A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
364 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Snuggie - part blanket, part robe  (Read 33202 times)
Tags for this thread: robe , snuggie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

isadora12000
« on: December 01, 2008 02:06:15 PM »

Have you seen the Snuggie on tv? It's part blanket, part robe, and all fleecey goodness for $20 + $8 shipping. Crazy! Yes, it's a little silly to have another blanket so you can have your arms warm and free, but my Grandma wanted one for christmas and I just couldn't see spending that much on something I new I could make for much less. It ended up being super easy to make, took me less than an hour to make 2 of them, also the cost came in at about $9 each. 

I found a pattern at http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingroom/images/2006projects/thesnuglet.pdf

For Grandma:

For my Stepmom:

The back, I guess they assume you will always be sitting or laying down in the Snuggie since the back is open, otherwise your backside is still going to be cold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Consider what ideas are lost by censorship.
dancechica
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008 02:17:16 PM »

Oh my gosh... that is too cute!  Actually I think its a great idea lol.  How much fleece did you use for each one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008 02:18:17 PM »

Great way to work your craftiness into Christmas! My DD wants one of these too, thanks for the link.

P.S. I just bought the same blue fleece at Joann's on Friday morning - crazy there then!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isadora12000
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008 02:40:06 PM »

I used 3 yards for each.

You are welcome for the link. I got a good laugh from the picture on the directions, that person looks so happy to be in their snuggie and reading  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

limegreenjelly

Lesson One Learnt: Dont Sew Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008 02:46:19 PM »

those look amazingly warm ^^ i love these designs
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justaddcats
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008 07:06:11 PM »

You have answered my Christmas-present-making woes! I know somebody who is going to get one of these (hopefully in the tackiest print fleece I can find) just for mocking the Snuggie! Then I'll make one for me in something pretty and cuddly Smiley Great job on yours & thanks for the link!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008 08:16:50 PM »

OMG! I totally love it (I don't have tv... so I've never seem them before) I'm so making my mom one for christmas! She's always cold, so this is perfect Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Which voice in your head should you keep alive?
isadora12000
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008 05:48:27 AM »

they are so easy to make... I'm thinking of making more for the people i'm not sure what else to get.

enjoy all the sunggiely goodness!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dogswife
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008 07:04:32 AM »

I made 20 or so of these last year for Christmas presents. They went over quite well. They are fast and easy to make. I made my 2 grandsons 9 and 10 each one and only used 2 yrds of fleece. We even got creative and made the sleeves different colors to make them easier to find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live well, laugh often, love much
Megzy818
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happily married to my best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008 08:29:52 AM »

oh that looks so compfy i want one! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud ARMY brat and NAVY Wife!!! 08/05/08
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1414000172&ref=profile
Hippos are my favorite Smiley
multicrafty
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008 08:10:01 AM »

Those looks awesome!

I just saw the tv ad for those the other night and asked my husband if it was wrong that I wanted one of those for myself.  They do look comfy cozy.  Thanks for the link as well, I think I'm going to have to make myself one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

green_tea_lover
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008 11:07:17 AM »

i saw that commercial and I'd been thinking of some sort of blanket robe and now you've made one. I know it's meant to be. I need one in my life or to make one for my older brother :PYou did a great job on them :]

Also, they had two for 20 + something else with no shipping Shocked Shocked XD i was like call now mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isadora12000
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008 04:03:17 PM »

Thanks Everyone!

They are very comfy, I had to give one a test drive and keep it away from the cat hair...  Undecided  but it was very warm and comfy. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008 08:16:48 PM »

Great Job! They will sure love them. I saw the commercials and think the same thing about making them myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caaron3
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008 06:02:38 PM »

thats awesome! I saw those on t.v. and thought they were great, but I wasn't about to spend that much money on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
independentlulu
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008 10:40:38 AM »

My 8 year old wants a snuggie sooooooo bad!  Maybe I'll have to make him one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juaniece
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008 04:31:23 AM »

Part of me says this is just plain dumb, Why, I could wear a robe backwards!  But then the other, lounging, part of me says that this would be helpful when hubby turns the thermostat down below 70!  Thanks for the link, nonetheless!

I was thinking a zipper in the bottom to cover the feet might be helpful.

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystico_tala
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008 06:23:45 AM »

Aren't these amazing!  I just made one for each of my parents.  They are so easy to make!  I love the fabric you used on that first one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
isadora12000
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008 12:18:27 PM »

For those of you crafters out there that have made sunggies too - you should post some pics! I'd like to see how yours came out.

When I was looking for links to make on I did find somewhere one that did close the bottom for feet.. I can't remember if it was a zipper or something like a pocket that you tucked your feet into.. I'm sure if you search around you can find it.

