A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chinchilla home  (Read 1837 times)
Tags for this thread: chinchilla  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Iokken
« on: June 16, 2011 04:55:37 PM »

Chinchilla apartment! With extra diy for your pleasure!  

The structure;

The shelves (they rest on the structure so they are really sturdy!)

Finished cage (with boyfriend and brother in law proudly testing the door they put in)

I have also made a couple of  toys (WHY are these so expensive to buy? I dont get it _!)

You get the idea

I also made this little scratch post for climbing. The house (its not big enough for a grown chin) is just three pieces of wood and 4 screws : )

I made several hammocks and a cardboard house

Its made out of toilet paper rolls. It was time consuming but a lot of fun!
The hammocks arent that exciting they are just hammocks. Now I just need a wheel (we are making that ourselves too!) some branches and some big stones for the bottom and we should be all set : )

::EDIT::
here she is! I actually caught a picture of her, in her favorite sleeping position; tucked in between a piece of wood and the mesh xD its not great in quality (and she did stand up when I approched) but she sleeps here. It resembles a feature in her old cage, so I quess she does this for comfort :3

more of her <3

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011 04:20:28 PM by Iokken - Reason: added pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcartwright856
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011 05:09:50 PM »

Oh, neat! This would be great for all sorts of other small pets, too! Thanks for showing us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 06:15:27 PM »

that's awesome!

my friend had a chinchilla, but he was free-range. that worked really well, until he settled in with a woman with 3 kids. the poor thing didn't stand a chance... Sad
he really could have used one of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iokken
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011 02:48:24 AM »

aww... poor chin :3

I would love to have the guts to have a free range chinchilla, but there are so many things in here that would kill him to chew... and equally many things my boyfriend would kill him for chewing ; )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ImbueHope
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011 10:45:32 PM »

The cage looks great, but..

I hate to be the "bubble burster", but I'm not sure all of the materials are safe for chinchillas.  It looks like you're using plywood, which isn't safe.  I might be wrong about it being plywood, but either way if it's a dangerous wood your chinchilla can chew it and it can cause ingestion and kill her...

Also, what is the blue stuff you used on the house?  The only safe material for chinchillas is anti-pill fleece or blizzard fleece. 

I'm hoping I'm wrong about it being an unsafe wood, because it looks like a great cage.  The third picture especially looks great.  & your chinchilla is adorable. Smiley

I'd recommend going on chins-n-hedgies.com to see if the woods you used are safe... it's a very informative website with a lot of helpful members who know a ton about chins. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Iokken
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011 12:21:54 PM »

it is plywood, but she is really picky about what she chews... I took out all the little bits of it (the hanging ones) because she just tossed it around. She really isnt interested in chewing anything that isnt paper, cardboard or stone.

you would also be pleased to know I removed anything with loose thread (the hanging toys, the toilet roll house etc. I also re-hung all of the hammocks with hooks)

I understand your concern but there are no indecations whatsoever that pine is the only safe wood for chins. Its all speculations and misunderstandings - i know the problem with plywood is the glue, but I wouldnt think twice about giving her real wood that I had no idea what was. I also give her hay that contains all sorts of different grass and Im sure that if people writing these insanely long lists about what a chinchilla can and cannot have, knew this, they would pretty much ban all of it.

the blue stuff is fleece.

I know you are saying these things because you care, but I must admit that I really do not believe anything written on the internet. I listen to the (danish) breeder that sold me the little furball, her advice is always logical and makes sense.

on a lighter note : D

I made a cube!

her fur is a bit messy because we tried to give her a friend and the new friend thought peeing on her would be nice -_-

and a new tunnel! (the old one was knit and she had it for a couple of weeks. it was bad, I know)

hope youre not mad at me Smiley even if Im not as careful about following rules as some owners, I treat her good, I let her out (open her cage and lets her run out if she feels like it) several hours a day. we are right now in the process of getting her a friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ImbueHope
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011 12:28:16 PM »

Okay, just be careful.  There have been chinchillas who have all of a sudden started chewing plastic they didn't touch before, so it's possible for her to randomly start chewing the plywood.  Just be sure to watch for that, since it can be dangerous for her.
--By the way, my chin lovesss those Chinese finger traps, and they're a safe toy to shred. Smiley   And if you ever decide to get a wheel, make sure it's at least 16in in diameter so it doesn't hurt her back.
Timothy hay is most common to give, since most pellets are alfalfa based.  They need both the alfalfa and timothy.  Hay should be given free range.~

Pine is not the only safe wood at all, it's just a common one you might use for building.  If you're curious, here's a widely agreed upon list of safe and unsafe woods for chins:  http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34   There is a certain way they need to be prepared (not just picked off of the tree, as sap and bugs and other things like that can be dangerous.  Let me know if you're interested on how it can be prepared~~)

I can't say I agree about information on the internet being wrong.  Yes, there is a lot that is (like the ones who say raisins are a good treat, that's not true, too much sugar), but there's a lot of correct info too.  Some people on the forum I mentioned have over 100 happy healthy chins, some are vets, etc, and they know a lot about the little furballs.  Even if you don't want to join, it wouldn't hurt to read some of it just to know what people say about certain ways to make the chin's life happier.  There is also a list of DIYs on how to make a bridge/fleece liner/hammocks/shelves/etc for them.

If you're able to get her a friend, it's a good idea to give the new one a 30 day quarantine in a different room and different cage, just to be sure she is healthy and can't spread any diseases to your current chin.  (Even when you trust your breeder, you still can never tell when one has been to exposed to something that may be dangerous to another chin) and to avoid aggression between the two when they do meet, it's recommended to do certain things that I can't quite think of off the top of my head but would be happy to tell you if you're interested. XD

I'm not mad at all, and I'm glad you made the corrections you did.  Smiley  Plus I was just spouting out facts I've learned just in case you wanted to know lol.  I'm sure your breeder has a lot of knowledge, but it never hurts to have more than one source of information.  And her tunnel and cube look great.  I'm sure she's a happy chin, not to mention an adorable one.  (Just a warning about the playtime though, if she's under six months old you might want to limit the playtime a bit because she needs her calories/energy to grow.  My chin is a few years old now and she gets about an hour of playtime a night.)  ---I'm sorry if any of this came out as mean/know it all or anything, because if it did I wasn't intending that at all~  It's okay if you're not like super careful, it's just a good idea to know things so you don't find yourself in a bad situation with her health.  If you have any questions about anything above or anything like what kind of treats/toys are liked, or if you want to just talk chins, let me know. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet V Shaped Borders
How to Crochet the 1st Row in Slitted Tree Skirts
How to Crochet with Wool Allergies
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 6/7
How to Crochet the 1st Line in Slitted Tree Skirts
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...