A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celt's Vintage Crochet has closed  (Read 5947 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoxOfRocks
« on: December 01, 2008 11:40:11 PM »

Celtwich's Celt's Vintage Crochet, a free site that had a ton of cool motifs, doilies, laces, and other old patterns, shut down.  I read on Crochetville (I lurk and am not a member) that the site was shut down by its owner b/c people were making items out of the patterns and selling them.  I haven't made anything on the site, but really enjoye perusing through it and mentally filing away things I wanted to make "someday."  What a shame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZellaBella
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008 10:57:55 AM »

*jaw drops* i am really sad to hear that i wanted to try to make some of the afghan patterns
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisaizme
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 09:33:01 PM »

As I understand it, it wasn't that people were selling completed items, but that some less than honest people were taking the freely offered patterns and photos and selling those.

She also stated personal reasons for taking down the site.  So, perhaps, just perhaps in time, it will come back.

It's sad, I've witnessed Crochet on LiveJournal, all the aol homepages, Seafore, Digital Granny and now Celts all disappear in the past few years.

There's an explanation on what's left of her site:
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/

If ANYONE should know how to contact her, the administrators at Crochetville would like to talk to her about some ideas they have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madidolly
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008 04:12:04 AM »

Just knowing some of the impossible to find vintage thread work patterns she had on that site was a big comfort to me. I thought they were safe there so we didn't have to search heaven and earth for them.  I never printed them out because it would of taken reams! I could just kick myself now! Sad day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZellaBella
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008 04:45:04 AM »

Just knowing some of the impossible to find vintage thread work patterns she had on that site was a big comfort to me. I thought they were safe there so we didn't have to search heaven and earth for them.  I never printed them out because it would of taken reams! I could just kick myself now! Sad day!
yea thats what happened to me also. i mean there were so many patterns i never would of thought she'd just poof take it down the thought never crossed my mind. oh well maybe if that person on ebay takes down the patterns from her site and photos (or her whole site whatever they did) she'll put it back up so i am keeping my fingers crossed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisaizme
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008 07:47:58 PM »

um, ya'll do know about the internet archive right?  You can still get the patterns there, just plug in the old url.  Sometimes pictures don't get saved, but text almost always does.

www.archive.org
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 08:31:06 PM »

i will have to remember that....too bad that some crappy person ruined it for all of us
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008 08:50:16 PM »

As I understand it, it wasn't that people were selling completed items, but that some less than honest people were taking the freely offered patterns and photos and selling those.

She also stated personal reasons for taking down the site.  So, perhaps, just perhaps in time, it will come back.

It's sad, I've witnessed Crochet on LiveJournal, all the aol homepages, Seafore, Digital Granny and now Celts all disappear in the past few years.

There's an explanation on what's left of her site:
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/

If ANYONE should know how to contact her, the administrators at Crochetville would like to talk to her about some ideas they have.

Thanks for the correction.  I hope it does come back. 

I'll have to check out the archive site in the mean time.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008 01:40:31 PM »

When I first read this post it didn't dawn on me what website was being discussed, yeah I'm dingy that way.  I went to pull up some of the pretty vintage patterns today to show my mom and was shocked when the site was pulled, then I remembered.  I'm truely sad that some people didn't show her any respect and made her feel that she had to do this, she truely put in alot of hard work, money and effort to help preserve the precious patterns.  I loved looking at all the vintage patterns, I was lucky enough to print out 3-4 of them last July, but that was out of about 100 I wanted to eventually do.

It's good to know that there is still an archive to access some of the information.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009 07:40:23 PM »

ok here is the problem I have with people just giving up like she did.

People out there will do things like this from time to time. Not every single person in the world has scruples. There are a lot of money-grubbers out there and giving up on your projects or quitting sharing your knowledge is not the solution. She should have reported those people on ebay if she really felt that her project was being compromised.

I just find it very naive that many people on here think that no one is ever going to copy then. It happens. How you deal with it says a lot about who you are.

Celt did a great thing. And if she ever reads this I just wanna tell her not to give up.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009 07:42:56 PM by VinceNoir » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pinning Fabric for Sewing Projects
How to Transfer Sewing Pattern Markings
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
How to Use Quilting Cotton in Sewing Projects
How to Use Jersey in Sewing Projects
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...