A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,312
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitty's "bad penny" yarn subs?  (Read 1119 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2005 04:22:10 PM »

I've been plotting about yarn projects lately, as soon as I can get my new needles on break, and have spotted "bad penny" as a really cute short sleeve sweater for size 8 needles.  http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTbadpenny.html

anyway, the yarn that she used is german, and the only sites I can find about it are in german (yes, I took it for four years, but I'm not that good   Wink).  does anyone know of any good subs?  I think it's worsted weight judging by the gauge, but I'm not sure.

it needs to be something that's cheap (really cheap) and that I can get at jo ann's (or maybe walmart *shudder*).  I was thinking of lion brand cotton ease but have never actually seen it in a store before...  do they have it at walmart?  any other suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilybrat
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005 07:38:52 PM »

I don't know about yarn substitutions, but at the bottom of the pattern her email is listed.  She also has a website there with a message board...Maybe you could contact her and ask her?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
verte27
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005 03:28:02 PM »

Kategirl, did you get in touch with the patterns author? I'd like to make this pattern too, but I'm not sure the yarn I have will work.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005 03:48:56 PM »

the way this pattern is written, you could basically substitute any yarn in any weight you wanted. if you look at the author's website, she discusses how to do a top-down raglan. you can start by casting on however many stitches you need to make the neckline the size you want. make whatever kind of neckband you want, and then increase before and after the markers every other row, same as the pattern for bad penny is written. just go based on size as opposed to a pattern. this is explained in more detail on her website at http://glampyreknits.tripod.com/glampyrephotos/id44.html . (don't be alarmed that it says it is for a cardigan - it starts as a pulloever and she cardiganizes at the end by steeking.)

i was considering making it on lion brand cotton ease, but i've never used it before. anybody that's used it before have any feedback on it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005 06:35:54 PM »

I've used Cotton-ease to make a halter type, and I liked it. The yarn is fairly soft, too.  Of course shortly after I discovered how much I liked it, it disappeared from local stores. Bah.
I've been wanting to make Bad Penny for a long time. I've thought about using Lion Brand Microspun. It's super soft & not too expensive.
What were you planning to use for the neckline and ribbing? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005 07:12:32 PM »

I've used Cotton-ease to make a halter type, and I liked it. The yarn is fairly soft, too.  Of course shortly after I discovered how much I liked it, it disappeared from local stores. Bah.
I've been wanting to make Bad Penny for a long time. I've thought about using Lion Brand Microspun. It's super soft & not too expensive.
What were you planning to use for the neckline and ribbing? 

you can order it (cotton-ease, that is) from joann's online. i don't think i've seen the microspun - is it available in craft stores? what fiber is it made of?

i would probably do the neckband and ribbing in the same yarn. maybe just a different color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
verte27
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005 09:56:57 AM »

kabili, thanks for the research. I may have to give this project some more thought. It sounds like more work than I want to do for my first sweater. But on the other hand I really like the style....

I've used cotton-ease to make a tank. It was nice to work with and washed up great afterwards. The color I used was black, and I noticed when I washed it it ran a lot. So keep that in mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rhubarb-Almond Cake Recipe for Easter
Quick Cooks: Coconut Macaroons
How to Make Your Own Marzipan Fruit
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Keep Calm And Bake: Crème Egg Cheesecake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...