A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Awesome and only $5! Felt dress-up board: Mermaids, ahoy! img heavy  (Read 18152 times)
Tags for this thread: mermaid , felt , toy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2008 12:50:08 PM »

So I have a little boy to craft for this year; he's a special kid...his favourite colour is rainbow, and his favourite thing is mermaids. My partner and I were talking about how there aren't enough mermaid things out there, especially for little boys...so I came up with this idea, when I remembered having a felt doll set as a child.Here's the finished product:

He can change the two mermaid's tails, bikini tops, and hair; he has 5 or 6 choices for each, all glittered and decorated for his enjoyment. Also, note all the fishy friends the mermaids have to play with, which also can be moved about.

What's really great is that the felt just sticks to itself! Easy to play with, easy to make new extra pieces!

Just the mermaids, without their gear.

The board: just felt glued onto foam core, then decorated a bit. Also, make pockets to keep all the bits in.

A mermaid close up for ya.

And the best part: I spent about $5.00 on felt, and used sequins and puffy paint that I already had laying around the house...so the whole gift only cost me about $5.00! Without a doubt, this will be the fave gift this year.

Don't forget to vote!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008 12:50:49 PM by Craft The World » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always open to personal swaps...I'm always on the lookout for new bags, shawls, punk/steampunk accessories, Altoids tins, etc. As a professional illustrator/fine artist, I can offer something crafty, or something more artsy. Let's talk!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008 12:55:03 PM »

This is such a great idea and could be changed to all kinds of themes for different kids!
I love it! I was wondering did you use the regular craft felt that comes in sheets or did you use wool felt that you have to have cut by the yard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008 12:57:04 PM »

What a fantastic idea!  I just bought a few felt sets for my daughter to play with, and (after my current swaps are done) am going to have to build a felt board for her.  I was planning on making my own felt dolls, but I never would have thought of mermaids!  Great job! 

(Love the funky hair and cloths too!  You've got a lucky little boy!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008 12:58:56 PM »

Trying to get one of these done at our house before Christmas. I love that you did mermaids, I never thought to do that. I was trying to do farm animals and shapes (build houses and such with).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008 01:12:06 PM »

Adorable! I would have loved one of these as a kid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008 03:32:36 PM »

This is so cute. Have you thought of adding a mereboy to it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeahLen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008 11:06:19 PM »

Very Cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMOM13
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008 06:11:20 AM »

Very original concept and think it turned out great.  Did you have to use a special type of felt to get it to stick to itself?

I have to agree with the above poster who suggested maybe also making a Merboy or Merman. 

Maybe even have a giant shark as the nemesis for the board (just recall my son having a Barbie and he enjoyed sticking her legs in the dinosaur's mouth and have the G.I. Joe come and rescue her).

I guess we all want to play with the felt board too and it is coming out in our suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008 06:45:56 AM »

Very original concept and think it turned out great.  Did you have to use a special type of felt to get it to stick to itself?

I have to agree with the above poster who suggested maybe also making a Merboy or Merman. 

Maybe even have a giant shark as the nemesis for the board (just recall my son having a Barbie and he enjoyed sticking her legs in the dinosaur's mouth and have the G.I. Joe come and rescue her).

I guess we all want to play with the felt board too and it is coming out in our suggestions!

The felt: I used the usual felt that comes in sheets at the craft store; for the background, my craft store had super-large sheets of the usual stuff, that's a little thicker and stiffer than the regular smaller squares. If you wanted a board that could roll up, just don't mount it on the foam core.

The merman idea: this particular little boy has shown absolutely NO interest in anything "boyish" at all...not even male dolls. He is obsessed with mermaids and fairies, and wants to be one; I thought about how I could make a merboy that would let him know it's totally cool that he's a little boy who likes mermaids, but I didn't want to send him the message that "THIS is a boy, and THIS is a girl"; also, this way he can't freak out his mom (my friend), who might get worried when he would, inevitably, put the bikini top and big hair on the merMAN as well as the merMAID. Phew! So much thinking just to make a simple toy!

The ONLY thing that would have made him happier than the mermaids would be if I had created wings and made them mer-fairies (a word he came up with himself when we gave him a mermaid from the dollar store that strangely enough had wings). Who knows, maybe I'll make some wings, yet. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always open to personal swaps...I'm always on the lookout for new bags, shawls, punk/steampunk accessories, Altoids tins, etc. As a professional illustrator/fine artist, I can offer something crafty, or something more artsy. Let's talk!
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008 07:04:15 AM »

This is adorable!  I absolutely loved felt boards when I was a kid.  I also like that you haven't gendered the toy.  I'm sure he's going to love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008 07:48:16 AM »

Incredible and cute! Not to mention a good child idea that is not technology oriented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008 11:10:19 AM »

Incredible and cute! Not to mention a good child idea that is not technology oriented!

TELL me about it! So many toys today take all the imagination work out of it! I refuse to buy noise-making, self-moving toys, unless it's an RC racecar.

