A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blocking a very long scarf. How would you do it?  (Read 384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angeltreats
« on: December 02, 2008 08:22:20 AM »

I just finished a lace scarf that's about the same height as me - about 5' 5".  I don't have carpet at home, we have wooden floors throughout and the best surface I can think of is the ironing board, which would probably require blocking one half, letting it dry out and then doing the other half.  Or I guess I could lay towels on the floor and pin the scarf to those, but the problem with that is that a cat will inevitably come along and upset it all when I'm not looking. I wondered how other people would go about blocking something that's very long. 

I was probably going to do the ironing board/blocking it in two parts idea, but I'll wait and see if anyone comes up with a better idea  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008 08:50:14 AM »

Yep, you can block half at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008 08:57:07 AM »

I wonder...if you pinned it very well to towels, could you then hang the whole thing over a shower rod?  If you safety pin the towels together, that is...  I have no idea if that would work, but I can't see why not...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Pirate Mama
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008 09:04:50 AM »

If you can block it first thing after getting out of bed you could pin it to your mattress and let it dry with the door closed...if you're worried about it being damp before your bedtime just leave a fan on it...do close the bedroom door on kitty while you are out...Poor Kitty! Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008 09:11:25 AM »

I wonder...if you pinned it very well to towels, could you then hang the whole thing over a shower rod?  If you safety pin the towels together, that is...  I have no idea if that would work, but I can't see why not...

Our shower rod is very flimsy!  I think if I hung anything on it that was heavier than the shower curtain it would all come crashing down.

The bed might be a good idea though, I could lay towels on the bed and pin the scarf to those so the bed itself didn't get wet, and it's easy enough to keep the cats out of the bedroom for a day or so Smiley  I'll give that a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008 09:07:09 AM »

AngelTreats: I had the same problem. I ended up pinning my scarf to about 3 towels folded over on the floor of our guest room and then kept the door closed so our 2 wonderful but mischievous cats couldn't get in! Of course by shutting them out, they obviously thought that something exciting was going on inside and tried to get in each time I went in to check in on the scarf Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Getting Kids Excited About Healthy Eating
The Power of Glamour by Virginia Postrel
Wrongful Death Book Trailer
J. Michael Lennon Exposes the Double Life of Norman Mailer
Jonathan Alter: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...