A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polyester and waterproof  (Read 655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pinkguin
« on: October 08, 2008 08:47:04 AM »

Hey craftsters,

I was at the fabric store this afternoon (there was a 20% sale on all items!!) found this amazing cloth that's begging to be made into a raincoat. All the tag said was: 100% polyester. I'm not sure if it is made to be waterproof. Is the raincoat still possible to be made? Will the rain seep through the polyester cloth? I'm thinking of lining the cloth with a layer of plain cotton or perhaps calico. Help please! Any ideas?

Pinkguin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand it over to you on a plate

http://www.wists.com/Pinkguin
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008 09:17:54 AM »

Test a swatch?
Most raincoats fall into one of these categories:

water repellant treated Nylon or polyester or poly blend (like a typical man's trench coat)
Vinyl coated cotton (your shiny cute print kid raincoats)
Rubberized cotton (like a real Mackintosh)

None are machine washable. If the fabric info on the end of the bolt didn't mention any of these qualities it's probably not water repellant. Now, some tightly woven polyesters are fairly resistant, but will eventually soak through, but would be fine fo a brief light shower or heavy fog type situation. How much rain do you walk in? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mom2blu
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008 09:40:41 AM »

I'm not sure how to tell if it is waterproof (besides testing some) but I once, years ago, saw a thing where they took some type of flexibile vinyl varnish like stuff to waterproof something similar. They made the item and brushed on this weird sealer. I'm not sure what the sealer was, or if you can actually find it anywhere but I thought I'd suggest the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 01:07:14 PM »

I had a coat once, and I've never been certain, but I was fairly sure it had three layers.  A dense, water-resistant (though not repellant) polyester, and the inner lining was a soft knit, but it always felt like there was a third, more structured layer in between, and I wonder if that wasn't water repellant?  I don't know about constructing coats with three layers, but it may be a possibility?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Pinkguin
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008 07:35:23 AM »

Hi all, thanks for your input! I'm thinking of buying those cheap "disposable" raincoats to be the middle layer, so rain won't soak through. I'm not sure if the craft store sells the sealers, but will check it out once i've got the time! Thanks again! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand it over to you on a plate

http://www.wists.com/Pinkguin
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008 02:23:46 PM »

reading your title reminded me of an experiment i have been meaning to try. fusing plastic, but one or thing layer of it onto a cotton or some sort of fabric that goes well with it.... sorta like interfacing? donno
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 03:34:00 PM »

They make a vinyl that's designed to be ironed on to cotton that will give you a waterproof surface. One brand is Therm-O-Web Iron On Vinyl. It's stocked in the same area as innerfacing and fusibles.

Important note: most vinyl & plastics don't tolerate heat well, they melt or burn instead of bonding, the product I mentioned was designed to be heat bonded and you can screw up pretty bad if you use a too hot iron. You can also burn yourself pretty bad even if you do it right. It's best used with cotton because cotton tolerates heat better than man made fibers (polyester, nylon, etc.). You don't want the fabric you are trying to waterproof to melt or burn either.
I have used it with moderate success. It looked & wore well as a liner for a makeup bag, it didn't take the abuse of being a lunch tote.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Maggie Simpson - 28th Drawing
How to Draw Rainier Wolfcastle - 57th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - 3rd Drawing
How to Draw Homer Simpson - 1st Drawing
How to Draw Young Homer Simpson - 58th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...