And for the earlier question about felt: I had some wool felt from the fabric store, but I found it was more likely to fray on the edges, and is softer; so I don't know how well it would stick to other felt, and I don't know how the edges would hold up (and I'm not the type to hem all the edges of such finicky things like bikini tops!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008 12:41:58 PM »

brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008 12:46:48 PM »

Fantastic idea, I love it!  I may have to tackle this for my daughter's birthday.  (We have all the Christmas gifts done.)  she's totally obsessed with mermaids right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Destined To Fail
Craftster Duo!

2 heads are better than 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008 01:13:06 PM »

What a great idea...Awesome job!!! Love all their fab looks!

The ONLY thing that would have made him happier than the mermaids would be if I had created wings and made them mer-fairies (a word he came up with himself when we gave him a mermaid from the dollar store that strangely enough had wings).

Mer-fairies!!! Cheesy Cheesy Makes us think of an episode of Winx Club. Some mer-creatures came above water to have a chat...just when you thought they were going to dive back under, they strangely fluttered away into the sky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

W
             WWWWW
    W      WWWWW        W
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
   WWW    WWW    WWW
     WWW  WWW  WWW
           WWWWWWW
      WWWW  |  WWWW
                      |
                      |
witwhitherwilt
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008 03:08:54 PM »

Just gorgeous! What a great alternative to paper dolls.

And kudos to you, too, for encouraging him in what he loves rather than trying to steer him towards traditional "boy" stuff. I suspect as this kid grows up, he'll really appreciate having a supportive adult friend like you in his life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008 03:50:24 PM »

So cool! I have to make one for my daughter, now. And the idea of "rolling up" a felt mat is good, too -- I'm always trying to think of travel-worthy toys. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008 08:28:29 AM »

Just thought I'd add a note:

I ended up taking the pockets off the front of the board; I realized that his tiny hands may find it difficult to reach in and out of the bags without losing tiny bits. So I bought a box with a clasp at a dollar store, and I'll use the pockets for something else.

Another tip: use a smooth fabric if you make pockets: you don't want the bikini bits and whatnot to appear to be "lost" because they've clung to the inside of the bags. If I did pockets again, I'd use satin with the shiny side-in, so everything would slide out easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008 10:08:42 AM »

Good point about the pockets. How about just lining the little bits up along the sides or make a felt book to put them in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008 07:01:13 PM »

Good point about the pockets. How about just lining the little bits up along the sides or make a felt book to put them in?

I thought about the sides thing, but then I'd need to get felt to make a border, and NO ONE should be entering a craft store at this time of year--you're likely to lose an eye! But I *love* the felt book idea! This gift is really, really adaptable: to different themes, different layouts, etc etc etc, all while staying in that low, low price range. Which is why I really hope everyone remembers to vote for it!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blithe314
Messy Haired Mommy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008 09:22:51 PM »

Felt boards are the best!  So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nuno930
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008 12:08:22 PM »

Crap.  Now I am compelled to make this for DD.  Thanks  Angry

Grin  It is fabulous!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trickygirlb
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008 02:20:17 PM »

Too Cool! What a great idea and wonderfully executed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008 02:39:11 PM »

Crap.  Now I am compelled to make this for DD.  Thanks  Angry

Grin  It is fabulous!! 

What is "DD"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008 04:41:44 PM »

DD the first initial is Dear of Darn depending on tone. THe 2nd one in this case D is daughter, DS dear son, etc.

This is a great idea. I never seen these before. I'm thinking maybe a car themed one for my son.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
pinkmichk
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008 03:20:24 AM »

this is fab
second one of these i have seen on craftster in last couple of days reminds me so much of the fuzy felts i had when little am gonna have a go for my daughter
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am always up for personal swaps -send me a message

pinterest - http://pinterest.com/shellfullerton/
withoutAclue

Pippilotta in a jampot...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008 04:01:38 PM »

Adorrrrable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelie
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008 04:26:08 PM »

It's simply too fantastic that he loves mermaids-- rock on! This is great, and I'm sure he'll love it. When I worked in a kindergarten classroom, the kids were positively *addicted* to the felt boards! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
Uniqueworn
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008 03:05:16 PM »

That is super great...I want pink and black polka dot hair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
ladyglove
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008 08:09:27 PM »

That is soooooooooooooo fabulous and thoughtful. You just made it okay to be different. Look out Mattel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feywalker
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008 02:28:11 PM »

WoW!  This to too cool!  I'm going to have to make my DD one with princesses and mermaids.  So voted for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make that...
Zena

I craft therefore I am

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008 01:27:12 PM »

What a girlie gift. Amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zena, Princess of craft
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008 02:51:36 PM »

UPDATE:

My little fella friend received his mermaids for Christmas; despite numerous other, more "flashy" gifts, he has adopted his mermaid board as his most favourite toy and played with it non-stop.

I may not have won the craft challenge, but I won this little guy's heart.

I'm going to make more next year for the other little people I know! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksea
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009 10:05:45 AM »

Darling felt board and I'm even more delighted by your celebration of exactly who this little boy is!! This rocks for sure.

I'm making a felt board for this Christmas, but so far I just have geometric shapes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shannonkay
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009 10:59:09 AM »

Very cute! Kind of like a flannelgraph.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet
How to Make Plant Markers Out of Spoons
Capri Style Table Decoration
How to Dress Your Table with Bread and Nuts
Center of the Table Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...