A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple knit ornaments for a nursing home (w/ patt. link)  (Read 1468 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittyknitter

Help!!! There are UFO's everywhere in my room!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2008 01:31:10 PM »

I started the "Deck Out the Tree 4 Charity" project using my simple ornament pattern to help knit & raise enough knitted/crocheted/sewn ornaments before Christmas to give to every single nursing home resident in a Wacaunda, IL nursing home facility that my Grandfather belongs to. Please read below for the background story & the pattern link is at the bottom of the page. Please, please, please help out if you can!!! I really need ornaments sent to me before or by Dec 12th because the post is slow around the holidays.

The day after Thanksgiving, my whole family gathered yet again, but this time to visit my Grandfather in the nursing home. This is the same grandfather that underwent major heart surgery a while back, didn't recover, and started to deteriorate and have part of his foot removed because he couldn't walk...because he couldn't recover. I know, sick cycle. This was the first time that I visited him in the nursing home, and I was appalled at the sight of these lonely nursing home residents barely doing anything but staring at other people's visitors or falling asleep in front of a large TV in the "theater room" because the nurses are too busy or unwilling to wheel them around all day. The activity coordinator barely provides activities, doesn't even own a keyboard for visitors playing carols during the holidays, and residents are surely bored out of their minds all day. Every day. The loneliness of boredom and the every-day nothingness is seen in their eyes. It's enough to burn your heart.

I watched one elderly woman try to wheel herself in another direction and had trouble doing so. Every time a nurse walked down the hall, she tiredly tried flagging them down with her weak and shaky arm while also giving each the "puppy eyes" look. She craved attention. From anyone. Nurses. Residents. Other resident's visitors. All ignored her, leaving her with all the more heart-broken eyes. I asked one of the nurses why he kept ignoring her as he walked down the hall with an IV stand while she constantly tried to flag him down. He responded in a nonchalant way, "oh, she always does that." Yeah, and? Was my response. She's still a human being, and she might actually need help this time. All of them do.

So, without further ado (and hopefully you read most of above to get the gist), I'm starting a new charity organization ("Deck Out the Tree 4 Charity") that is devoted to knitting each and every single 100+ resident from that nursing home a knit holiday ornament: "Deck Out That Tree!" I am asking each and every one of you to see if you can find it in your time this week to knit some ornaments with the pattern I provided below. If it turned out that only a dozen people sent me just a few ornaments, it would save a tremendous amount of time on my part. I can only do so much, and knit so fast in under a month. I know realistically, I'm gonna need a lot of help from you all. I have a small tree in our living room that will be filled up during the week with all of the knit organizations. I hope to fill the entire tree up.

HERE'S THE PATTERN LINK: http://knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com/2008/12/deck-out-tree-for-charity-please-read.html
All other information on how & when to send them in is on that post

MATERIALS:
Yarn: 2 colors (X-MAS: red & green or WINTER: white & blue) of Red Heart Yarn (a worsted weight yarn), or any worsted weight yarn. (No fuzzy yarn please.) Yards: under 20 for each ornament in each color. It doesn't take much.
Needles: set of 4 dpns in size 8US (for the tight knitter) or size 7US (for the loose knitter) & a darning needle.
Gauge: as long as the stitches are relatively tight, the gauge does not matter. If you can see stuffing through the stitches, you are knitting too loose.
Stuffing: a generous handful of stuffing per ornament.
Place marker

THEY ARE SIMPLE, BUT WILL WARM A STRANGER'S HEART. PLEASE HELP ME GIVE EVERYONE IN THAT NURSING HOME AN ORNAMENT THIS CHRISTMAS!! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011 04:25:40 PM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting Blogger, designer, piano teacher, music composer, singer & mother to 3yr old twins!
>>Blog: www.knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com 
>>Ravelry ID: Knittyknitter
>>Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/652480628149920/#
>>KUAS Podcasts: http://www.youtube.com/user/knittingupastorm
le_coiffeur04
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 05:24:16 PM »

This is so nice of you to do. I would love to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madei
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 09:07:11 PM »

Omg this is unbelievably sweet of you. I'll try to find some time to participate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
le_coiffeur04
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008 09:12:49 AM »

Ok so I SUCK at dpns. LOL I am a beginner knitter so I whiped up some ornaments crochet style. Is that ok that they are different from yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittyknitter

Help!!! There are UFO's everywhere in my room!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008 08:04:44 PM »

I would accept anything...knit, crocheted, sewn, etc.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting Blogger, designer, piano teacher, music composer, singer & mother to 3yr old twins!
>>Blog: www.knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com 
>>Ravelry ID: Knittyknitter
>>Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/652480628149920/#
>>KUAS Podcasts: http://www.youtube.com/user/knittingupastorm
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stars Shine Bright at the Diamond Ball
NYE Makeup Tutorial With MakeUpbyLilit
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Easy Nail Tutorial With Celeb Manicurist Kimmie Kyees
DIY Candy Cane Bath Salts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...