A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,360
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet a Hat without Crocheting in the Round?  (Read 2155 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darkladymajesta
« on: December 02, 2008 01:54:43 PM »

I have been crocheting squares and rectangles for a long time. But every time I try to make anything in the round (arugumi, animals and hats in particular) I just get lost. I have the book by Debbie Stroller and still can not get crocheting in circles. It just confuses my poor eyes and brain. So my real question:
Does anyone have patterns for hats that do not require you to work in the round?
I would greatly appreciate it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DragonessD
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008 07:56:11 PM »

I just did an adaptation of a knit pixie hat not too long ag0 here - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=274204.0

There's a chart and directions on page 3 (sadly not in the same post), and pictures on page 2 and 4, but it's a rectangle that you sew up one side. Dunno if this is quite what you're looking for.

*EDIT* Also found this - it works as a rectangle, too, then sew up the back and gather up the top ... if you're looking for something more traditional - http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/forest_glen_friendship_hat.htm
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008 08:04:04 PM by DragonessD » THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkladymajesta
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008 07:33:37 PM »

That pixie hat is really cute! I might have to try it.. Ill have to break out my book to learn front post crochet and back post single crochet. I know I will have to learn soon how to crochet in the round... just not right now  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joonsang
Reira_Valentine

Let's Make Biscuts.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008 01:33:31 AM »

For crocheting in the round, I rewrite the patterns out in left to right format.  (line format)
I can't stare at it in it's circular form.
My brain dies a little inside.
XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only those who Dream, are worthy of creating ideas.
darkladymajesta
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008 10:00:39 AM »

I might try that. Its just that I lose track of the stitches and have to start all over.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008 10:37:38 AM »

When you're ready to try crocheting in the round again, getting locking stitch markers will be really helpful.  (They're basically just plastic safety pins, and sometimes I just use regular safety pins if I can't find mine).  I use them to mark the beginning of each round so I don't get lost.  And for bigger projects, you can put a stitch marker at every 10 or 20 stitches so that if you get lost in a round, you don't have to frog the whole round.  Trust me, stitch markers are a LIFE SAVER!   Cheesy

Good luck with your hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
darkladymajesta
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008 01:35:16 PM »

I had thought of stitch markers. But I tend to have trouble actually counting the stitches themselves. But I guess if I put a stitch marker at the beginning of each round (instead of just the beginning) they may work better  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008 04:24:52 AM »

If you use a stitch marker you should have no problems at all following an in the round pattern.  It really is no different than doing it in rows - you just aren't turning at the end of each row, that's all Wink  At the end of each round, move a stitch marker.  I also leave a stitch marker at an important spot so that I can keep track of things - like if there is a long stretch where you are doing many rows just working even, I will put a marker at the beginning of that set just for counting reasons (sometimes I forget to click my row counter) and that helps to not have to count the rounds from the very beginning each time.....
Once you make friends with working in the round you will really enjoy it.  I could not do it without stitch markers.  It is really important - even if you use just a length of yarn(knot one end to help it stay in place a little bit better) at first so that you don't have to buy markers - try it out.  Then you will be off making stuffies and hats and bags and all sorts of great goodies Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
darkladymajesta
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008 04:10:54 PM »

Maybe Ill make a hat in time for my trip to South Carolina  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joonsang
Reira_Valentine

Let's Make Biscuts.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008 01:55:26 AM »

When I started, I put stitch markers in every row.

Then I learned not to. It can be easy if you count in your head or write down what you just did. It may seem hard, it just takes time I guess. Most of the time I have to count over and over cause I'm unsure ahhahahaha..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only those who Dream, are worthy of creating ideas.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring Trend Report: Camo Whammo
Palmer//Harding Spring 2014 Menswear
Umit Benan Spring 2014 Menswear
How New York Fashion Week Showgoers Are Wearing Fall’s Hottest Looks
Met Gala - Punk Stories: Cara Delevingne Rocks the Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...