A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Hop Skip" Lavender and Pink Doll Quilt  (Read 3642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meeshbaze
« on: December 01, 2008 03:59:59 PM »

This doll quilt is a Christmas present for my niece (who is almost two years old).  It is inspired by Denyse Schmidt's "Hop Skip and a Jump" design and features 1930's reproduction cotton fabrics in various shades of lavender and pink to match her doll stroller.  It was improvisationally cut, machine-pieced and free-motion quilted with lavender thread.  The backing fabric features a Little Bo Peep print.

The quilt measures about 22" square:

Detail of binding, backing and piecing:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008 04:14:25 PM by meeshbaze » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"carry on!  make it work!"
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008 08:08:38 PM »

It is very sweet. When she out grows dolls it 10 or 12 years she can hang it on the wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwiztidBlood
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008 08:10:09 PM »

absolutly beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
turtlelove
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008 05:44:44 AM »

wow your attention to detail is AMAZING! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terri0515
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008 10:10:01 AM »

WOW! That's so pretty! I saw almost the same thing in a quilting magazine recently and I tried to make it. I enlarged the templates but when I tried to use them on freezer paper, they didn't "fit" together. I notice that your shapes are all different sizes. Was that difficult to do? Do you paper piece?

Terri
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meeshbaze
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008 10:28:28 AM »

Thank you for your comments!  Terri, I did not paper piece.  As I've studied Denyse Schmidt's book (and other modern-style quilt designs) I've been encouraged to spontaneously cut and sew as I felt that most of the designs were initially created in that spirit and with that method (or lack thereof).   Wink  Plus, it looks a lot more time consuming to cut templates!  What I did:

1.  Decided on the finished size (approximately) and then came up with a measurement for three strips of equal width.

2.  From there, I began cutting.  I would cut and sew each piece individually until the strip was the desired length.

3.  More on cutting: 

a.  to make it easier, I cut the fabric, on the grain, to the approximate width of the strip.  (I added a little extra width, like a half inch, for truing up the strip once pieced).

b.  I would lay the strip in progress with the working edge over the strip I was going to cut from next, both right sides up.  I then made a straight cut using my ruler and rotary cutter at an angle (randomly askew).  In this way, the angle matched up perfectly and once sewn, the strip was straight.

3.  Once two strips were done I laid them out and began piecing the middle strip with an eye on keeping the fabrics random.

4.  I joined the three strips together to complete the quilt top.

5.  In the spirit of using all my fabric, I pieced the bias binding from what was left, again in a random way.

It's really not hard, but a little tricky to explain without diagrams.  If you have any other questions please let me know!  Thanks again!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

terri0515
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 08:33:30 AM »

Meeshbaze,

Thanks to all that chemotherapy, it took me a while to fully understand exactly what you meant but I read your instructions over & over and I think I may understand how you accomplished such a great project!

I really don't mind spending the extra time doing the paper piecing (as a cancer survivor who is very disabled, all I have is "time" LOL) but there was one time when I was trying to do a tumbling block quilt and I used freezer paper to paper piece.

I worked so hard on that darn thing but I tried a little too hard....None of the freezer paper could be removed from the back of the fabric! It was fraying like mad and now I have about 180 "diamonds" that I had to glue the seam allowances up on because I could not sew threw the fabric and the freezer paper. It was just too thick!

There goes my paper piecing disaster!

Anyway, Thanks so much for the explanation. I shall give it a try!

Terri
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meeshbaze
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008 08:00:15 PM »

Terri, in re-reading my instructions I don't think your chemo had much to do with the clarity of them!  It is wonderful that you are spending energy on creating things while you are also spending your precious energy on healing yourself.  And I have had many crafting disasters, too, and commiserate with your freezer paper episode.  Egads.  I probably would have given up! 

To provide a little more detail to my instructions:  I should have called the "strips"..."columns" instead.  So if you look at my quilt, you'll see three columns made up of randomly cut and sewn strips.  Each column was a determined width; so each strip (making up the columns) was that determined width but randomly cut lengthwise at an angle.

I constructed each column separately, then joined the three columns to complete the top.

Small projects like this doll quilt, or maybe even coasters, are great ways to try spontaneous (sans template) piecing.  Have fun and post what you do so I can see it!   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amelie
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008 03:56:33 PM »

Looks beautiful! I wish I could get one for me!  Wink

I particularly love the shapes and how the dark purple sections really *pop*.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
teargardenparty
The Hostess of the Teargarden Party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008 04:05:51 PM »

that is so sweet looking. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Upcycled Gift Wrap
Handmade Portraits: Yokoo
How to Crochet with Front and Back Posts
How to Make a Pom Pom Bow with Wired Ribbon
How to Make a Duct Tape Poinsettia
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...