A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I finally resolved to buy proper kitchen implements  (Read 1248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CantSitStill
« on: December 01, 2008 05:26:32 PM »

OK, I hope someone here can give me some advice, and that I'm posting in the right place. I've saved up a good chunk of money to buy good utensils, cookware, etc.  I don't want to buy some random crap that will cause me to suffer severe buyers remorse.
Anybody have  good recommendations for what should be at the top of my list to set up a inventory of kitchen implements. I'm a decent cook who can follow a recipe, but finally got sick of using crappy tools to put together a nice meal. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Merry Christmas!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in luck: how else can you explain the success of those you don't like?
Ms Jameson
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008 07:00:09 PM »

One word.  Knives.

Go to a department store and try out some Henckles, Wusthof, and Shun knives.  Wusthof Classic is my favorite, but it is a matter of preference.  Feel for a knife that is heavy (the weight will do a lot of work for you) but not uncomfortable and that fits your hand.  A well balanced knife will just feel like an extension of your hand.  Buy forged, not pressed steel.  Forged is more expensive but worth it in quality.  If you have a good cutlery or gourmet store where you live, buy them there and take classes on how to use them.

Have them professionally sharpened when they need it and only wash them by hand.  They will serve you better than any other tool.

You need a 8 inch or more chef's or santoku knife, a 9 inch or more bread knife and a pairing knife.  You can get more, but you don't really need them.

If my house was on fire and I could only grab one thing, it would be my knives, I swear.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008 07:09:43 PM by Ms Jameson » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008 07:12:29 PM »

Oh yes, good knives are a must. I bought this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/R-H-Forschner-Victorinox-8-Inch-Fibrox/dp/B000638D32/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1228187377&sr=8-3 and it works great. Super sharp and it's only $20! You'll need a chef's knife, a serrated knife for tomatoes and bread and a paring knife for fruits and veggies.

- I recommend a heat proof silicon spatula with a wooden or heatproof handle. I actually got mine at the dollar tree! Works great and is heatproof up to like 500-600F or something. They look like this but without smilies: http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US/local/products/detail/517623.jpg

- Wooden spoons and wooden spatulas are great for cooking as well. They look like this: http://www.schillingswoodspecialties.com/images/spatulas.JPG

- 2.5 cup pyrex measuring cup

I don't really shop by brand so I can't really help you there. But I like corningware and pyrex for storage containers that will last forever. I have an excellent manual can opener from farberware (I can't stand electric ones, they always break!)

Are you looking for a list of kitchen essentials or specific brands of tools?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Ms Jameson
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008 07:36:58 PM »

Oh man, I keep wanting to add more.

Pots and pans:

I buy cheap cake pans, cookie sheets and the like for baking.  Some may tell you otherwise but I like the cheap ones better.

For stove top, I have a well seasoned cast iron skillet that I love, and other than that I just look for very heavy pans to provide better heat distribution.  I'd love to have a beautiful set of stainless but I can't justify the expense.  I like T-fal and Nordicware just fine, I don't think you need to spend the money on Calphalon for non-stick.  They won't last forever like cast iron or stainless.  Watch TJ Maxx for good quality at great prices.

A giant 6 quart saute pan is a joy and you will use it all the time.  I think that the standard 3 quart is too small and I only cook for two.

Appliances: 

My kitchen is too small to store a pretty Kitchen Aid mixer, food processor and the like.  I have a rice cooker that I have never used and an electric skillet I have used twice.  Maybe when I get rid of those I'll have a storage place for the coveted mixer.

I do use my slow cooker and my George Foreman pretty often.

Frivolous things that you don't need but that I find myself using often:

A microplane for zesting and a garlic press.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008 07:49:07 PM by Ms Jameson » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa123
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008 08:51:15 PM »

for a mixer. i brought the cooks brand mixer from jcpennys and it works well and is a bit faster than kitchen aid and cheaper, but doesnt come in fun colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008 09:24:46 PM »

I would definitely try to get stainless steel cookware (in addition to the one trusty cast iron pan that's already been mentioned).  Rice cookers are great because you can steam in them, make soup in them, and make all sorts of yummy grains in them...very versatile if you like to eat these sorts of things.  I also think every kitchen should come with one of those flat, square griddle-type pans (that you use on the stovetop).  Mine's by Calphalon.

A good food processor or strong blender.  I make all sorts of things in these (like batters, black-bean burger mix, etc) instead of dirtying a bunch of bowls. 

I would stay away from equipment that only serves one (or very few) purposes.  For example, I don't own an egg slicer because...well, I don't eat eggs, and I realize that it can cut mushrooms, but why?  (Obviously this is personal preference).

What sort of things do you like to cook/eat?  That might help us give you more suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hp_nerd
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008 05:38:52 PM »

Absolutely a cast iron pan.  Yes yes and yes.

Agreed on one great knife

Stay away from teflon, we'll stop using itsoon anyways

A Le Creuset dutch oven is worth the 125ish price tag, i swear. 

I love my kitchenaid, they last for ever and ever and ever.  Like.... ugh, i just love it so much.

Getting really into lovely bake-and-serve, brighly colored casserole dishes--and they aren't that pricey, just lovely to use. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for anything is salt water.  Sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinesen

Personal Swap?

My Wist.
b16aGirl
If you see me wandering the streets staring at the sky, remind me that clouds aren't quilted.

I got nuthin.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008 06:58:34 PM »

Personally, I heart All-Clad pots & pans (stainless steel is truly the way to go), Le Creuset casserole dishes, Wusthof knives and good sturdy cast iron skillets. If you decide to only really splurge in one area, good knives are (as was already said) indispensable. Life is SO much easier with them. Cast iron skillets are amazing because they are so versatile and simple to take care of (there's an entire thread in here about them you can check out for more info).

Hurray for upgrading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a beautiful day!
GreenAndLeafy
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008 01:07:53 AM »

Saving up and buying the best is very smart. It'll probably work out more economical because you're less likely to have to replace it over the years.

I have a Le Creuset, which is excellent and well worth the money spent.  It's not so compatible with the electric stovetop at my home though Sad (I rent, so i have no choice) but you can use it in the oven as well as the stove so that's a bonus.

I also bought one Wusthof knife because a whole set was too much but one is better than none!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms Jameson
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008 02:57:53 PM »

I just bought these for my dad and now I wish I had a set too!  They are very sturdy but lightweight, pretty, AND they have rubber on the bottom to keep them from sliding around.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku9926171/index.cfm?pkey=cmixing-bowls&ckey=mixing-bowls
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jessica Burkhart Talks About Take the Reins
The Monstrumologist Book Trailer
A Loving Tribute to E. Lynn Harris
Richard Doetsch Talks About The 13th Hour
House Rules Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...