Thanks again all for looking and commenting!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizabethn
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008 05:38:38 PM »

sweet!! fab idea. i don't know why i didn't think of making my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizabethsdailyfashion.blogspot.com
elizabethnormand.etsy.com
wists.com/elizabethn
crystalpeace
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008 02:06:08 PM »

i just saw this on tv as well and wanted to get one but i HATED the color choices they had i mean, come on blue, burgundy, and aqua. i know i wouldnt want to be seen wearing aqua and i didnt like the shade of the blue. and i just dont look right in burgundy all the time.  now i can find a print at joanns i like and make this soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlexisMomOf3
Canadian Craftin' Momma

Sew Sew Sew!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008 08:23:28 PM »

I have to make one of these for my husband he has been wanting one of these for a few weeks now since seeing the commercial. Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mother to 4 beautiful crazy children that loves to sew, make bows and photography.

www.thecanadiancrafters.com
Ninelivesleft
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008 06:54:10 PM »

You know, I work at a local craft store and a woman was talking about how she wanted to make one of these. She ended up not doing anything because she thought they would be complicated (It's a robe backwards, how can it be that complicated?) and she'd be lost without a pattern. Now I know where to point them to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isadora12000
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008 09:41:45 AM »

yep, tell them it is simple: 1 cut for the arm hole, 1 cut for the sleeves, stitch the sleeves in the holes and hem the cuffs if you like or hem the bottom if needed. simple simple, glad I can help.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loralyn
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008 10:29:02 AM »

Those look waaay better than the ones on tv! You did a great job! Thanks for posting the link to a pattern, my 6yo (who's a sucker for infomercials, too) wants one so bad! Maybe I'll have time to whip one up Grin

Loral
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love everything vintage and
I love to make aprons, totes and kitschy kitchen things!
Practically Vintage, my Etsy store
My Vintage Charm blog
wiccanmama1976
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008 08:26:50 PM »

I think this is a wonderful Item but I also don't like the choices of colors offered. I also don't like the fact that there are none with patterns on the fabric. I intend to find something with a pattern that I like and use the pattern you directed us to to make this item. Ty again.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008 08:40:26 PM by wiccanmama1976 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WiccanTinkerbellNut
Tiel
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008 12:46:50 AM »

part of me says that this would be helpful when hubby turns the thermostat down below 70!  Thanks for the link, nonetheless!

I've seen the commercial and was tempted to buy them.  My husband loves the thermostat at 65 degrees.  I sit around in thermal underware, socks, sweat pants and sweat shirt year around.  At times I shake from the cold.

I was waiting to see if anyone would figure out how to make them.  I sooooo want one right now.  I'm going to go through the fabric tote and find some fleece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
angrykittymeowmeow
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008 01:03:27 AM »

Those look so snuggly.  Every time I see the commercial I think "Ok, I can make that, it looks like an oversized robe backwards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY COMPUTER IS OFFICIALLY DEAD!  I WILL BE OFF CRAFTSTER UNTIL LATE FEB, EARLY MARCH WHEN I BUY ANOTHER.
typhjones
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009 01:28:55 PM »

This is great...I know it was posted a while ago.  Thanks for the link my husband is really wanting one of those, now  I can make with his fav team on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isadora12000
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009 01:42:52 PM »

no problem! they were a big hit on christmas morning... I even jot a request for a few more!  Grin hope everyone else has enjoyed their snuggies as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

casey_k37

*Live, Laugh, Love*

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009 07:35:47 AM »

As soon as I saw the ad on TV I wanted one!  Then I saw your post and I decided to make my own.  I found some cheap fleece and it turned out pretty good!  Thanks for the inspiration! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onycho
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009 04:05:27 PM »

The most kick ass monk robes...er, snuggle suit ever!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katyusha
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009 08:25:51 PM »

Isadora,

Thanks so much for sharing this. Great pattern for your grandma--makes me think of a graceful mermaid.

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isadora12000
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009 06:57:53 AM »

You are welcome! And thank you  Smiley a graceful mermaid, I will have to tell her that. I thought it was very pretty myself. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bopeep

Love Being Granny !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009 08:20:15 PM »

I love that.
Great job.
Thanks for the link !!!
bopeep
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewjayded
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009 06:46:04 PM »

I've been wanting to make a few of these.  I bought too much fleece (was going to make fleece sleep pants for Christmas presents and ran out of time) so I thought I'd make a snuggie or two.  Thanks for the pattern link, yours look great! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pcates
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009 06:02:00 PM »

I am looking for a pattern for something similar to the snuggie.....
My wife has an old robe that looks like a blanket, but zips in the front, and has foot holes in the bottom, so you can walk around and not have the blanket fall off. It looks a little like a toddler blanket sleeper.

Any ideas??

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Curly Hairstyles with Bouncy Curls
How to Create Curly Updos for Long Hair for Prom
How to Create Prom Updo Hairstyles
How to Do a Messy Ponytail
How to Look Younger
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...