A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An 'Organizing your materials' question.  (Read 1468 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smudgycat
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009 07:42:26 PM »

For a variation on the garbage bag idea....I've used space bags effectively for storing bits of fabric.  If you get the small bags, you can layer your fabrics, and see them through the plastic.  It doesn't eliminate digging for fabric, but at least it's easier to focus your digging to a specific location.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
LagamorphLounge
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009 01:03:28 PM »

Like someone else said, before my fabric even gets to my sewing room aka the garage, it gets washed and folded.  My washing machine is upstairs and sewing room downstairs, I'm also 7 months pregnant, so running up and down the stairs everytime I need fabric washed is really a hassle.  I keep my full lengths folded neatly in rubbermaid containers.  They are not new by any stretch, but they work great.  I usually pick them up at garage sales in the summer and at thrift stores /going out of businesss type sales during the rest of the year.  Each box is labeled according to the type of fabric it contains.  No sense finding the greatest polka dot woven if what I really need is a knit.

I have one shelf above my sewing machine that is about 6 feet long.  I have jar lids screwed to it from the underside, this way I can stack things on top, and screw in jars for notions from the bottom.  I have like 30 baby food jars that hold all my different color buttons.  Larger jars hold other notions. 

For large rolls of fabric I keep them standing upright in an old clean metal garbage can.  I got it super cheap at Lowe's because it didn't have the matching lid and was dented. 

Lastly, I got a kitchen organizer from Walmart on clearance.  It was like $4.00 but it works GREAT!  It is basically a stainless bar (about 3-4 feet long) and has stainless hooks, baskets, tray, spice rack, paper towel holder etc.  The paper towel holder works great for ribbons, the hooks hold all my scissors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009 05:31:15 PM »

I recommend getting into the folding habit, then when you are old like me & Suffering from SABLE* you will at least be organized well for your executors.
Here is one drawer out of eight:
Yes, they are all color coordinated. Six are large pieces like that and the last two have deep 3" wide hanging folders for scraps under 6" square, also by color. And that is just my cottons.
Everything that isn't cotton dress weight is in these types of bins:

And my buttons are in these bins from Home Depot that fit in a box type thingy for easy carrying (meant for screws & stuff)

As mentioned above, I've been at this a very long time. Every year I pick one portion of my crafting & organize it better, use it up, give it away or something so it doesn't just keep accumulating without getting used.

*SABLE= Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Catdog Campers
How to Draw Dory and Nemo
How to Draw a Labrador Puppy
How to Create Motion Tweens in Flash CS4
How to Open XFL Files from InDesign in Flash CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...