A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled material cube for a first Christmas  (Read 1988 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2008 12:59:39 AM »

I made these for the other babies in the parents' group I go to with my 6 month old son. The bubs are all teething and mostly just starting to do the commando crawl/roll/unsteady sitting up thing, so not really big enough for hard or complicated toys.

There are three different kinds of cubes - four are a mixture of superbright colours, two pale pastel "girly" hues, and one is all greens! (It's just the way it turned out)

Each cube has multiple textures and colours - smooth satin, soft velveteen, bumpy towel and scratchy brocade.
Each cube has two ribbon taggies for little fingers to pull and little mouths to suck on.

The BEST thing about all these cubes is that they're made of 99% recycled materials (literally -All apart from the new thread)!
The fabric I used came from my stash - the squares are an old towel, a nightie I had when I was ten, a thrifted dress, one of my partner's old cotton bathrobes and offcuts from other projects by both myself and my grandma. The aquamarine squares are even from plain hemp fabric I dyed myself a while back, for a bellydancing costume.
The cubes are stuffed with even more offcuts (I have a HUGE stash of them, I couldn't bear to throw even the tiniest sliver away, I felt guilty for being wasteful) so they've got a nice weight and are soft and squishy.

Here's the mountain of finished cubes

And here's the help I had with stuffing them (Future crafter in the making Grin)!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008 01:29:34 AM by aphie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
woollymammoth

nothing makes me happier than babies and chocolate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 01:07:13 AM »

What's great about these is not only do they have a variety of eye catching colours, but you also combined different textures into the blocks. Great work! Lots of lots of blocks are a baby's best friend...and what an inexpensive and no frills way to keep them happy. Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jolien
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 02:04:19 AM »

They're really cute!  Smiley How do you get the blocks to keep their square shape? I made a couple of stress balls a while ago using 6 squares and they turned out round. No problem considering their purpose, but I was wondering what I had to do to make them squary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
withoutAclue

Pippilotta in a jampot...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008 04:18:33 PM »

HAHAA! I love your icon!  I always want to eat babies' heads.  I mean--you know what I mean, pretending to eat them hahahaha. 

I love these! The moms and bubs will love them, too! 

Taggies were a great detail.  I love the terrycloth square!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Preserve a Newspaper Clipping
How to Press Flowers and Leaves
How to Reuse Old Business Cards
How to Sharpen Scissors
How to Strip Wood
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...