A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Saying goodby to an old friend  (Read 501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frazz911
« on: November 24, 2008 06:30:25 AM »

Well it seems that something is wrong with one of the most important items in my craft room.

My sewing machine started acting up the other day.  The top thread is snagging on something in the bobbin compartment.  Not good when you want strong seams on your items.

Out came the book to look over different things that may be causing this.

Clean out any fuzz and loose thread…check

Oil needed areas…check

Tension…check

Still no luck.  From what we can see it looks like a bent needle may have done some damage to some parts in the bobbin compartment.

I have been looking at, or should I say drooling over new machines.  I have known for a while I was asking a bit more of my machine then it could do day after day.

So now the choice.  Do I fix mine now and use it a bit more?  I am planing on giving it to one of my girls so it has to be serviced.  Or do I wait to fix it and take the jump into one of the new units on the market?  And if so what one to get???

I am looking at a couple.

I know I want one that has embroidery with it.  One that I will let me add designs from the web and other programs.  I would perfer that it had direct hook up to the computer but would look at others.

So here is my question.  Do you have a machine you just love?  Tell me about it.  I would love some feedback from others that use their machines on an almost daily basis.

I am looking at about the 400 to 600 price range.

I have found one from Brother and one from Singer that seem to be what I am looking for.

I know Brother has a good warranty as my current machine is one.  I however don't know as much about Singer outside of the name.

Any input would be great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom2blu
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008 08:19:44 AM »

A VERY similair thing happened to me recently (only it wasn't a broken needle, but actually a terrible "repair"man that destroyed my old love) and I got a new one. I actually got one that sounds exactly like what you're looking for. I got the Brother Innovis 900-d (possibly the exact one you're looking at) it is a embroidery sewing combo and is $650ish.

I frickin LOVE it!!! seriously to much for words. If it is in fact the one youa re looking at go for it! you won't regret it. sometimes I literally hug her (named her Ethel)

Any specific questions just ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008 08:32:42 AM »

We've all been there.  Here's a couple of links that will help you decide whether to invest in that new machine or fix the old friend. 

http://reviews.ebay.com/HOW-TO-FIX-YOUR-SEWING-MACHINE-IN-5-EASY-STEPS_W0QQugidZ10000000004629782

http://reviews.ebay.com/START-YOUR-OWN-BUSINESS-FIX-SEWING-MACHINES-PART-1_W0QQugidZ10000000009100194

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
frazz911
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008 07:09:48 AM »

Thanks for the links and the info.  I am going to try somethings today.  Still waiting for my money before I can buy anything.

Hope something works.  Getting ready to buy an old one for a few bucks just to do a strait stitch...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix High-End Designers with Great Vintage Finds
How to Go from a Day to Night Look in 60 Seconds
Top 3 Ways to Wear Camel
The Debutante Ball 2013: Party at the Automobile Club in Paris
Save or Spend: Holiday Edition Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...