A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What fast meals do you ALWAYS have on hand?  (Read 5504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009 07:52:39 PM »

I'm going to take the risk of sounding like a vegan nazi, but be careful which beers you are drinking, as some are not vegan! There is more info at this website: http://www.barnivore.com

Sorry if any of you already knew this.

Thanks for that site. Lots of good information. It's links like this that help people learn. All new vegetarians/vegans can make errors.

And thank goodness Grey Goose Vodka is vegan friendly!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
car_rides
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009 07:53:08 AM »

Lots of soup!  Also, I always have hummus, fresh vegetables, and bread for yummy veggie sandwiches.  Oatmeal is one of my favorites as well.  Oh, and granola or fruit and nut bars (particularly larabars)... yummmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scarves, hats, earrings, elephants... whatever I feel like crafting is all here:
http://eatinglightning.etsy.com
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009 01:54:07 PM »

miso soup packets warmed up with diced extra firm tofu is fast and simple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
mermaid melanie
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009 07:41:18 PM »

My roomate and I ALWAYS have spaghetti, rice, and peanut butter! We also keep frozen/canned vegetables to add to the rice as well as some spices to make a nice what we call slop. We usually have potatoes too...I usually put italian dressing on mine...yummy. I ALWAYS have bananas and other produce...I can't go without it man!

What is really good if you blend dates and water together until you get a paste, and you can use it as a veggie and fruit dip. So yummy, it's like caramal but doesn't make you feel like crap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msmadeline
list-maker extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009 05:53:06 PM »

lately, i've been trying to cut back on my tomato consumption, only because it's staining the bands on my braces... Sad

but i usually have stir fry makings (tofu, brown rice, stir fry veggies, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic)

what my mom calls italian three bean chili (brown rice, red, black, and white beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, squeeze of fresh lemon, and recently greens like spinach, or turnip greens)

soup is quick and easy and often cheap, too. a major plus. we like white bean soup. saute an onion and garlic in EVOO in med high heat, add celery, carrot, and caramelize until browned, but still firm, de-glaze pan with 1/4 or so veg broth(flavaa) add broth, white beans, handful of brown rice, basil, salt, ground pepper, bayleaf, and simmer. at the very end add turnip green or spinach. it's very healthy. serve it with bread..love love love it.

sometimes if you have whole wheat pitas around we make little pizzas on them. the possibilities are endless. capers, sun dried tomatoes, pesto...oh man. just whatevers in the fridge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yumramen
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009 02:29:38 PM »

I always have sweet potatoes/ yams on hand, because they are so easy and delicious to roast; all you have to do is preheat oven to 400, peel and cut potatoes into large-ish cubes, toss with a little oil and various seasonings, roast for 20 min, et voila! Deliciousness.

(they're really good roasted with garlic, five spice and ginger, and topped with sesame seeds and a little agave)

(try brussel sprouts too)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009 12:35:20 PM »

Maybe I've been spoiled, but my favorite quick meal also happens to be "gourmet" =D

Risotto a la Milanese, made by sauteing thinly sliced onion in a little water and rock salt (more flavor, if ya didn't know) until translucent. Then, add short grain rice (we use arborio valencia short grain- really cheap, works great, and easily available in the US) and saute until all the moisture is absorbed. Cook, adding a ladle-full at a time of hot broth, mixed with saffron for color, until al dente. Then, swirl in a Tbsp of butter and some grated parm. Top it off with some easy white beans:

Saute a clove of minced garlic in olive oil, add some great northern beans (rinsed), broth, 1/2 cup petite diced canned tomatoes, and about 3 minced sage leaves. Simmer for a few minutes, until reduced by half. Top with lots of freshly ground black pepper.

Enjoy!

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but if you've never heard of it, "Nonna's Italian Kitchen" is an amazing cookbook that will open up a whole new veggie/vegan world to you. It changed my ways of thinking about food, and it gave me great veggie alternatives to food that I've grown up with all my life. Check it out, it's completely Vegan!

*Edit*
Forgot one thing that I *do*, literally, always keep on hand. It's not vegan (although it could be, easily, with the removal of feta cheese), but it's my #1 favorite:

Greek Salad! Romaine or mixed dark greens, tossed with kalamata olives (a few will do, they're very strongly flavored), halved grape tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, sliced banana peppers, feta cheese, thinly sliced red onion, all dressed with an emulsion (read: shake vigorously in a small container) of olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced and mashed garlic, pinch of oregano, salt and pepper.
On the side, I have pita chips, or pita bread brushed with olive oil and garlic and placed under the broiler for a minute to heat and soften/crisp the top. Talk about some serious flavors!

If I'm in the mood for something a little more substantial but with the same base flavors, I mix everything with a base of cooked and cooled pearl barley rather than romaine, and forgo the pita. Still delicious, but will keep you full MUCH longer.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009 02:56:14 PM by fragolina_piccolina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009 11:22:59 PM »

>.< I keep thinking of things to add onto this list!!

~Black Bean Rice Wraps:
1/2 can seasoned black beans, heated with some water, garlic and seasoning salt added
1/2 package Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice, added at the end of heating the beans, just long enough to soften the rice
2 handfuls shredded lettuce
finely chopped tomato, few tbsp
1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
Vinaigrette, made by rubbing minced garlic with kosher salt, then adding pepper, red wine vinegar, tsp of Dijon mustard, olive oil until emulsified

Layer everything but the vinaigrette into 3 or 4 spinach wraps, sprinkle some of the vinaigrette on top, roll up and heat in a hot nonstick pan, seam side down, until little brown patches appear. Turn, and repeat. Serve with extra olive oil or vinaigrette sprinkle on top, after cutting in half to expose the yummy insides.

~My "happy salad"
1/2 can unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, at room temperature
1/3 cup corn, canned, or freshly cooked
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper (raw)
1 jalapeno pepper (seeded if desired), minced

Mix all these together, then sprinkle 1 Tbsp flax oil on top, and enough light olive oil to coat everything thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and dig in! This salad makes me happy
1)because of all the wonderful colors
2)the substantial amount of fat
3)high in omega-3s
4)complete protein
5) "the more you toot..." Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009 03:41:03 AM »

Wow, that wrap sounds amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Em_britton
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009 12:51:56 AM »

So i know that i'm adding way late, but in the off chance anyone else come across this. No one said CURRY. You can add about anything to it. Seriously, potatoes, tomatoes, broc, carrots, peas, mushrooms, peppers, colliflower, tofu, pineapple, anything.

And it's super easy to make.

*a can or two of coconut milk
*curry paste (I very highly recommend "Mae Ploy" it's totally from Thailand and the best flavor wise. They have green, red and yellow. And for over TWO pounds of this paste it's $4.49 the same price as the little ass jars of the asian/american stuff. FYI though the green and red have shrimp paste in them.)
*veggie/fruit/protein
*rice or noodles

Mix paste with coconut milk, add veggie/fruit/protein and simmer. Pour on top or rice or noodles.

p.s. I don't actually make it my better half does. We love it! And eat curry about once a week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ONE LOVE
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Muse of Barry Ptolemy
The Morality of Filming South African Vineyards
Photoshop CS5 Beta Review
Censorship and Slashers
Interview with Roger Nygard
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...