanks for the complement and encouragement.  Believe it or not, I got a lot of inspiration from this website.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiel
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008 05:47:13 AM »

Don't feel bad at all.  Last year was really tight for us and this year is not quite as bad but still tight.  I would rather have someone make something then go and buy me something.  Last Christmas I made 20 presents + 2 for a co-worker ($10 or less draw) and I spent a whole $65.  I made everyone bath wraps.  Wal-mart bath towel (long one), folded under one seam on long edge, sewed a pocket and ran elastic through, attached some velcor and was done.  Quick project if you have a sewing machine.

This year I bought everyone something and spent $100.  I;m having problems with my arm and can't crochet long enough to finish want I really wanted to make.

So...give me homemade any day.  Everyone asked this year what I wanted.  YARN!!!!!  They don't like the idea.  I told them give me something I want 2 skeins and I will turn it into something.  LOL!!!

I like the snood.  I wish I knew how to get my hair into a bun so I could make one.  I don't know if eyelash and fun fur are the same but fun fur is hard also to crochet and see stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Product Review: Glamoflauge Concealer by Hard Candy
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Of The Week
How To Create An Ombre Lip
Summer Makeup Tricks to Beat the Heat
How to Apply Gel Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...