A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas for surfaces?  (Read 1436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachel_
« on: March 09, 2005 08:25:37 AM »

For my art exam, I plan to do a huge painting, well I say huge, about 1m square. The only problem is, I have no idea what surface to paint it on to. I can't afford a canvas that size, and paper and card might be a little too thin. I plan to use acrylics/oil paints, so I need a surface that will be okay with that, any ideas?

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilylee
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005 08:36:06 AM »

Hi Rachel
Have you ever tried Masonite? It is pretty cheap and you should be able to get it at your local hardware store.  Just give it a light sand and gesso the surface the same as you would a canvas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005 01:22:36 PM »

This is off topic but if one were to paint on cardboard with acrylic paints is gesso necessary?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
lilian
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005 08:01:08 AM »

you'd probably get a smoother, more even surface but i'm not 100% sure...

could you use some sort of cheap wood maybe?  Or is that more expensive than the canvas that you're looking at.

edited to add, maybe you could back up the paper with some cardboard to make it more sturdy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katt sith

Gourds, gourds, gourds!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005 09:50:33 PM »

I had to do a maxi painting for an art project, and ended up doing it on a large piece of wood;I primed it with house paint.

Other students I knew went dumpster diving and got large pieces of glass, a sheet of rusting metal, dented plastic, astroturf and bubble wrap from Home depot and a packing store respectively.  I also remember someone found two old wooden doors...  As long as you can prime it you can paint on all kinds of surfaces.   One girl actually stretched a couple of yards of muslin fabric over a handmade wooden frame and used that.

maybe you can do the painting comprised of a lot of smaller canvases/ other materials and  just press them together, then when you display them pull them apart to look like separate window panes.
Uhm.  I hope this made sense to anyone but me.

-Katt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coco_pie
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005 03:26:21 AM »

hi
y dont u take a cheap wooden frame the same size as u want ur painting to  b and then cover it with a plain thick quailty but cheap cotton fabric. the kind they use for lining in sofas etc. and then u can paint on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mia Ow
http://MiaOw.etsy.com

meow baby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005 03:40:44 AM »

This is off topic but if one were to paint on cardboard with acrylic paints is gesso necessary?

The gesso creates a more sutable surface for painting.  It will bleed into the cardboard and fill some of the pores so you don't have to go through tons of acrylic paint.  It also creates a white surface to paint on, your colors will be more vibrant and true.

Cheaper than gesso, you can get primer paint at a hardware store but make sure its WATERBASED otherwise your painting will peel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meow baby
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005 01:14:52 PM »

The gesso creates a more sutable surface for painting.  It will bleed into the cardboard and fill some of the pores so you don't have to go through tons of acrylic paint.  It also creates a white surface to paint on, your colors will be more vibrant and true.

Cheaper than gesso, you can get primer paint at a hardware store but make sure its WATERBASED otherwise your painting will peel.

Thanks! That helps Smiley !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
sedikit
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005 07:25:49 PM »

One idea is to paint over something else.  I work at goodwill and we get large ugly motel paintings fairly often, you could buy one cheap and prime it (with flat house paint or primer) then paint away.  Another idea is to paint on a salvage door - if it odesn't have to be a specific size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any."
Alice Walker
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph Pets
How to Photograph Kids
How to Photograph Objects
How to Photograph a Sequence
How to Use Window Light in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...