A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Awesome and only $5! Felt dress-up board: Mermaids, ahoy! img heavy  (Read 17491 times)
Tags for this thread: mermaid , felt , toy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2008 12:50:08 PM »

So I have a little boy to craft for this year; he's a special kid...his favourite colour is rainbow, and his favourite thing is mermaids. My partner and I were talking about how there aren't enough mermaid things out there, especially for little boys...so I came up with this idea, when I remembered having a felt doll set as a child.Here's the finished product:

He can change the two mermaid's tails, bikini tops, and hair; he has 5 or 6 choices for each, all glittered and decorated for his enjoyment. Also, note all the fishy friends the mermaids have to play with, which also can be moved about.

What's really great is that the felt just sticks to itself! Easy to play with, easy to make new extra pieces!

Just the mermaids, without their gear.

The board: just felt glued onto foam core, then decorated a bit. Also, make pockets to keep all the bits in.

A mermaid close up for ya.

And the best part: I spent about $5.00 on felt, and used sequins and puffy paint that I already had laying around the house...so the whole gift only cost me about $5.00! Without a doubt, this will be the fave gift this year.

Don't forget to vote!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008 12:50:49 PM by Craft The World » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always open to personal swaps...I'm always on the lookout for new bags, shawls, punk/steampunk accessories, Altoids tins, etc. As a professional illustrator/fine artist, I can offer something crafty, or something more artsy. Let's talk!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008 12:55:03 PM »

This is such a great idea and could be changed to all kinds of themes for different kids!
I love it! I was wondering did you use the regular craft felt that comes in sheets or did you use wool felt that you have to have cut by the yard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008 12:57:04 PM »

What a fantastic idea!  I just bought a few felt sets for my daughter to play with, and (after my current swaps are done) am going to have to build a felt board for her.  I was planning on making my own felt dolls, but I never would have thought of mermaids!  Great job! 

(Love the funky hair and cloths too!  You've got a lucky little boy!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008 12:58:56 PM »

Trying to get one of these done at our house before Christmas. I love that you did mermaids, I never thought to do that. I was trying to do farm animals and shapes (build houses and such with).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008 01:12:06 PM »

Adorable! I would have loved one of these as a kid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008 03:32:36 PM »

This is so cute. Have you thought of adding a mereboy to it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeahLen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008 11:06:19 PM »

Very Cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMOM13
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008 06:11:20 AM »

Very original concept and think it turned out great.  Did you have to use a special type of felt to get it to stick to itself?

I have to agree with the above poster who suggested maybe also making a Merboy or Merman. 

Maybe even have a giant shark as the nemesis for the board (just recall my son having a Barbie and he enjoyed sticking her legs in the dinosaur's mouth and have the G.I. Joe come and rescue her).

I guess we all want to play with the felt board too and it is coming out in our suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008 06:45:56 AM »

Very original concept and think it turned out great.  Did you have to use a special type of felt to get it to stick to itself?

I have to agree with the above poster who suggested maybe also making a Merboy or Merman. 

Maybe even have a giant shark as the nemesis for the board (just recall my son having a Barbie and he enjoyed sticking her legs in the dinosaur's mouth and have the G.I. Joe come and rescue her).

I guess we all want to play with the felt board too and it is coming out in our suggestions!

The felt: I used the usual felt that comes in sheets at the craft store; for the background, my craft store had super-large sheets of the usual stuff, that's a little thicker and stiffer than the regular smaller squares. If you wanted a board that could roll up, just don't mount it on the foam core.

The merman idea: this particular little boy has shown absolutely NO interest in anything "boyish" at all...not even male dolls. He is obsessed with mermaids and fairies, and wants to be one; I thought about how I could make a merboy that would let him know it's totally cool that he's a little boy who likes mermaids, but I didn't want to send him the message that "THIS is a boy, and THIS is a girl"; also, this way he can't freak out his mom (my friend), who might get worried when he would, inevitably, put the bikini top and big hair on the merMAN as well as the merMAID. Phew! So much thinking just to make a simple toy!

The ONLY thing that would have made him happier than the mermaids would be if I had created wings and made them mer-fairies (a word he came up with himself when we gave him a mermaid from the dollar store that strangely enough had wings). Who knows, maybe I'll make some wings, yet. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always open to personal swaps...I'm always on the lookout for new bags, shawls, punk/steampunk accessories, Altoids tins, etc. As a professional illustrator/fine artist, I can offer something crafty, or something more artsy. Let's talk!
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008 07:04:15 AM »

This is adorable!  I absolutely loved felt boards when I was a kid.  I also like that you haven't gendered the toy.  I'm sure he's going to love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Nightmare on Elm Street Glove
How to Make a Mosaic
How to Make a Native American Flute
How to Make a Mandala
How to Make a Magazine Holder Out of a Cereal Box
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...