A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick and Easy Lavender Sachets (with Tutorial!)  (Read 23402 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , lavender  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2008 12:50:25 PM »

So, as is the case with most Craftsters (I assume), I'm making some of my holiday gifts.  Things are verrrrry busy around here in Craftster-land with sweets being gone for maternity leave, so I needed quick simple gifts that I could get done easily after working a long day.  I thought that my grandma would appreciate some lovely lavender sachets for her drawers.

First, let me apologize for using the busiest fabric known to man.  Cheesy  It was on $2/yd clearance at Joann!  And even though it's not really lavender, in my mind it really fit this project.  For these two sachets I used a ridiculously small amount.

What you'll need:
Scrap/small pieces of fabric (unless you want to make lots), I used cotton
Matching thread
Lavender
3x5 card (optional)
Rice (optional)
Buttons (optional)

Cut out your pieces.  I used 4x4 inch squares just because.  You can really make them whatever size you feel is best.  The small piece at the end was just a remnant that didn't quite equal 4 inches.  I'll still be using it, though!

Next, pin your pieces, right sides together, and start sewing about an inch from the corner.

(Sorry so out of focus!)

You're going to sew all the way around until you get to the side you started on and sew about an inch down that side and stop.  You can see where I've stopped here by looking at the pins.  Obviously if your sachet is a different shape you can sew less than or more than one inch, you just need to have a decent sized opening left.

If you can remember, clip your fabric corners then turn inside out.  (I say if you remember because while I was making this tute, I didn't think about it!)  You can see that when you turn it inside out, the fabric folds and doesn't stick out all wonky.  This is very helpful!.  I <3 quilting cotton!

(Dangit! also out of focus. Sad)

Next,  you're going to topstitch the same way you already stitched the pieces together.  Leaving the opening... open.

Now, take your 3x5 card and fold it in half.  Put your lavender on the card.

I bought lavender from Joann.  It was $4 for 4oz! I don't know anything about this kind of thing but that seemed expensive to me.  It was also made for spa products so maybe it was a better quality?  If you want to make lots and don't want to "water down" your lavender with rice (like I did) you may want to find a cheaper alternative!

Here's how I put it in.  I put the lavender/rice in the folded card and stuck the card in this way.

Then I flipped it this way and squished the card open (if that makes any sense).

Make sure it isn't too awfully full because you want to machine sew it shut.  Just line up your previous topstitching and basically connect the dots!

Voila!  

It still needed something, though, so I took a vintage button and a regular button and sewed them in the middle.

Now, if you'd like a sachet with a loop, just add these directions to the beginning.

Cut yourself a length of fabric (or make one if your scraps aren't long enough!  Wink)

Fold each side in toward the middle,

then fold the entire thing in half.

Pin in place and sew.  I sewed down mine twice for added strength but I guess you don't have to.  Or if you have a double needle you could bust that out!  Just make sure you get as close to the edge as you can to help it from coming unfolded.

Now you've got this:

Which you can put like this:

Then put your next piece on top.  You'll have to use more pins for this than for the one sans loop!

Now just continue from the beginning (just make sure the loop is on one of the sides that you sewed up completely. Wink
And here's your finished loopy sachet!

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014 11:14:17 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 05:55:11 PM »

very nice! I love making these sorts of things for people, so lovely when you open the present the scent just makes it  perfect. I dont use rice I use toy stuffing in mine.
with my smaller pieces of fabric I make gifts too.
I have been making heatpacks for xmas with wheat and lavendar.
And you can use the lavender inside coasters which is nice, I have made a few sets for gifts.
I also make the rice and lavendar eye pillows  too.
thanks for sharing, the cardboard trick looks great i use a funnel usually. but sometimes i cant find it.
cyndiq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008 12:40:28 PM »

I love lavender & lavender sachets!  Smiley  If you make more, as a heads up, they sometimes sell dried lavender in the bulk sections of grocery stores like Whole Foods & Sprouts.  It's way cheaper...or you could always dry some yourself but I guess that would take a bit longer.  Wink

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PropaManda

British culture, Russian Literature, & Pugs Please

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008 07:33:20 AM »

I was actually thinking about making some like these the other day...thanks for the tutorial! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Heavy morals seem so light but when it comes to cash, I'm gonna die all right" - The esteemed Pele Almvquist, Hive.
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008 08:24:04 AM »

I love lavender & lavender sachets!  Smiley  If you make more, as a heads up, they sometimes sell dried lavender in the bulk sections of grocery stores like Whole Foods & Sprouts.  It's way cheaper...or you could always dry some yourself but I guess that would take a bit longer.  Wink

Very cute!

Thanks!  One of the girls working at Joann suggested a health food store, but I was in too much of a hurry. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009 11:03:11 AM »

Sweet, I'm so going to make tons of these once i get back home. Smiley  Thank you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
mommysaurusrex
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009 03:48:59 PM »

Thanks for the tute. Those are super cute...**off to buy lavendar!**
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeynajar
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013 01:51:42 PM »

Why not rice and Lavender essential oil?  Then you can put some drops on it to freshen it every so often.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013 03:07:43 PM »

That would be good, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013 08:55:10 AM »

This is the perfect holiday gift! Quick to put together and it's something anyone would love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jimmy Carter Talks About Leading a Worthy Life
Tartarus: Kingdom Wars II Book Trailer
Chuck Borsellino Talks About Pinocchio Parenting
GoldenGirl Book Trailer
Forever Young Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...