A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EASY rustic/twig star(tree topper)  (Read 2726 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_decoration  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IonlyTRY2sewYaKnow

And a Fa, La, La to you too, Mister.

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2008 09:14:51 PM »

I thought I'd share this easy tree topper star idea that's made from sticks/twigs.  I searched, but couldn't find a similar craft already listed.  It sounds incredibly easy and would be a great idea for involving the help of younger children, if you happen to have any around. 

Collect sticks/branches/twigs from outside and cut them into pieces that are approximately 6 inches in length.  You can use as few or as many as you like.  Hot glue them together shaping the pieces into a star.  Attach them to a paper towel or toilet paper cardboard tube with a vertical stick/twig/branch, glued in place. Slip it on the top of the tree...and Voila!

(If you don't have a cardboard tube handy, just use whatever else you can find that's round/tubular you think might work...I cut an empty pringle's can down for us to use and plan on disguising it by wrapping the can with a piece of a brown paper sack glued around it, myself)

Talk about easy...  I thought this was a great idea for a topper.  And my 5 year old LOVES to help with making things...so this is a perfect activity for us to do together(well minus the hot glue, of course)

The only thing is... I can't remember exactly which website I was on when I came across the instructions for the idea.  I think it was at "ehow" and I did a search using the keywords "tree topper" and this was one of the results it came back with.

I found the idea after my 5 year old was already asleep in bed.  So tomorrow, we will be collecting our sticks and making one.(Our weather forecast says we should expect some snow tomorrow though, so I'm hoping we'll get them collected before it hits us)  I'll post a photo of it after we actually make ours.

Edit:  Here's what we ended up with...

(my webcam is totally colorblind, and this picture looks horrible compared to how great this thing looks in person.  My son went a little wild with the red glitter...but that's ok because now it sparkles and I really love how it looks in the light.  It looked a little too plain left as it was, and I had way too many little spots of hot glue showing to leave it that way...which is why we opted for the glitter) We also ended up cutting a toilet paper tube in half and glueing more sticks onto the outside of it.  I then made two little 'notches' to help support the weight of the twigs because a few of them were a little larger and heavier than the smaller sized ones and I was afraid the weight would cause it to lean once it was on the tree.  With the sticks on the front it reminds me of a shooting star...although in THIS photo...it looks more like someone puked on it...hahaha.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008 07:27:25 PM by IonlyTRY2sewYaKnow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not about the way you pick your nose...it's where you place the booger that counts."
lwooters
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 05:44:08 AM »

please post a picture when you finish this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seven-Minute Frosting for Coconut Cupcakes
Dairy Free Cupcake Frosting Recipe
No-Cook Nutella Ice Cream Recipe
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream Recipe
Date Custard Pie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...