A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick and Easy Catnip Toys (with Tutorial!)  (Read 4212 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2008 02:03:19 PM »

Ok, so I give my cats gifts for Christmas.  I can't help it, they're spoiled!  So today I made some really simple catnip toys for them.

What you'll need:
Scraps of fabric
Matching Thread
Dried Catnip
3x5 card (optional)
Uncooked Rice (optional)

My cats have an affinity to spherical and cylindrical objects.  I can't tell you why... they just do. Cheesy  So I tried to make them little balls filled with catnip and rice (I would've done all catnip but I guess I'm stingy!  I didn't want to waste all their nip in a toy and then have them not like it.  I'd be too lazy to get the nip back out.  Wink)

So first, I cut out some pieces in this shape.  I wasn't very exacting for my own cats, but if I was making them for gifts I would've been a little more careful  Lips sealed

The blue pieces will be spheres, the zebra print will come later!

Start by sewing right sides together like this. Do this for all sides except the last.

On the last side, make sure the points are all sewn together properly and if not, sew them up with this last side (I hope that makes sense!).  Sew from the pointed end in toward the middle on each side, leaving an open gap in the middle.  It should look sort of like this.

Turn it right side out

Fold your 3x5 card in half OR fold it in a way that you can fit one end into the opening in the ball.  I'm sorry I don't have a picture of this, but you're going to put your catnip (and rice if you want) onto the 3x5 card and then stick one end horizontally into the opening if possible, then move the card vertically to let the contents drop into the ball.  You may need to do this multiple times
Now the nip is in the sphere!

Now just slip stitch the opening and you're set!

Here's the kitts reaction when I woke them up from their daily day-long nap in my bed. *yawn*

It did get some nuzzles though

I also did this three other ways.  I did a sphere with the seams showing which was easier because I didn't need to slipstitch (I hate slipstitching when not 1000% necessary.)
Here's a comparison.  If figured they might like the added texture of the seams? Who knows.

I also did a vaguely mouse-like shape.  For the first two years that I had my cats I also had pet rats so overly rodent-like toys were/are not allowed.  But I figured other people might want to make them and they're only vaguely that shape anyway.  Basically I just used three pieces instead of four.

That's it!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 01:54:00 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinky Yarn
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 02:15:08 PM »

Those are really neat. My cats are kinda fat and lazy though. I'll definitely be making these for some uh, spring chickens I know though.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 02:29:22 PM »

love it and your kits are cute. ive been thinking about making some toys for my cats but theyve never had cat nip before. lets see if they flip out:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
KatyPamKnits
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008 02:34:53 PM »

I bought one of those multi-toy bags at a petstore and it had something kind of similar.  The fun thing about it was that it had a tag, so you knew how to wash it! And my cat carries the ball around by the tag, it's very cute.  So I would recommend a tag, it's like a handle for cats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teargardenparty
The Hostess of the Teargarden Party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008 04:06:40 PM »

i am going to do this for my cats.  you cats are super cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008 06:23:20 PM »

Now this looks like a sewing project that I might actually be able to do.  What a fun little project!  Thank you for sharing it.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps...and kittens...and rocks.  Weird huh?
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 06:26:44 PM »

Cute! My kitties might be getting some for Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008 03:42:09 PM »

Smiley  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008 12:20:56 AM »

These are cute and it looks like a great way to use up scrap fabric.  Plus, if you loose the nip and add more rice they look like they'd make cute hacky-sacks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beezer3
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011 10:15:48 PM »

So typical! You wake up the cats to show them the ultra-cool gift you made for them and what do you get?

A yawn.

I've got scrap fabric and a large quantity of nip as well. This is the perfect opportunity to make a yawn-inducer of my (their) very own. Thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Basic Paper Crease
How to Build an Origami: Boat With Roof
How to Fold an Origami Flower Part 2
Mac Tip: How to use your Mac Trackpad
How to Fold an Origami Four Leg Box
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...