A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,672
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my big F.U. to urbanoutfitters gone wrong...  (Read 5358 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluxxii
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009 09:21:27 PM »

I know which quilt you're talking about, as I've been lusting after it also! Even if it's not aligned properly, it's either totally unnoticeable or makes it look nice and eccentric! You did great though, it's really awesome. : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009 09:52:32 PM »

awwwww thanks everyone! you guys are so precious
i guess i'm the only one nitpicking at it since my bro's bff AND my bff asked me to make them one Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009 07:21:07 AM »

Ugh, I'm with you..  I'm about 3/4s done with my first quilt (same thing, I saw this amazing $300 bohemian quilt and thought it would look cooler with retro fabrics)..  Right now, I have 3 more seams and the edging left to do and a huge pucker almost right in the middle  Angry  Nice job, hopefully since somebody else finished, I'll finally get done with mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftycaitie
Caitlin's World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009 09:09:33 AM »

How big are the squares? Now I want to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cutek94
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009 11:18:17 AM »

awww your quilt is so cute!  Cheesy
i love it good job  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting = my love <3
Woolylogic
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009 12:53:31 PM »

This is lovely and I agree with you that quilting is HARD. I tried it a couple of summers ago and the result is something of which we do not speak in my house (it's unfinished and has been crumpled up into a bag and shoved inside the closet). I have great respect for quilters. Congratulations on your fabulous new blanket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samanpka
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009 07:07:53 PM »

Actually that looks great! My first quilt was also patchwork squares like that and it came out horribly mismatched (not like yours, which honestly looks perfectly fine to me), but I still love it. Little mistakes are just visual evidence of something being homemade and not mass produced! I hear you on the Urban Outfitters thing. Whenever I go in there and see the quilts they sell I get really angry because although they are really cute, they are very overpriced, and I think that buying a mass produced arty quilt really just defeats the purpose of owning such an item in the first place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009 02:12:45 AM »

Actually that looks great! My first quilt was also patchwork squares like that and it came out horribly mismatched (not like yours, which honestly looks perfectly fine to me), but I still love it. Little mistakes are just visual evidence of something being homemade and not mass produced! I hear you on the Urban Outfitters thing. Whenever I go in there and see the quilts they sell I get really angry because although they are really cute, they are very overpriced, and I think that buying a mass produced arty quilt really just defeats the purpose of owning such an item in the first place.

i coudn't have said it better Cheesy it is so true and i gush whenever i get compliments for it

How big are the squares? Now I want to make one!
i don't think this is mathematically correct since i didnt take seam allowance into account but the four corners are 8X8, the edges are 6X8 and all the ones inside are 6X6. i did and extra two inches on the edges because that's how thick i wanted the binding to be but the edges are 1/4" bigger lengthwise than the squares in the middle because the binding was 2" and the seam was 1/4 so 8-2.25 = 5.75 instead of 5.5 like all the squares in the middle. i hope that makes sense! and i have a blanket that used to be my moms that i've been using for years and its the perfect size so i took its measurements and went with it but i think it's gotten distorted throughout the years because i dont think 6x8" is even a standard quilt/blanket size...

This is lovely and I agree with you that quilting is HARD. I tried it a couple of summers ago and the result is something of which we do not speak in my house (it's unfinished and has been crumpled up into a bag and shoved inside the closet). I have great respect for quilters. Congratulations on your fabulous new blanket!

thanks so much! and i know what you mean, i felt like mine would never see the light of day again but anything is possible Wink

thanks again everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacey0828
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010 08:02:27 AM »

I like it a lot!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

timecrafter
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010 07:27:52 AM »

I love it! It reminds me of a quilt my mom made from scraps of fabric she used to make many of my dresses when I was a little girl...I loved that quilt!  This is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Final Death of the Novel
Exposing Scientology
Margaret Atwood on Writing Dystopia
Bob Woodward on the USA’s Leadership
Richard Doetsch on Thieves of Legend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...