A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I painted a bird - first time with watercolour. Please give me some advice.  (Read 801 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angeltreats
« on: December 01, 2008 09:15:52 AM »

I'm almost embarrassed to post this here, as this board is so full of talented people!

Further to this thread yesterday, I had a go with my new paints to see what I could come up with.  I did a quick pencil doodle and basically just coloured it in with paints.  This is my 'painting' (it's on a bit of scrap paper I'd been scribbling on to blunt my pencil a bit as I didn't even want to waste good paper on it!)  The smudgey bit under the bird's tail is a dirty fingerprint... oops.

The image I copied is here:

http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/environment/gallery/2008/feb/12/wildlife1/GD6225325@Coal-Tit-Jill-Pak-7138.jpg

I like these little birds, they're called coal tits and there are lots of them in my parents' garden Smiley

As I said I have never used watercolour at all before, not since I was about eight anyway, and I don't really even know anything about drawing.  I would love if anyone could give me any advice or tips.  I would really love to be even half-decent at watercolour painting, it just appeals to me so much.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 01:24:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

marabelle

There's just something about Mary...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008 09:29:38 AM »

I know for a fact I couldn't paint anything near as cute even with a paint-by-number. I love it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Which way's north?
antigone
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008 02:37:09 AM »

That is really, really good. I just read your other thread and wanted to say something kind and encourage you to just practice - turns out you can already do it. So just do it. Paint, paint, paint!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UnRuli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008 04:14:21 AM »

I think you did a good job!  With watercolor you just paint from light to dark in layers.  Look closely at what you're painting and you will see shapes of color.  For example, the yellowish/reddish belly of the bird is one large shape but within it are smaller shapes of different color (lighter toward the back, grayish toward the underbelly, a little redder under the wing).  Start with the big shapes and paint those in lightly, then go back in and layer on the smaller shapes getting more and more specific.  Once you're able to see the shapes there isn't anything that you can't paint!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeltreats
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008 04:30:48 AM »

Thank you so much for your comments! 

Unruli, that's really helpful, thank you.  So does that mean I can layer light colours on top of dark colours?  Or if  say there is a white bit in the middle of a grey wing, should I try and leave a white space while painting the grey and then fill it in later? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UnRuli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008 01:35:16 PM »

It is not possible to layer a light color on top of a dark color so you will work from the lightest areas to the darkest areas.  You'll be able to layer darker colors over lighter colors to gradually build up your dark colors.  When you have to paint a dark area surrounding a lighter area you will paint AROUND the lighter area.  Also note that you don't want to put in your darkest darks until the very end because it's so easy for them to bleed in to lighter areas when you don't want them to.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coco:)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008 09:39:02 PM »

thats so good for your first time, i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zlimone
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008 08:30:51 AM »

don't be too hard on yourself, watercolour can be tricky, but your bird looks excellent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Inside Delancey with Molly Wizenberg
How to Lose Weight with Your Partner from Love Me Slender
Henny by Elizabeth Rose Stanton
Lynn Cullen Talks Edgar Allen Poe and MRS. POE
Simon Sinek on Finding Inspiration to Write His Book "Leaders Eat Last"
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...